Constant Working Out & Eating Decent. Nothing :(

Options
2»

Replies

• akunkle12112
    akunkle12112 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use this website as a tool along with my diet from a local nutritionist. My nutritionist says record EVERYTHING you eat in a food journal-- paper or MFP. Last summer I lost 20 pounds while in college by following the diet they gave me and now starting again after seeing my wedding pictures. The key is to eat as much lean proteins and vegetables and limit carbs and fruit to two a day. My problem is snacking and carb intakes and on this diet I am satisfied and not hungry enough to grab junk food. They also suggest drinking three cups of hot lemon water which is a natural diuretic and helps tremendously with bloat in the pooch area! Already in two days i'm down 5 pounds (they call first three days quick start). Starting tomorrow I add fruit and carbs. I plan when on campus and at work to eat every 2 -2.5 hours to keep metabolism up and i lose weight easily! Average about 3.5 pounds a week and am always full and satisfied. Try tweaking snacks and meals for leaner proteins and pack/ carry healthy snacks at all times so you don't over eat. Best thing is I don't even have to exercise, but I do Zumba also to keep toned! Hope some of this info helps.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I need to be more consistent with the food diary then.

Work out wise is it cool for like Tues/Thurs aerobics class. Then Mon/Wed/Fri weight & bike?

Like the work outs combined with keeping track of food should equal some results, ya?

Yeah, should be fine as long as you're happy doing it. The weight training is crucial, and you can do as much or as little cardio as you like and adjust your calories accordingly. But, for the sake of figuring out your starting point, keep your program the same for the next week while you're doing your initial serious calorie tracking. After a week, then you can start mucking around with calories and workout schedule, if need be.

But, you know how your progress has worked with your current schedule, so knowing the exact details of your calorie consumption is invaluable information for setting up your program going forward. If you skip this step, you're introducing more guesswork and will have to wait for results with each change you make. Taking one week of tracking will save you a lot of time in the long run figuring out your numbers, since you've already invested the time and energy dieting and exercising.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It's not just about eating less, it's about eating right. Make sure you are getting significant micro-nutrients, water and fiber.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'd guess you're eating more than you think you are. Most of the time you're not even tracking.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    For college cafeterias: salads and the salad bar are your friends.
  • healthylife56
    Options
    It's not just about eating less, it's about eating right. Make sure you are getting significant micro-nutrients, water and fiber.

Exactly. Eating right is important. And drink you water water water!
  • eveadams721
    eveadams721 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    1. Eat at a calorie deficit by tracking what you eat.
    2. exercise.
    3. Be patient and repeat 1 and 2.

This is so true, but my biggest dragon to slay is not the calories but the paitence. That's the biggy for me.
    I'm like a yoyo, up and down, chocolate truffles daily, pecan pie, you think maybe that has something to do with all the calories? duhhhh.....I have got to do better..my daily goal is 1300 calories and I am not able to manage a good solid day of eating right and just 'doing it'..anyone else have that problem..
  • eveadams721
    eveadams721 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Can you please explain what TDEE is...I'm a little new at this stuff and would like to take a better hold of my loss..
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would start by actually doing the MFP program - tracking your food everyday.

Don't be surprised by the results you don't get for the work you didn't do.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If your not lifting weights, you should cut some of the cardio, and do some really intense lifting. The scale isn't going to change as much, but believe me, you will. And that's the goal right?
  • daggs95
    daggs95 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was overestimating what I was eating before here. I would think something was a cup but it was really 1/2 or 3/4, same for meat. So I was undereating for years. This made the difference (and taking chasteberry to regulate hormonal problems..which is the reason why I had weight to lose--from weight never gone from pregnancy). You do need to know 5 main things

1-why you have weight to lose to begin with
    2-what you can change or do deal with number one
    3-how and what you are eating,(so keep track for awhile but don't make any changes)
    4-get your TDEE, log all of your activities, find out your body fat % (google this, there are gyms, products, lots of ways) numbers are power
    5- No matter where you are on your quest, learning to love, respect and accept yourself is most important. Some people think they need to lose a certain amount of weight because of the scale or a BMI, but until you know your whole story with fat/muscle, frame size many other factors. You can't decide some number that will make you feel where you should be. If I did that I would think I needed to lose 60 lbs as apposed to need to lose just 10, want to lose 18. BIG friggin difference from 60lbs .
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I think those 7 pounds should definitely be considered a success! Obviously you are doing SOMETHING right, perhaps, as a lot of people have already said, you just need to ramp up the tracking a little bit, and be more diligent about logging EVERYTHING you are eating. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Also, I am not too sure if there is already a thread about this... but if anyone has any information on what do to for college kids.

I'm 20 & live on campus... and the caf food blows because I can never tell how much the calories are.

Do you know the name of the company that is responsible for the cafeteria food? Sodexo would be an example and I believe that their food is in the database.
  • searolex
    Options
    The only way to lose weight is to eat fewer calories than your body consumes. Eat a balanced diet, don’t go mad with the exercise. I have lost 19 lbs since I started with MFP in August. No fancy diet or exercise regime – just a change in my eating habits. I got my inspiration from Paul McKenna’s book “I can make you thin”.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    With the college food, if they don't post it in the eating halls then contact the vendor through their office on campus. The students at ours demanded nutrition info and got it. We have Aramark here, but Sodexho was pretty sympathetic too when they were here, wouldn't post it but would provide upon request.
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Judging from your picture it looks like your already at your goal-weight or close....You lose weight slower the closer you get to your goal and this could be why you've only lost roughly 1 pound a month. Or --- your not eating at a big enough defecit to make a difference to your weight-loss