My name is Debbie and I'm a veggie hater....

Options
I am posting this in hopes of finding friends that can support me and I will gladly do the same for them.

History: Obese all my adult life and have tried to lose weight most of it. Sometimes I would do really good and then something happens and off I went and started gaining the weight back.

My biggest issue is not the exercise but the food. I hate fruits and veggies for the most part. The few I like are actually starches. I always wanted to do this my way by cutting portions and making foods as healthy as I can by cutting unneeded calories and doing things like baking or grilling verses frying up everything in sight.

Fast forward to now. Recently I have had seriously energy crashes for the last two months I stay tired and move to exhausted. I have sleep apnea (light case) and that may or may not have something to do with it because sleeping usually does not mean a lot of rest with all the moving I do.

I have come to the realization that my body is probably catching up to all the years of junk it has had. So, I am now willing to fight this like I have never before. I actually did a search and found on here where a fellow veggie hater asked for ideas on how to get more fruits and veggies in and there was a long list of great ideas. I am borrowing those ideas in order to get more fruits and veggies in my life. This is a major issue with me. I have fought veggies during various parts of my life where I tried them for a few months and just gave up on them.

It may be childish, but I know there will be days that I look at the food and go, I dont want to do this any more. I give up or I just plain rebel. That is why I am looking for people that are active on here and may have a few minutes of their precious time to give a friend and I will return the favor.

Thanks for listening, Debbie

Replies

• oheylexie
    Options
    I only like a few fruits (mainly the sugar filled ones) but i HATE veggies too. Rather than forcing yourself to eat something you don't like, why not take vitamin tablets instead? Cutting out all fizzy drinks help a load and just cutting down on rubbish. Nobody needs vegetables to lose weight, just take vitamin substitutes with small and regular meals :smile:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't have much time to post, so I'll just quickly say; Mango, pineapple, melon, roast parsnip, roast onion and stir fry.
  • brandie_lou
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm in the exact same boat. Except for the sleep apnea, I'm the opposite, I have insomnia (severe case...takes several ambien to knock me out). I decided last year I wanted to change to healthier habits. It's been hard. I've never liked veggies, not even as a child. It's not a question of just taste, lets just say it is very tailored but if there is even tomato juice on a piece of bread, I'll throw up. I don't eat lettuce, onions, cucumbers, olives, bell peppers, spinach, squash, any of it. With the slight exception to a tiny bit of romaine lettuce and carrots at times. I don't eat steamed veggies unless they're steamed to mush (which means a lot of the nutrients are gone).

What I have done is just try to make baby steps. I eat low fat yogurt, small portions of fruit, protein shakes (Ensure high protein has been my favorite, because you get 14 oz but right now I'm doing the Myoplex because they're cheaper) and I usually replace one meal with a shake and some fruit. I do oatmeal, lots of water, egg white omelets, almonds. Smaller portions but throughout the day to keep your metabolism up. After a while, small portions will help you feel fuller with smaller meals, so you can for example, have a kids meal instead of a full size huge adult meal. Protein and lots of water also help you to feel fuller, longer.

And what I learned today, last night I did 35 minutes on the elliptical (about 3.5 mph) for over a mile and it burned around 225 calories. Today as I looked down at some Reese's peanut butter cups (the small ones in the wrapper), two of them has 220 calories. Never before have I STOPPED DEAD IN MY TRACKS at anything, I realized how hard I had to work to burn off those calories. Once you educate yourself and start learning, you'll see what I didn't know as a "regular" person; bad nutrition is rampant and if you don't educate yourself, you don't any better. It's a daily battle for me. And some days, and some times, I take a break from it all. One thing I wish I could get rid of is the intense guilt. I feel so guilty if I have bad food but it's so hard to live and eat healthy. I don't care if I lose 150 lbs, it will always be easier and sooooo much cheaper to drive through McDonalds and get a few cheeseburgers.

Feel free to add me, I'm looking for encouragement, too :)
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't exactly hate them, but there are other things I would rather eat. Bacon? Turkey and stuffing and gravy? I do take a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement. And I'm attempting to introduce some veggies into my diet. The low-cal, low carb type.

Broccoli and asparagus aren't too bad. I'd rather have the broccoli doused in cheese sauce and the asparagus coated in Holandaise (sp?) sauce, but that would defeat the purpose.

Then I read things like "corn is not a vegetalbe, it's a grain!" and that, too is discouraging. The amount of sugar in tomatoes doesn't help. Raw veggies are okay if dipped in veggie dip. Again, defeating the purpose.

I was forced to eat various things as a child because my brother liked them. Yeah, sure, I'm like six years old and told how I must eat fried eggplant because my brother liked it. I will NOT force feed myself anything. That is cruel to do to a child and senseless to do to oneself.
  • Brewster1215
    Brewster1215 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'll eat potatoes, corn, and salad stuff (with dressing)...but for the most part I'm the same. Not a veggie fan, just saying
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    Usually when I have friends come around who aren't fans of fruit or veggies (and I'm a vegetarian) I make something like a super cheesy pizza (with low fat cheese, whole wheat crust) with some veggies between the sauce and cheese. Or I make tacos a lot, or even a combo- Taco pizza! You use whole wheat (or regular if you'd like) crust, spread a layer of beans (I use refried) and a layer of cheese. Bake until crispy and melty, then top with chopped tomato, onion, pepper and lettuce...maybe a bit more cheese. I add salsa to the top and enjoy! It's one of my favorite dishes. Maybe smoothies that integrate chocolate of peanut butter and a fruit or berry- I might do chocolate soy milk, greek yogurt and some raspberries or blackberries. It's a matter of integrating them into items you already enjoy rather than force feeding yourself veggies and fruits alone.

Oh, and the stores have this glorious vanilla bean cream cheese fruit dip in the produce section. It's not horrible for you (in moderation) and makes pineapple, grapes, berries, apples, everything a super yummy dessert (I tend to like to dip my fruits in peanut butter or low fat caramel dip for a treat too).
  • rcalvert1
    rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im Ranee and also a veggie hater. I will say that Ive done alot of research and yes we really need to eat our veggies. There isnt a magic little pill that we can take. Is it better than nothing at all, sure but its not what our bodies need to be all that it can be. So, what I have done is I have picked one veggie that I think I can stomach and find all sorts of different receipes for it. Then I will cook it all different ways until I find the way for me. For example, asparagus ... doesnt sound very yummy does it. Well it does to me when you mix some olive oil and garlic salt to coat it with, spinkle a little parm cheese and bake. Five minutes before done spinkle just a little moz cheese and return until melted. What a difference! Very yum and now I crave it. Now Im working on egg plant, I'll let you know how that goes ... I already sent a friend request.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome in!

Perhaps trying one or two new fruits and veggies at a time might help. If you like pasta, try the whole-wheat versions
    There is also various juices made with veggies (V-8 is a prime example).

In the meantime, do try a multivitamin to make up for the vitamins you're NOT getting. And water.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,071 Member
    Options
    Part of your past overeating problem was because you aren't eating the foods your body needs to supply life-giving nutrients. Once you start eating vegetables (start with baby steps, like one a day) you'll find it much easier to lose weight.
  • TVISmith
    TVISmith Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try some of the recipes from cookbooks for mothers to hide veggies in the meal.
  • myliberty
    Options
    I too am in the same boat, but the funny thing is I can't actually eat alot of veggies or fruit unless it is peeled or cooked to death. (YUCK) I also can't have berries. So that being said I can have these things if I juice and strain them. But I did find The Naked juice which isn't too bad I dilute it with water right now and I will gradually add less water. Maybe you can incorporate some veggies and fruits into smothies too. It can be kind of a drag so try to make it fun.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Do you like spaghetti sauce? You could puree some vegetables and add them to the sauce. You probably won't even taste them if you don't use a ton and stick to mild flavors.

I'm really picky about how veggies are prepared. The crispier the better. What about raw carrots with some Marzetti's veggie dip? Raw celery with peanut butter or cream cheese? Steamed broccoli with parmesan and garlic?

I'm not a fan of mothers hiding pureed broccoli in brownies because it teaches kids they don't have to eat their veggies and can just have chocolate instead (and don't even get me started on who should be the boss at the dinner table), but I think it's okay for adults. :)
  • somemansdream
    Options
    Such wonderful replies already and for those that sent friends request, I have accepted them.

So many of the ideas I'm hearing are exactly the types of things that came up when I researched the topic. There is no doubt that mixing the fruits or veggies within the meal is going to be the best way.

I do like v-8 juice. Today I bought some orange juice and had a serving with lunch. I did chase it with water. I started that with the v-8 juice and that helped and I can now drink it alone. I'm thinking over time, I can do the same with the orange juice. I also picked up strawberries that will be mixed up with protein shakes. The only veggie for this week is celery. I will be taking a few products each week and working with them until I can figure out something to do with them (hopefully).

I am hoping to get a george foreman grill for christmas because grilling veggies was suggested with seasonings.

Thanks guys, Debbie
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    well....for me it's a little different...I actually LOVE veggies...however, in the past few years my stomach and body has done some strange things...and now almost all RAW veggies upset my stomach...I do have a case of gastritis, I have found...I eat out alot, so most of the veggies I get are from there...I eat baked potatoes frequently, always eat the skin for the nutrients...I try to have V-8 as much as I can...I also, lately, have had problems with food allergies...I make sure I take a good multi..as well as additional suppliments....if I don't then I have found myself getting very fatigued and weak...I am in the middle of being tested for Celiac, so this may also be a part of the fatigue......you might try to see if eliminating foods with gluten, ie: bread, pasta, anything with wheat, barley, and oats...and see if you have more energy...if it makes a difference, listen to your body....this is what happened to me...keep an eye out...google to get more info on this...

an edit...when I eat salads, I get NO energy from it....when I eat soup, I get energized....