Beginner at Running

Options
I've attempted to run many times in my life, I usually give up within a few weeks because I don't see any improvement.

Well, I'm trying to get into it again. I've been doing it for about 3 weeks now 4-5 days a week. I've been going in between 3.5 and 6.0, but I can really only push myself to 6.0 for maybe 30-45 seconds at a time, still. It's frustrating. Track running is even more disappointing.

The only time I was able to run and run well was in basic training, I was 18 and I had a drill instructor behind me the whole time, as soon as I finished basic I'd run just enough to barely scrape by with a passing pt score.

Replies

• impojr
    impojr Posts: 52
    Options
    It's important to never give up!

Beginning to run may be a little hard, but after a while you'll find that it becomes quite fun!

If you have a smart phone, there are plenty of apps that are specifically designed to help you progress from walking to running.

If that's not a viable option, I suggest just walking and then jogging for half a minute in between.

When I first starting running I walked. Then when I felt like I wanted to move more I timed myself between songs. Turns out I couldn't even run for half a chorus. But I kept going and then soon I could run for just a whole song. Now I can run for hours.

You just have to persist and keep at it :) ! Good luck!
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't bring my phone along with me to the gym, it's the only time I leave it in the trunk and forget about the rest of my life.

I'm not going to quit, I'm just annoyed its taking so long with 0 improvement.
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Do a program like Couch to 5k. I used the 5k running app every other day schedule and am currently using the 21k Runners app. I've learned to love it and before i started couldn't even run for a minute at a time. I've been running since May :) Keep it up!!!! You'll have good runs and bad ones... just keep on trekking!!!
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I never liked running before and I the only tool I had to measure my performance was the PT test to complete basic training. I think at that time (I was 20) I had to finish the 2 mile run in 16 minutes. Now I love running! I have to force myself to rest so I don't injure myself. I used the C25k app and the 5k210k app to help me with measuring my progress and push my endurance. I don't focus on performance much, just pushing myself to my limit. Running isn't for everybody, find the thing that you love and you won't give up!
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    have you tried couch to 5k (C25K)? it worked great for me!
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    I've tried it, like I said, I do not like to or plan to bring my phone into the gym with me. I know there are plenty of apps out there, but I'm a slave to that little thing and the gym is the only time I can leave it and forget it.

Even when I'd try the C25K thing, I'd struggle with every second of every run time. It sucks, frustrating,annoying and pretty damn embarrassing. I'm starting to think that maybe running just isn't for me.
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    Maybe I'll just stick to the whole divorce diet and just be skinny fat, much better than just being fat fat lol
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should focus on the fact that you are actually getting to the gym when you haven't in the past. You'll never be happy if you're just looking for better results.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Forget the phone, forget the app. #1-slow down. 6.0 is fast-I've been running a year and I don't think I could manage that pace for more than a few minutes. #2-make your own c25k-no app needed. Just run and walk when you need to-then run again. Or pick some interval of time-and set your run/walk times for that. Gradually increase the time you run and decrease the time you walk. No app necessary. But refer to #1-you're trying to run way way way too fast. Slow down-like a lot.
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    You'll never be happy if you're just looking for better results.

...Isn't that the point though? To get better results?
  • blantonjm1
    blantonjm1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have a run to walk program i use from Runners world. It gives you running an walking intervals that way you slowly build up to running for longer times. And you see progress because each week you increase your run time and decrease your walk time. And also you need to know, that starting out is tough. In fact for me it was really tough to start. I can remember thinking, " How am I going to run for 2 whole minutes? And then each week I would wonder how i was going to do but I just kept push and eventually I got to where it wasn't so challenging. But it is a lot of mental stuff when running. Battle your body, negativity toward your running and speed etc. I can send you the running program if you want. I recommend it to people a lot.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I dropped a heck of a lot of bodyfat with little to no cardio.. I made healthy choices when eating (ate at a deficit) and lifted weights. You don't HAVE to run to drop weight and chang your body... :-) Maybe find a partner for racquetball.. or swim.. or a beach volleyball game. Any kind of activity.. or, just focus on lifting. I did it from Sept-Dec and dropped a helluva lot of inches.
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    Forget the phone, forget the app. #1-slow down. 6.0 is fast-I've been running a year and I don't think I could manage that pace for more than a few minutes. #2-make your own c25k-no app needed. Just run and walk when you need to-then run again. Or pick some interval of time-and set your run/walk times for that. Gradually increase the time you run and decrease the time you walk. No app necessary. But refer to #1-you're trying to run way way way too fast. Slow down-like a lot.

I just feel like 5.5 or 5.0 is like a slow motion run lol I'll try this out though.

If not, my skinny fat will be my plan ;)
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    The idea of c25k is working on walk/run intervals... If u want to do it on the treadmill then simply write down what is needed and move up as you complete to the next level. Rest days are sooooo important in building up mileage as well. When I started, I never rested and my progression was so slow. As soon as I took rest days between my run days, I was able to progress. It seemed like forever to build up to 3 miles but once I reached that mark, I was able to increase faster. I did 2 half marathons this fall. I only really started running in Feb. You can do this!!!
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    And tredmill/track running gets OLD FAST. Free running.. or finding a local trail (here in Baton Rouge there's a 4+ mile trail around the "lakes") to mix it up and distract you really helps. At least it helps me... but I STILL don't love running, and I'm REALLY REALLY trying to.
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone, I really appreciate it.

I just try 6.0 because I feel like I'm actually moving. Towards the end of my runs I push it to 8.0 and go for maybe like 20-30 seconds.

It just sucks working out and not seeing ANY changes fitness wise. I'm only losing weight because of my diet. Well, my lack of an appetite.
  • kokoforskinny
    kokoforskinny Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You'll never be happy if you're just looking for better results.

...Isn't that the point though? To get better results?

Why don't you change your outlook first?? You need to look at this as a journey that will take time. You didn't put it all on in one night you sure ain't going to take it off in one night. 2.) If you want to run its going to be a slow process like everything else...You need to work your body into running you aren't going to go from 0 to 60 in 2 seconds. 3.) In order to get better results you need to work at it. If you would like to friend me maybe we can work on this together.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Honestly, what kind of changes do you expect in only "a few weeks"?
  • jmxxiiii
    Options
    Honestly, what kind of changes do you expect in only "a few weeks"?

Not wanting to die after 30 seconds?
  • nomsquared
    nomsquared Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Honey, you're going wayyyyyy too fast starting out. I know that it may seem like "slow motion running", but your body sure doesn't think so. Look - I started out at 5.0 mph, and now I'm at 6.0 mph after 1.5-2 months of daily running. Even at 5.0 mph, my body was cramping and breathing heavily when I started out. You're supposed to be able to run at a pace that you can still hold a conversation