Not sure what I'm doing wrong! HELP!

Options
Well, I am clearly doing something wrong, I would love to be able to jog/walk. I started out walking at a fast pace to gradually work my way up to jogging/running. My problem is I guess I cannot control my breathing. I can run about 2.5 blocks and then all of a sudden I'm winded. Can somebody explain the breathing technique? :huh:

Replies

• tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Search for the topic "How do you learn to breath?" the Fitness and Exercise category.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    My dad was a distance runner in high school and he taught me to breathe with my steps. 3 steps in, 3 steps out. If i'm running with music I usually time it with that, too (of course music is in 4 but it's the same idea). It really helps me keep my breathing and my pace consistent!
  • brendac72
    brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I appreciate your quick responses. I will try it tomorrow.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Oh I am excited that you posted and got responses, gonna try it tomorrow Thanks!!!!:wink:
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem as well - I would start to hyperventilate. I've found that listening to music really helps me - I kind of zone out from the pain my body is feeling :) An old boyfriend told me once: "It's ok to breathe hard, but don't hyperventilate." When I first started running seriously, I started out jogging VERY slowly and improved my lung capacity that way. If I find I'm getting winded or having trouble breathing, I concentrate on taking a good full breath from my diaphragm and that usually helps. Good luck! :)
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Some tips that may help if your not already doing them.

Warm up with walking/brisk walking first (I always brisk walk for 10mins before I ever run).

When you start running it's better to go slower for longer, rather than faster to get it over quicker. Alternate Jog/walk periods if the breathing gets out of control. Don't be afraid to take a minuet to walk if it gets to hard on your lungs.

There are much easier ways to burn calories than running, if you have never run before it's damn hard work and takes people time to get adapted to running, both your cardio system and your legs. The surface you run on makes a big difference, paved sidewalks and roads are hard to run on, treadmills are a lot easier on your body.

However it is a great thing to be able to run, so push on through and eventually the aches & pains subside, the breathing gets a little easier and then one magic day you find yourself in a zone where you can just keep running and that is magic.
  • brendac72
    brendac72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks again, I will keep at it.
  • erinlindsay
    Options
    breath deeper..
    i take short breaths.. why dont you practice on a treadmill?
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    you may also want to look into the "Couch to 5K" running program to learn a great way to condition yourself to become a better runner. Try this link for more info: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I also do the "breathe in for 3 strides, breathe out for 3 strides" pattern when I run, which has always worked for me. (a stride is a full Right-Left pattern - so essentially six steps for each breath cycle)