Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
Is it worth purchasing a heart rate monitor? And what is the heart rate I should aim for?
Does it really help ?
I usually do cardio , when I do it, until my tshirt is soaked in sweat.....
Which brands are good? S
Should I get one that calculates calories burnt too?
No idea what to do......

Replies

• vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what I have.

I have a Polar FT60. It is water resistant, so you can swim with it on and there's no issues when you are drenched in sweat. I find that although it cannot predict EXACTLY what I burn, over time, I have learned to use the hrm to gauge how hard a workout is for me. Now I know that when I'm pushing and I feel like I can't go any more, it's not my brain giving up, it's my heart rate maxing out...I can see it right there on my wrist.

Polar FT60 has a chest strap that I wear under my breasts and directly under my sports bra.

I cannot tell you what heart rate to aim for, because you'll have to figure out what your max heart rate is. Mine is around 212. I figured that out through actual sprinting and running. The formula that is supposed to be for women to predict max heart rate puts my max around 183, which is no where NEAR what my max is. Anyway, after you use it a while, you will pair the exertion you are feeling with the number on the screen. I can tell you from memory right now what my heart rate will be doing a certain run or exercise.

Absolute best weight loss/motivation/training tool I own.

Cheapest I found my hrm was here: http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Yes it helps! From my experience the burns listed on mfp and on workout equipment is either over or under.

Personally, I use the Polar FT4 and I love it. Polar in general is awesome, and the real key is to just make sure you get an HRM with a chest strap. This will constantly monitor your heart rate on it's own and will calculate your calories burned for you.
  • Lovingmyboys89
    Lovingmyboys89 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    From my experience the hrm was neccessary! Mfp was completely off for my calorie burns I use a reebox version, which works great! Just make sure you get one with a chest strap!
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    It is worth it if you know how to use it. Read this:

http://www.endurancefactor.com/Articles/article-heartintro.html

Being soaked in sweat is not always the best thing to meet your goals. I found that I was running too fast to improve my endurance and that I should slow down. Pick a zone according to your goal, and your Lactic threshold heart rate. Most will give you a calorie burnt reading and are fairly accurate.
    It really helps ! it pushes you to work to the number you set to yourself and prevents you from slowing down too much or working too hard.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Is it worth purchasing a heart rate monitor?

No
    And what is the heart rate I should aim for?

None, because your heart rate has nothing to do with getting in shape
    Does it really help ?
    Absolutely not. Most likely it will be detrimental to your goals, unless one of your goals in entering the heart rate Olympics

Excellent. Why do you need a heart rate monitor to confirm that you worked out?
    Which brands are good?

They are all equally useless in helping you reach your goals

Have you been listening? You shouldn't get one at all.
    No idea what to do......

Save your money and just work out
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Lies. Post-exercise Heart Rate Recovery is related to VO2max, which is the best measure of cardiovascular fitness and exercise capacity. Faster HRR---->better CV fitness. :tongue:
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar HRM :)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I have one and find it useful.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Lies. Post-exercise Heart Rate Recovery is related to VO2max, which is the best measure of cardiovascular fitness and exercise capacity. Faster HRR---->better CV fitness. :tongue:

When does ESPN broadcast the CV FItnessLympics? Or does NBC have the rights to that too? I just love the background stories they do on all the CV Athletes. That stuff is so moving. Getting teary thinking about it. They all have such big hearts!
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

This is dead on IMO. Using a HRM for the last15 years I have become very in tune with my body and it has helped me to improve my fitness dramatically. It has helped pushed me to another level (you cant cheat or dog it as the HRM will tell the truth) of fitness and has dramatically improved my cardio and overall fitness. My VO2 level is over 65 and my resting heart rate is low 40's.

Like others I have found that the MFP cals burned is way off, so I wouldnt put too much stock in what they are telling you on the burn. Good luck
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yeah they're very beneficial on a number of fronts. The FT-4 is entry level in terms of pricing but it gives you everything you'd really want or need.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I think the point of that write up is based on the OP's likely current goals.

Which is nothing to do with CV fitness or performance. It's about getting a workout. At some point it may include performance, or being doing so much that having a better idea of calorie burn would be useful.

And if the pace is the same, the caloric burn is the same. Your own fitness level improves the carbs or fat being burned, but the calories stays the same.
  • Cjkaplangomez
    Options
    Thanks! Great info! Today, I bought the Polar FS100. Does yours beep with every heartbeat? The manual does not address the beeping?

Never mind:happy: found the whole manual online.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I use mine during sex but don't judge me! U know, it is a great idea!!!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I think the point of that write up is based on the OP's likely current goals.

Which is nothing to do with CV fitness or performance. It's about getting a workout. At some point it may include performance, or being doing so much that having a better idea of calorie burn would be useful.

And if the pace is the same, the caloric burn is the same. Your own fitness level improves the carbs or fat being burned, but the calories stays the same.

I was just ribbing dave. You're right.

/kicks rocks.
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank everybody for the input!
    I learned more than I was hoping :)
    Well, anyways, impulsive as I am, I was today in Marshalls so I picked up something called Mio Triumph for $39.99 + tax .... ( 13% here in Ontario). Expensive if you ask me.... I decided I can play with it a little and return it if I loose my interest.... at least I get to satisfy my curiosity....
    So far, I haven't quite figured out how to use it....
    I'll come back and post my feedback on it soon :)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Well, anyways, impulsive as I am, I was today in Marshalls so I picked up something called Mio Triumph

You're going to be disappointed. If you really could get a constant accurate heart rate without a chest strap then Polar or Garmin would be selling their products without them.

What do you want a HRM for? If you're just running inside on a treadmill then you can probably just use the guesstimate on the machine as being okay enough. I wouldn't take more than 10 calories a minute as your calories burned though. Is there a reason for you to know your heart rate or are you just wanting to measure calories burned? What are you doing for cardio exercise?
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I thought about getting one of the ones from Walmart but i dont know if i want the watch one or chest strap one. I have heard the strap is more accurate.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I thought about getting one of the ones from Walmart but i dont know if i want the watch one or chest strap one. I have heard the strap is more accurate.

It is. The non-strap one usually requires you to hold your fingers to some sensors. So it takes the inaccuracy out of just counting it manually, but you still are stopping for some seconds to get a count. That is accurate right then.

But what about the other 97% of the workout time?

Get the chest strap one.

And if you are interested in calorie counts, that will be really bad with a cheaper HRM

Just take your workout time and the average HR during the session that should be given to you when finished, to the spreadsheet linked in this post, the HRM tab.
    You'll get the Polar formula treatment with all the tweaks even the cheaper Polar's don't have.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Is it worth purchasing a heart rate monitor?

No
    And what is the heart rate I should aim for?

Does it really help ?
    Absolutely not. Most likely it will be detrimental to your goals, unless one of your goals in entering the heart rate Olympics

Excellent. Why do you need a heart rate monitor to confirm that you worked out?
    Which brands are good?

They are all equally useless in helping you reach your goals

Have you been listening? You shouldn't get one at all.
    No idea what to do......

Save your money and just work out

All this ^^^^^^^^^ and a bag of chips.