Eating too many carbs?

Options

Replies

• volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I find I maintain on about 100 net. I don't really lose unless im under 50. That's just me though. Low carb helped me lose most of my weight and I've been maintaining 110 for about a year.
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips!

I usually eat carbs (low sugar cereal, whole wheat/grain toast) after I get up to get a little jumpstart, then an hour later I pack on some protein. I tend to eat lots of fruits in the morning too. Throughout my day I decrease my carb intake and increase the amount of protein I consume. Lastly, I try and have one serving of salad or low sodium soup a day thats packed with my veggies. The reason I ask is because I've hit a "plateau" (It's only been about a week and a half). I have increased my exercise to burn more calories and my deficit has been greater. If my weights not going down because of muscles gain that's ok, but my body fat % hasn't budged which is the most important to me.

Why are you eating processed carbs separate from protein at breakfast? That's most likely to spike and trough your blood sugar since the blood can only hold a few grams of glucose at a time. Maybe switch to less processed grains such as jumbo/ steel cut oats or barley: wheat is naturally higher on the glycaemic index than many other carbs and modern fine milling of the flour makes it higher still.

I eat cereal, whole wheat/grain toast, or oatmeal within a half hour after I get up because I usually exercise in the morning and can't do it on a full stomach. Even on the days I don't exercise in the AM I'm usually just not hungry enough and find it easier to spread my calories out that way.

Another question: Does it matter what time of day you eat the most carbs?
  • WaltBaylo
    Options
    Carb up lol I cut weight using 40/40/20, carb, prot, fat. Now a days I'll sometimes eat 80/10/10 n get carbed out my mind, I jus ate bout 9 bananas 2 apples, and a bag of dates throughout the day n was stuffed n bloated, woke up the next morning with a flat stomach and had of my best run and leg workouts of my life, carbs are your source of evergy and it really doesn't matter when u eat them, though I wouldn't smash carbs right when u go to sleep, might not b able to sleep good but all that carbs are bad is myth truely I've came from being 340+ lbs n got all the way down to 182 n I look back and was eating bowls of cereal 3x a day, white rice n chicken with bread at every other meal, a carb is a carb jus eat whatever will keep u satisfied and within your daily caloric needs and you'll b fine... GL!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It's definitely all about the kinds of carbs you're eating. Processed foods and sugar are high in carbs sometimes and they make ME want more carbs, so be aware if you're getting caught in that sort of trap. I only eat 40% carbs and I'm never hungry and rarely reach my calorie goal.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's definitely all about the kinds of carbs you're eating. Processed foods and sugar are high in carbs sometimes and they make ME want more carbs, so be aware if you're getting caught in that sort of trap. I only eat 40% carbs and I'm never hungry and rarely reach my calorie goal.

just try a little harder every day. you'll get there.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Another question: Does it matter what time of day you eat the most carbs?

No. The timing is irrelevant to weight control.
    That comes down to personal preference :smile:
    Seems NocturnalGirl beat me to the punch :)

:flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    No sugar, no white/ refined carbs, limit highly processed wheat flour products like commercial breakfast cereal and many breads,

MYTH

Best tell that to all the authors of published research papers and textbooks I read for my last degree then. And all the dieticians and other medical professionals that agree highly processed carbs and sugars have deleterious health effects.

There's always a cherry to be picked.

"All the dietitians" do *NOT* agree. That's not even a myth, just something you thought up while typing.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

"All the dietitians" do *NOT* agree. That's not even a myth, just something you thought up while typing.

And not all dietians know what the hell they are talking about. Same deal with personal trainers.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't binge, there is no difference dieting on haribo or brown rice. Not binging on simple sugars is the difficult bit however.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Agreed, except for the last part. High GI carbs are great for post-workout insulin spike and faster recovery.

Can you tell me what you mean by this?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No sugar, no white/ refined carbs, limit highly processed wheat flour products like commercial breakfast cereal and many breads,

MYTH

Best tell that to all the authors of published research papers and textbooks I read for my last degree then. And all the dieticians and other medical professionals that agree highly processed carbs and sugars have deleterious health effects.

Dose and context should always be considered before making blanket statements. Recommending the complete elimination of sugar or refined carbs can be a recipe for disaster in terms of dietary adherence.

Additionally, have you seen any research suggesting that in the presence of a nutrient rich diet, the inclusion of white bread is detrimental? Consider dose and context here. How much white bread is "bad"?

In a hypocaloric diet that consists of "mostly" nutrient dense and whole foods, I have yet to see anything suggesting that a moderate amount of processed food is harmful in any way.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

MYTH

MYTH? BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Tell that to my blood glucose meter when I have a bowl of cereal.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Agreed, except for the last part. High GI carbs are great for post-workout insulin spike and faster recovery.

Can you tell me what you mean by this?

Spiking insulin will rapidly replenish muscle glycogen. Whether or not you need to do this would depend on muscle glycogen status (are you depleted to begin with?) and whether or not you are performing another glycogen depleting event within the next day (applicable for endurance athletes in some conditions, irrelevant for most of the population).
  • SideSteel
    Options

MYTH

MYTH? BWAHAHAHAHAHA

Tell that to my blood glucose meter when I have a bowl of cereal.

Once again, context.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

MYTH

Would you care to share those papers that state that processed carbs are deleterious to health, regardless of context, dosage, and the rest of the diet? I'm very interested in seeing those, especially in a textbook, as I have never read a single paper that has made such a generic, blanket statement like that. I've also never talked to a registered dietician that has held that point of view either. Processed carbs for someone with a metabolic syndrome that doesn't eat enough protein, sure, but someone who is healthy and eats a wide variety of foods, including some processes carbs? Hogwash. Please, prove me wrong, because I honestly think you are making your entire post up.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I have my carbs/protein/fat set to 50/25/25. Any less carbs than that wouldn't be doable for me, and I would want to eat all the time. MFP suggests I eat 190g a day, which is usually fine. But some days, like today, I tend to go a decent way into the 200s. How much is too much?

I am the opposite, too many carbs and I crave more, so I have my macros set at 35, 35 and 30 (protein, carbs and fat)...the fat satiates me more and also helps me to up my calories substantially, if I need to (am learning to track calories now after years of not doing so, because of my ED)

Test different macro percentages and see what suits you best. That is what I suggest, a bit of flexibility is a good thing : )
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. If I ate the level of carbs you ate, I would be hungry all the time. Personally for me, I do best with Carbs / Protein / Fat at 15% / 25% / 60% for losing weight. For maintaining my weight, I do best with at these levels: 20% / 25% / 55%.

Not much of a variation, but I get my carbs from vegetables first, then nuts and seeds and lastly fruit. I no longer eat any legumes or grains.

Your intake of fat is 60% ?
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Everyone is different. For me, 200g is a very high day. My average is over the last 60 days is 125g. Almost all of my carbs come from vegetables plus one serving a day of either rice or potatoes. It is rare that I eat fruit other than lemons, limes and tomatoes; sugar is minimal, and I don't tollerate wheat or corn.

What type of carb you are eating may not make any difference in terms of calories in vs calories out, but for the same 100 calories and 20 grams of carbs I can either eat one piece of whole grain bread or over five cups of brocolli.

Now I know that I could eat three or four pieces of bread in one sitting, but 15 to 20 cups of brocolli? Not going to happen.

Same here. I'm not going out of my way to avoid carbs but I have noticed that I feel and operate so much better without most grains, dairy and sugar. I eat some brown rice several times a week and lots of vegetables and some fruit, along with lean meats, fish and beans. It works for me. But I rarely make it to 150 a day when it comes to carbs. I have no idea if this is good or bad; it's what works for my body.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    [Spiking insulin will rapidly replenish muscle glycogen. Whether or not you need to do this would depend on muscle glycogen status (are you depleted to begin with?) and whether or not you are performing another glycogen depleting event within the next day (applicable for endurance athletes in some conditions, irrelevant for most of the population).

Thank you.

How would I know what my muscle glycogen status is?
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how you feel at that amount. Some people figure out their fat and protein and then use the remainder of their calories for carbs which can be high. It's hard to suggest something for somebody because some people do awesome reaching their goals on higher carbs while others have to really watch their carbs. Just play with it and pay attention to how your body is responding to it and that progress continues.