underactive thyroid

Options
Hi i have just been told by my doctor that i have a underactive thyroid and i have been put on levothyroxine 50mg
i have gained weight and i was hoping that i would lose it now
is any one esle on this and has it help you and also how soon does it start to work.

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    hi. I also have underactive thyroid and was on the 50 dose until I got pregnant then it was increased. I think it did help a little. I don't know if there was a DIRECT effect on weight loss but after I started on the meds I had more energy to workout and be out and about which resulted in increased caloric deficit (as long as I kept my intake constant) and hence more weight loss.
    I think you'll notice a difference too, good luck!!
  • joyceellison
    joyceellison Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am on 125 I put a lot of weight on but have joind MFP and watching what I eat and have lost 2 stone,It hard to loose it with thyroid problems
  • horselady34
    horselady34 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was born without the thyroid gland, its a constant struggle, even with medication:angry: ! I can relate!
  • TVISmith
    TVISmith Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I was first diagnosed with Grave's Disease and had radiation therapy to get rid of hyperthyroid. It ended up killing my entire gland and now I am considered hypothyroid. The levothyroxin works well for me. It does not cause the weight loss but it helps maintain the body's natural hormone levels to regulate everything. Good luck!
  • msmari09
    Options
    I too have hypothyroidism, the medicine helps, but I don't know about the weight loss. I have lost weight, but I find it a bit harder with more work and time because of the hypothyroid, but it is not impossible.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroid since age 19 (55 now). I have always been on the heavy side. Not sure if it is the lack of feeling like doing anything and just plain old eating anything in sight or having the metabolism slow down that causes weight gain.

In any case, It took me a long time to finally lose weight this time because I took the time to find a way that would work for ME and made the commitment to follow through. Things that I had taken lightly before.

It is possible to lose weight with hypothyroid disease, but like with any weight loss program it takes dedication to the new forever lifestyle.

Best of luck to you! If it were easy, everyone would be thin and fit regardless of their thyroid condition! = D
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Just to add to what I wrote before.. if you have a straightforward case of hypothyroidism and get on the correct dose (for you), I don't think there's ANY reason you should not reach your goals if you work for them. Once it's being managed it shouldn't be harder for you than for anyone else.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Once you are on the right dose you should be able to lose weight. Some people find it slightly more difficult to lose weight even on the right dose but it does come off, just a little more slowly. Many people can lose weight as though they don't have a thyroid problem when they are on the right dose.

It is quite likely you will need an increase in dose before you get to what is right for you so don't panic if you don't lose much weight right away. It can also take a little while before you feel totally better.

I don't convert levothyroxine very well so I used to take liothyronine (the already converted form). When I was on the right dose I had no trouble losing weight and keeping it off. Unfortunately the PCT decided that the GPs aren't allowed to prescribe it anymore due to cost so I was put on levothyroxine and became very ill. I now take dessicated pig thyroid and am doing much better again. Most people do very well on levothyroxine. I'm just one of the weird ones :bigsmile:

I wish you a speedy recovery so you can reach your goals very soon.

Carolyn xxx
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I took m y first pill of levothyroxine 50mg this morning. After my blood results :/ I have lost 19 lbs in lat 2 months being on 1700 cal diet, 3 times a week swim and twice a week fitness. I feel more focused and bright just after 3 hours of first pill. feels good.