Don't know how this is going to work...

Options
I was in a serious accident on new years eve 2011. After, I was put on bed rest for about 6 months. I have some problems with my balance and my ankle now. My ankle swells like no tomorrow if I'm on it so I don't get around much. The most walking I do is going to class, other than that I'm usually sitting with my foot up so it doesn't put me in agonizing pain. I try to watch what I'm eating and I don't eat junk food at all beside a bowl of ice cream once a week, but during the amount of bed rest I had to endure plus my lack of mobility now, I've gained about 60 pounds. I'm hoping that if I loose it, my ankle won't have to support all the weight and will be better off but I don't know how to go about this. Since I can't actually do any exercise standing, I signed up for a water aerobics class at my Y which starts on Tuesday. I figured with the water it would decrease the weight on my ankle and allow me to exercise. But, I want to do stuff at home too instead of just something for an hour every 3 days. What else could I do that doesn't require any stress on my ankle and isn't going to make me fall over? I'm just at a complete loss. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Replies

• sapphire257
    Options
    no one has suggestions? Guess you guys are just as stumped as me.....
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Did you go to PT? If so, what did they say? Consulting with a physical therapist might be your best start. Do you have some therabands? Those are a good place to start to rebuild some strength in your calf. If its still that swollen and painful after almost a year, I'd seriously consider going to a doctor.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You could do a number of upper body exercises. Bench press, overhead press, dumbell curs....they might not burn as much as if you could run/walk, but they will help tone your muscles and in the long run increase your metabolism. Other than that, weight loss is 90% diet....just keep at a calorie deficit.
  • healthymimi1
    Options
    I believe if you YT upper body work outs while sitting then you should find some good recommendations. I also think the water aerobics is a good start. Hope that helps you with your ankle as well. Also try eating twice as less calories since you do a lot of sitting down. That should also help get your weight in check. I'm sure other people will assist you by answering your post. It's still early. Good luck.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    google chair exercises and see if any are useful. not quite the same as a full workout but should help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2-B-BPmlPA here is one I found but have not watched it through so cant comment on how good it is.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    If you do the water class 3x a week you could eat about 1600/day and lose the weight.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Swimming with a hurt ankle is just as painful as walking, but I hope your water aerobics works out. Try googling something like "sports injury rehabilitation for ankle" and see what you get. You may be able to do some strength work, and you can very easily to most pilates mat work. Cardio is tricky with an ankle injury. When it starts healing you can do the bike and the elliptical.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Google chair yoga. I read about it in a magazine. It is good for people who can't do regular yoga or other exercise that require standing.
  • Shawneb66
    Options
    Weight loss is 90% food and 10% exercise... Weigh and log everything you eat and you will see results! The sitting exercises and water exercises are just an added bonus! You can do it!!
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    See a physical therapist and get their recommendations. They will actually teach you the corret way to do the exercises and give you the right kind of muscle strengthening that you'll need to finish healing. While we all here might have good opinions and great ideas we don't know your body or what it needs.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    There are several You Tube videos of chair aerobics and chair yoga.

How does your ankle feel with bike pedaling? I found this bike pedaler at Walmart for only $25. It's just the pedals, not a whole huge stationary bike. So it's easy to just stick in the closet. I like it because you can pedal both frontward and backward, and you can set it on a table and use it with your arms.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Upper-and-Lower-Body-Cycle/11030094
  • godless117
    Options
    I had a grade two ankle sprain that kept me out of hockey for six months, I found a few exercises helped when I started them

- Stand on one foot for 20-30 seconds (do this throughout the day), this will help improve your balance and strengthen your ankle muscles

- Find a table or chair thats a little less that waist height, and rest the inside part of your foot/leg on it, slide back just a little so only your toe is on the table and slowly apply pressure to your ankle (stop if it hurts), this will help stretch out the muscles and tendons and such.

these exercises had me up and running a few weeks after I started them. Good luck!