Need some healthy detox meal ideas ???

Options
So this detox I'm on is to clean out the digestive system by taking natural herbal tablets daily before and after meals (breakfast and dinner times) and have to go on a strict detox cleanse diet of only fruit veg and some wholegrains nuts and legumes, so not meat no dairy and eggs and no pretty much anything that comes in a package so wholesome foods and I'm finding it hard to come up with reciepes and things to eat :( any suggestions on some recipe ideas ???
Thanks heaps :)

Replies

• Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It's called your liver.

the only thing detox diets do is prove you need further education about how the body works. Cause a detox diet is at BEST 100% useless. At worst screws with your bodies hormones.

eat clean with a balanced macro intake. Congratulations, you're now detoxed.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    There are countless posts on the forums about this, and you can see a pattern in them... It's not a good pattern to be in too...

Basically, what you are doing, is completely useless... Your body doesn't need any "detox" or anything. Just eat healthy things, within your calorie budget, be patient, diligent and that's it... There are no shortcuts, and it's not rocket science.

So yeah, the best advice I think you could get right now is to stop wasting hope, energy and efforts into stuff like that, and take this opportunity to learn about this journey you are beginning.

Good luck!
  • cboutin89
    cboutin89 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Don't let those crazy detox diets fool you, they may not be as effective as you think( they can do more harm than good);but if you want a natural way to detox increase you fiber intake. Prunes make an excellent source of fiber. Try eating 6-8 prunes a day and you will be cleansed for sure.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You do not need to detox/cleanse or any such stuff. The body is perfectly capable of doing that on its own.

Also, where are you going to get your protein from?

http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/detox.htm

"There’s simply no scientific evidence to suggest that our bodies need help to get rid of waste products if we are healthy and there’s little proof to support the claims that detox diets work. Quite rightly, most nutritionists, dietitians and doctors believe that our bodies are completely capable of excreting waste without the aid of ‘detoxing’ – that’s what our liver, lungs, kidneys and skin are designed to do, after all. Most experts also say that strict detox diets followed in the long term, can lead to nutrient deficiencies and health problems associated with this."
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Don't let those crazy detox diets fool you, they may not be as effective as you think( they can do more harm than good);but if you want a natural way to detox increase you fiber intake. Prunes make an excellent source of fiber. Try eating 6-8 prunes a day and you will be cleansed for sure.

+1.
    Your liver detoxes everything for you already.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What they all said.

What exactly so you think those tablets are "detoxing?" What exactly do you think is in your intestines that shouldn't be? Most "detoxes" end up either doing nothing at all, or killing off all of the natural gut bacteria that you need for good health, which actually makes you less healthy, and can have severe mental effects as well (the gut-brain connection is really a fascinating topic of study.)
  • indrani1947
    indrani1947 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Agree detox is not healthy on the other side I drink aloe Vera juice daily 15 mls, it's full of vitamins and minerals I have also recently started drinking kefir full of probiotics both these are natural and will help with any digestion issues google for further info.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Your digestive system is already "clean." If it wasn't, you would know about it very quickly in a medically dramatic fashion. Just make sure to get enough fiber and maybe probiotics (especially if you are ever put on antibiotics) for optimum gut health.

Just out of curiosity, and also so you can get more targeted advice than "NOOOOOOOOO, detoxes are evil!!!!!," why do you think you should detox?
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said, your body can detox on it's own. However, you can help your body by not putting processed junk into it.
  • lyndalpn
    lyndalpn Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's called your liver.

the only thing detox diets do is prove you need further education about how the body works. Cause a detox diet is at BEST 100% useless. At worst screws with your bodies hormones.

eat clean with a balanced macro intake. Congratulations, you're now detoxed.

This is correct. And I'm a doctor. Eat well and you don't need to detox.
    In saying that, I try to eat lots of whole foods and little processed foods. Feel free to add me if I can help with ideas.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    best detox meal?

3 glasses of water
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    While I share the sentiments that detox pills aren't going to do you much good, I can give some suggestions for meals with what you're planning to eat.

Salad. Use whatever you have, but spinach, rocket, tomatoes, olives, cucumber, peppers are a good base. Dress with lemon juice and olive oil.

Stir fry - onions, mushrooms, peppers, maybe some tofu for protein.

Chilli - onions, tinned tomatoes, beans of your choice (chickpeas, red kidney etc) and chilli to taste - either flakes or fresh.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely ZERO scientific evidence that "detox" or fasting has any benefit at all - and plenty of evidence that it's harmful. It's popularity is explained by the fact that it's a lazy way to lose weight - weight loss by the absence of activity. Fitness is achieved by the continuous application of healthy practices, not some mystical shortcut. Now, go have some scrambled egg whites and whole wheat toast (no butter!) for breakfast.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely ZERO scientific evidence that "detox" or fasting has any benefit at all
    Look harder.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    If you want to 'detox' just feed your body a balance of the nutrients it needs from wholefoods and your organs will do the job fine - liver, kidney. bladder, bowel and skin all play a role in excretion. If you wish to cut out meat and dairy be sure you are replacing the nutrients those foods supply with other foods. Please carefully research those 'natural' herbal tablets, there are numerous poisonous or toxic chemicals found in nature. Laxative abuse is laxative abuse, regardless of if you are using natural products.

Don't forget the long chain omeg-3s in oily fish are classed as essential, our cells NEED them for health, we evolved to digest and metabolise sea fish. You have to eat a ton of ground seeds to get enough short chain omega-3s because the conversion rate can be as low as 10%. We also need vitamin B12 found in meat, fish, dairy and eggs and find haem iron easier to absorb than plant iron - if you wish to continue with this 'detox' I suggest you spend time researching healthy vegan diets. Depriving your body of nutrients can put it into a state of stress, our bodes cannot tell the difference between a famine and a fast or highly restrictive dietary practices.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above that detoxing is not needed. If you feel you need to essentially "reset" your system, try looking into the Whole30. It's eating real food for 30, but they suggest clean eating. Lean proteins, lots of veggies, some fruits, some nuts, some fats. Basically, most things from a can, box, or bag aren't allowed. It does knock out most grains, which I know freaks out a lot of people. But I avoid grains most days and still eat a ton of carbs through veggies. Also, the whole30 is not meant to be lifestyle change. It's a 30 day program to try and give you a better starting point, and then you can add back in foods.
  • earlyxer
    Options
    There is absolutely ZERO scientific evidence that "detox" or fasting has any benefit at all
    Look harder.

I did - do you have some magical website with peer-reviewed information which you'd like to share? Or just anecdotal evidence?
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My friend tried a detox died two years ago. It didn't work for him then, and it won't work for you now-- you'll just feel like **** for a couple days (literally) and give up.

Consider your current diet. I'm not going to judge, but you probably eat fairly unhealthily right now-- there are some food groups you like to overindulge in, or you really love soda, or you just gotta have your fast food sandwich on your break. I don't know, but my point is, examine what you eat now and compare it to this detox diet. Any radical change is a) going to be unpleasant for your body, b) won't have any lasting, long-term effects because as soon as you stop the diet you'll gain the weight back, and c) is generally a waste of time and money. Instead, choose a few key habits to form or break.

If you have a sweet tooth, tell yourself to limit it to one "bad thing" per day, and the rest of the day make healthier choices for snacks. If you like soda or coffee, limit it to one cup a day, and try to switch to diet soda. Try to incorporate at least 3 different produce items into your daily rotation, such as apples, blueberries and tomatoes. Whatever you like best. The changes don't have to be huge, especially not at first, but the key to dieting success is making small changes that you eventually grow to prefer over time. Because losing weight is a lifestyle, not a quick crunch-out. You have to commit, and it's a gradual process.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Look harder.

I did - do you have some magical website with peer-reviewed information which you'd like to share? Or just anecdotal evidence?
    http://www.healthpromoting.com/learning-center/articles/medically-supervised-water-only-fasting-treatment-hypertension
  • earlyxer
    Options
    Look harder.

http://www.healthpromoting.com/learning-center/articles/medically-supervised-water-only-fasting-treatment-hypertension

I didn't realize this was the myhypertensionpal.com forum....that's all you have? A treatment for a disease is NOT the same thing as an accepted practice for fitness or the general population. It's also been peer-reviewed that taking radioactive pills has efficacy in cancer treatment - care to start popping them?

Fasting and "detox" are useless.