Does it ever get easier buying jeans!?!?!

Options
I swear this is the first topic I've EVER posted!!!!!!!!

I'm 5'9" and weigh 177. I'm now (as I discovered shopping today) a US size 10. SO EXCITING!!! I started out in a US size 24 (90 lbs ago).

"Before" I used to visit Lane Bryant and Torrid and EVERY store on the face of the earth that had plus size jeans. As I've lost weight, finding jeans was still a chore. Mostly finding jeans big enough was a chore. Try finding 16/18/20's in a regular department store.

Anyway, skip to today. I finally ran out of jeans/clothes, so I had to do some shopping. Shirts, no problem. Jeans, WTF???!! Yeah, I'm a size 10, but juniors jeans were too short (although they fit perfectly on my hips) and women's jeans were just the right length but gaped at the waist because they were cut too high.

I had this vision when I was heavier that when I was a "normal" size, I'd be able to hop in the store, pick up a pair or two of jeans and viola - I'm done. I shopped for 5.5 hours today and came away with one pair of jeans that are going back because they are just a little TOO low rise.

*sigh* Am I the only one with issues????

Replies

• angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I dont' have jeans issues because I've been buying men's jeans for decades. Back when I was small and wore a 28 they were low rise and they fit. Now that I have no waist line and wear a 38 they still fit because they aren't low rise. If I had a figure I'm sure it would be a pain to buy jeans though
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    I sort of have similar issues. All my life I had jeans too big and had to wear a belt. I really want just once to wear a jeans that is tight but not because of a belly just tight because it fits perfectly. The smallest I can find online is 28 - too big :(

eta: OP, congrats on the downsizing, amazing work !
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    have you tried charlotte russe? i like their jeans a lot!! i also like abercrombie and fitch and hollister jeans or express. i like styles that have options for short, regular and tall.
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! Jeans do not fit me well. If they fit beyond my thighs, the waist is loose. I'm sure if I look hard enough I could find a pair that would fit well but I'm not that patient. I worked hard for my shape and the jean companies are not going to make me feel bad about my body. I now reach for skirts, dresses, and leggings.
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I like New York and Company jeans.

Because you have a gap in the waist, I'm assuming that you are like me and that you have a nice *behind* or are curvy and so you need to aim for companies not marketing to stick figures. You might be able to find something at Macy's too.
  • etta0607
    etta0607 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your amazing weight loss!
    I find the Impulse Department at Macy's has a great selection of jeans that are not juniors cut but not older woman style either. For example, my new favorite are Joe's Jeans (Macy's has a cheaper version called Else) they are a higher rise in the waist than juniors but not too high.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Go to Kohls. They have the best jeans. I have sizes that are short and medium, they have boot cut, long, etc. There are so many different sizes. There are great deals too. Since you are still losing I always go to the 60-80% off rack too. They always have lots of styles. Daisy Fuentes and Levi's are my favorite. Good luck.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Lee makes really good curvy jeans. That should eliminate your gap issue.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I, too, thought the land of non-plus sized clothing would be the land of milk and honey. Instead, what I've found is that clothing on the "other side of the fence" is pretty messed up. Finding clothing that fits, and fits well, is more of a challenge!

I liked Gap jeans because they offered different "style" of jeans. That was great until I found (and fit) into American Eagle jeans. My favorite there is the skinny kick jeans because it makes my legs look awesome.

There's /tons/ of styles and fits out there. Find one you like, and stick with it. It'll drive you less mad.

I haven't tried juniors fit yet (except one instance), mostly because I found AE and otherwise, I feel weird as a woman shopping in the teens section as I'm no longer a teen! (though it sure felt great fitting into a juniors sized thing).
  • blackroseorchid
    blackroseorchid Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain...
    try being 6'2" with a 37" inseam...
    I have to order my jeans online because even the long/tall pants in stores are still three inches too short!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    So i had this issue ... Then the saleslady at Nordstrums made me face the fact i needed a smaller sze...

Try NYDJ or Ralph Lauren... And have an objective saleslady help you!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Jeans are definitely a tough one, so many different fits. Stretchier fabric doesn't help, a pair that fits in the dressing room can be falling down once I've been wearing them for awhile. You may indeed need a smaller size than you think. Trial and error. I like LOFT jeans, but I usually need a petite and have to stick to places that offer a variety of lengths.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I think most of us have trouble finding the perfect fit...if we can mention brand names I am in the UK and find Gap and Next the most pleasing fits for me...otherwise I have hip gaps, waist gaps, the works, plus I have big thighs and calves...*sigh*
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like Riders by Lee. They have several different cuts.
  • CarlaC78
    Options
    At 6 foot tall I have a mare trying to find jeans that fit right! The only place I can get jeans or trousers that fit well is from Long Tall Sally but they are quite pricey...
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    All I know is, any clothing product whose fit is determined by whether you can just barely close the button will never be easy to buy.
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like Riders by Lee. They have several different cuts.

I found some Riders by Lee in the closet the other day, probably belonged to another family member, actually, and they are quite nice. Not even too long as most 'regular' jeans are for me (and most petite jeans are too short).*

*I am still very much plus-sized, but I would assume that the smaller sizes would fit as nicely as these do.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't get easier. But it is so rewarding when you find them!!! Congrats on your loss - that is a lot of hard work!
  • RobKarmic
    RobKarmic Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As someone with sever social anxiety it's not anything to do with the jeans for me mostly the fact that I'm out in public... oh right I'm a man.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I was at Target and saw that they had 6 different types for all body shapes.