I have a ? that I really need answered!

Im new to myfitnesspal and it says to have up to 1200 calories a day. Then of course so many carbs and fats and proteins. Well in order to get all my calories i tend to go over the amount of carbs fats and proteins......is that okay?

Replies

• Im new to myfitnesspal and it says to have up to 1200 calories a day. Then of course so many carbs and fats and proteins. Well in order to get all my calories i tend to go over the amount of carbs fats and proteins......is that okay?
  • Good question! I would have thought that the only one that would really matter when it comes to weight loss is the fat? Maybe if you could get it all perfect that would mean you were eating a perfectly balanced diet...but I would have thought you should worry about the calories and fat the most.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    in the end it comes down to the calories in and energy out for weight loss, however, the carbs protien and fats do need to be looked at because if you are eating a balanced diet of these food groups you will feel better, your body will function better and you will tend to have less cravings for a food group and inevitably over eat.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    I'm a believer in the "a calorie is a calorie" philosophy. By that I mean, carbs and proteins have 4 cal/gram, while fats have 9 cal/gram. It doesn't matter if you're on Atkins, South Beach, weight watchers, or just a conscientious eater as long as you watch the final number. So, if you are trying to balance anything, go for higher protein and carb intake rather than fat. Obviously, the prior are healthier and you can consume twice as many, and still not equal the fat ratio! If you do the math, when BMR + Exercise are greater than consumed calories, you will loose weight. If these numbers are equal, you will maintain weight. We won't mention the other direction! It's that simple. Like everyone says, you'll feel better if you avoid a lot of fat, but you do need some; it's essential for your body to function properly. Hope that helps!