I need a healthy recipe please help!

Options
SuperMammaLeah
SuperMammaLeah Posts: 93 Member
Alright folks my parents last minute told me they were coming down to visit me, the problem is my father wants me to make a lasagna for Christmas Eve, and a Spiral Ham on Christmas.

I need healthy recipes please. I am trying not to freak out, because I am doing so good, and have not gone over my calorie goals. How ever Lasagna is a weakness of mine and so is spiral ham.

I was not planning on making it at all this year, and well now I have to. So please any healthy recipes would be great.

Replies

• SuperMammaLeah
    Options
    Anyone willing to throw some ideas my way?
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    would you consider an eggplant lasanga?
  • SuperMammaLeah
    Options
    I would consider just about anything to make it a lasagna and it still be healthier then what it normally is.
  • lizzyholiman
    lizzyholiman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Go to Skinnytaste.com. You'll find something for sure.
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what a spiral ham is but lasagne is a favourite of mine too, and a weakness. My recipe is as follows: 700g lean (95%fat-free or less) beef mince, 1 onion, 1 medium carrot, 1 celery stick, 2 garlic cloves, 1 bottle of tomato based pasta sauce (I use Leggo's napoletana 575g), 2 bay leaves, 1/2C beef stock salt reduced, 1/2C red wine. I fry off onion and other veggies (if you want to bulk it out so it's more substantial add in extra veggies like zucchini, pumpkin, etc) in 2 tsp oil until soft. Add mince and stir breaking up until nicely browned. Add stock, wine, bay leaves and pasta sauce/passata. Bring to boil then simmer, stirring until desired consistency reached (can be up to 1hour). I then make a light white sauce using 2 cups of skim/no fat milk, 30g light margarine (or if you don't like marg use butter but it will be a little higher in fat and calories), plus 50g plain flour and 1/2 tsp salt. I make two layers using only 2 sheets of fresh lasagne sheets in a smaller dish so the layers are thick, this keeps the calories down. For me I divide it to be 8 serves, and savour it because the flavour is devine! Make sure you serve with heaps of veggies or salad and enjoy!
  • cdublin
    Options
    go to www.eat-yourself-skinny.com. scroll through the recipe list. there is a recipe for three-cheese lasagna roll ups. See if that will work for you.
  • bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Ham is ham...not much you can do there...but lasagna I can certainly help with...hang on let me dig around for my previous answer I gave to someone on this same exact dish...

Ok found it, here you go.

First off you need to divulge your culinary talent level, are you a stouffer's cook, or do you know your way around some food? In the interest of saving time I'm going to assume you know the basics...

Calorie saver 1: MAKE YOUR OWN MARINARA. Seriously this is a sauce everyone ought to know how to make...if you need a recipie for a good one just post here, I'll check back and give you mine if necessary

Calorie saver 2: use 90/10 ground sirloin from a reputable meat purveyor...if you can get this it is a great compromise between flavor and lean clean meat.

Calorie saver 3: 86 most of the cheese...yeah you heard me...trust me, we can still make it very tasty...fresh grate some Parmesan cheese (just enough to have a light sprinkle for each layer) and sprinkle the top of that with powdered milk (I use powdered goats milk but regular is fine) this not only helps keep the calories down, but also helps keep the moisture content down so the lasagna holds its shape better for service, and the parmesan cheese is strong enough to still give you that cheesy flavor without a ton of calories.

Calorie saver 4: VEGGIES!!! Make sure to put some veggies in there, it helps fill the dish, and they're delicious. Some of the usual suspects in mine are fresh baby spinach, thinly sliced portabella mushrooms, thinly sliced zucchini, and thinly sliced eggplant just to name a few...the proper way to use these is to slice them (no more than 1/4" thick) then sprinkle with some salt and toss to coat and allow to sit in a collandar for about 10 min to pull out excess moisture spin in a salad spinner or pat gently with a paper towel afterwards for extra moisture removal.

As for the pasta...yeah it's high calorie, but realistically you're making 4 servings out of about 2 noodles (depending on how many layers, and the size of the portion) so it doesn't really matter as much as you might think.

Hope this helps :-)
  • Allyson1985
    Options
    I don't have a recipe right here handy, and if you do want it, send me a message - but you could make spinach and cottage cheese lasagna! Its one of my favorites. :)
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Alright folks my parents last minute told me they were coming down to visit me, the problem is my father wants me to make a lasagna for Christmas Eve, and a Spiral Ham on Christmas.

I need healthy recipes please. I am trying not to freak out, because I am doing so good, and have not gone over my calorie goals. How ever Lasagna is a weakness of mine and so is spiral ham.

I was not planning on making it at all this year, and well now I have to. So please any healthy recipes would be great.

Click on my profile and check my blog. I posted a healthy lasagna recipe not too long ago that I created in my kitchen. It's really good.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    it takes some work, but it is amazing.
    http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Butternut-Squash-Lasagna-with-Caramelized-Onions-Walnuts.aspx

for the ham, meh, can't help you with that.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You can use zucchini instead of noodles - find large zuchs and use a mandolin to slice them long and thin. Then you layer THOSE instead of pasta. Use ground turkey and lots of veggies instead of ground beef, use low fat ricotta or half ricotta and cottage cheese - and then use minimal sauce. And lastly, use discipline... of course you can enjoy your homemade, delicious holiday creation- but have a NORMAL sized portion- like a 4-5oz. piece instead of half a plate full! I know when I used to make lasagna-- it filled my whole plate! Those days are gone....

Good luck and have a great holiday!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Try Gina's Skinny Taste.com. I know the lowfat baked ziti with spinach is bangin good! I use whole grain rotini with it. The spinach lasagna rolls on her site are to die for!
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have a great :happy: all veggie recipe for lasagna, when do u need the recipe? I broke my arm typing 1 hand is tough :sad:
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You can make your normal lasagne recipe and make it quite a bit healthier by eliminating the meat and making it a spinach lasagna, or if meat is desired, use low fat ground turkey. Use skim or part-skim ricotta and mozzarella, and reduce the amount of cheese by about 25%. To further reduce the calories, Use thinly sliced peeled eggplant for every other layer of lasagne noodles. Peel and slice the eggplant, salt it lightly, and press it between paper towels to remove some of the moisture. Then, just treat it as if it were a lasagna noodle. Typically, I have two layers of noodle, and two layers of eggplant. Serve it with a big tossed salad and make sure that you have some reduced fat dressing on hand. You can have a big salad and go easy on the lasagna. As someone said, ham is ham! Just have a smaller portion and load up on vegetable and salad. And above all else enjoy your holiday and your family. One day of eating more than you usually do will not destroy your eating plan.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TVISmith
    TVISmith Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Go to Skinnytaste.com. You'll find something for sure.

Spinach lasagna roll ups...easy and delicious...I added diced mushroom to the recipe!
  • lokers13
    lokers13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know it doesn't sound like any fun, but try using eggplant and zucchini instead of noodles. I use either just the veggies or maybe one layer of no-bake noodles.

Also, another surprising (and yummy) substitution is to use silken tofu in the place of the ricotta cheese. I still add parmesan and mozzarella cheese with an egg to the tofu (and some basil and parsley). The texture and flavor to me are very close to the traditional cheese filling.

You can slice the eggplant and zucchini in 1/4 inch slices, lightly salt them, spray with olive oil spray, and roast for about 10 minutes before layering your lasagna.

Although the tofu is an excellent source of protein, I still like meat in my lasagna. I use Italian seasoned ground turkey.
  • elizcarman
    Options
    I made this lasagna and really liked it.
  • JnanaNari
    Options
    This is one of my favorite recipes. If you don't tell people what's in it, they will just think it's an awesome cheese & spinach lasagna. You really can't tell that there's a secret ingredient in it -- the tofu just tastes like, and has the texture of, ricotta cheese, and with a LOT fewer calories and far less fat.

Make sure to use low-fat versions of the cheeses called for (and you could omit the parmesan entirely, or use half the amount), and it brings down the calorie count a bit more.

http://www.food.com/recipe/3-cheese-spinach-lasagna-with-tofu-106244