Lifting heavy help!

Options
Hey guys, I have been hearing all this talk about lifting heavy and have learned that it helps give that long, lean look that everyone is striving for, with the high calorie burn. Now that I am getting much closer to my first goal weight, I want to get on a heavy lifting program. That's where YOU come in!

First of all, what constitutes heavy lifting? Secondly, can you guys point me to a website or something that will give me a free exercise plan? I really want to develop upper body strength, for sure! As well as everything else! Please tell me your experiences! Thanks in advance!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Look up Stronglifts 5x5. Follow the program.

Also, don't expect high calorie burns. Calorie burns while lifting are relatively low, as your body uses a completely different energy system for strength training than it does for aerobic exercise.

Stick to the program and you will see results.
  • BigRich822
    Options
    If you use bodybuilding.com, you put in your age and what you want to accomplish and there is a ton of different programs to choose from.
  • mllst18
    mllst18 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Can anyone tell me what they think of this program-- http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

Ladies--are there any particular programs you have had success on?
  • slowlysteadily
    slowlysteadily Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    First of all, what constitutes heavy lifting? Secondly, can you guys point me to a website or something that will give me a free exercise plan?
    Probably the best way to define "heavy" is to think of it in terms of being what you can only just lift for 3 sets of 5 reps or 5 sets of 5 reps. [EDIT: That IS heavy, heavier than I normally go for and I personally aim for 6-8 reps.] I find it useful to set goals in relation to body weight. For example, a 120kg man bench pressing 90kg would be unimpressive. 90kg for a guy who weighs 60kg would be decent going. I don't know what the equivalent figures are for women.

I would go for mostly compound lifts using free weights and not machines. Bench press, pull up (or lat pulldown), squats, deadlifts, shoulder press, lunges, that sort of thing. Nothing wrong with some isolation exercises as well, particularly when starting out - curls and tricep presses for example. I try to always superset exercises so that I'm stimulating opposing muscle groups, such as a chest exercise followed by a back exercise.

Actually I have lower back and knee injuries so I avoid squats and deadlifts, which are pretty much the cornerstone of the big lifts, so in theory that's a problem. In practice I do trap bar deadlifts instead, which I find put much less pressure on my back while still being challengin. Just like "real" deadlifts and squats, trap bar deadlifts need a lot of care and attention to form. I am very cautious about that and I would definitely suggest getting some training from somebody who knows what they are doing, at least at first. I nearly always have somebody ready to spot me on the bench and overhead press.

For the past 2 years I have been working out 3 times a week with increasingly heavy weights and the results have been good. It's very satisfying to see the lines and sinews gradually emerging on your upper body! I maintain a modest calorie deficit and have dropped several pant sizes as a result of that, but I seem to have been able to add muscle mass while on the program. (I'm not a body builder so I don't bulk and cut or do anything like that.) It does seem to me that high intensity exercise has some post-workout calorie burning impact that is not captured by a simple estimate of the calories consumed during the workout.

And that brings me on to my last point, which is intensity. My advice is to work hard, be aggressive in terms of energy expended while being conservative in the amount of injury risk you take. I don't chat to others, take 5-minute breaks between sets or sit down and watch TV during my workout. I focus on the exercises, do what I can in 45 minutes then leave. If I'm working hard then 45 minutes is enough to leave an amateur like myself feeling fatigued and depleted.

Oh, and start gently. Injuries aren't fun.

SS
  • slowlysteadily
    slowlysteadily Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Can anyone tell me what they think of this program-- http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html
    Seems sensible with the exception of recommending squats and stiff-legged deadlifts to beginners. I suspect most people new to weights won't have the form or the shoulder/lower body mobility to do these exercises correctly. I still struggle. Tackle them only with help from somebody experienced and credible. I like the emphasis on getting in and out of the gym in 45 minutes, but I think 4x a week initially is a bit aggressive. Over-training will not help you.
  • mllst18
    Options
    Actually I have lower back and knee injuries so I avoid squats and deadlifts, which are pretty much the cornerstone of the big lifts, so in theory that's a problem. In practice I do trap bar deadlifts instead, which I find put much less pressure on my back while still being challengin. Just like "real" deadlifts and squats, trap bar deadlifts need a lot of care and attention to form..

I also have knee (and I'm sure you know, hip problems!) Thanks so much for this insight!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mllst18
    Options
    Seems sensible with the exception of recommending squats and stiff-legged deadlifts to beginners. I suspect most people new to weights won't have the form or the shoulder/lower body mobility to do these exercises correctly. I still struggle. Tackle them only with help from somebody experienced and credible. I like the emphasis on getting in and out of the gym in 45 minutes, but I think 4x a week initially is a bit aggressive. Over-training will not help you.

I thought the same thing about 4x a week. I think I would probably do it 3x a week--Mon, Wed., Fri, or Tues Thurs Sat. Also, I doubt I would do the squats since I do have knee/hip problems. Thanks for the insight!! Appreciate all the help!
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is awesome. There's a group for ladies doing he SL program that's a great place for support and advice. WRT the squats, I have bad hips due to femoral torsion, and no cartilage in my right knee. Squatting has actually helped with those issues up building my quads and hammies.

eta: here's the link to the group I mentioned.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    I actually went through that program when I first started, its great to get you started because it focuses on some of the major compound moves. Right now i'm doing Natalie Jill's Super Shred, unfortunately its not free but it is the best program I have ever done you can google it and see what you think. Otherwise, Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer on bodybuilding.com is free and great if you are already close to your goal :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You can do the squat with dumbbells or no weight at all. Never do more than you are comfortable with, but train really hard for results. You may have to hire a trainer to learn how to work around your injuries, but be careful as trainers typically work women differently, and you want to emphasize that you want to lift and be strong. Even though you have problems now, doesn't mean you will always have them. The body is amazing. Nerves can build around injuries and redevelop those areas. Depends on the injury though.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options

This.

Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is also an amazing program.

The most important part is to PUT THE TIME IN, read the material, do your research, watch videos about lifting form and muscle function - all for free on YouTube, and start applying this new knowledge while you continue learning, reading, etc.
    Also, don't expect high calorie burns. Calorie burns while lifting are relatively low, as your body uses a completely different energy system for strength training than it does for aerobic exercise.

No.

We don't have magic "energy systems". Glycolysis happens during both lifting and cardio, as does the Krebs-Cycle, as does the Cori Cycle, etc.

You can absolutely get high caloric burns from anaerobic exercise (i.e. weight lifting, calisthenics, etc), and research shows that our metabolic rate actually stays slightly higher than normal for up to 48-hours after heavy lifting (vs only upwards of a dozen hours after something like running).
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options

This.

The most important part is to PUT THE TIME IN, read the material, do your research, watch videos about lifting form and muscle function - all for free on YouTube, and start applying this new knowledge while you continue learning, reading, etc.

No.

We don't have magic "energy systems". Glycolysis happens during both lifting and cardio, as does the Krebs-Cycle, as does the Cori Cycle, etc.

You can absolutely get high caloric burns from anaerobic exercise (i.e. weight lifting, calisthenics, etc), and research shows that our metabolic rate actually stays slightly higher than normal for up to 48-hours after heavy lifting (vs only upwards of a dozen hours after something like running).

When lifting heavy I typically burn 1 calorie per minute even with short rest periods based on my hrm. So for a 60 min workout I generally burn around 600 calories--same as when i'm on the stair stepper or doing sprints.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I used stronglifts 5 x 5, then madcow for my upper body stalls, then moved onto Wendler's 5/3/1, my latest lifting stats are in my profile...
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women. Good read, but too complicated for a beginner, imo.

I moved to Strong Lifts 5x5. Love it, seeing great gains. Really good beginner program.

Next up is a specific program put together by my personal trainer consisting of the main compound lifts and a couple isolation moves (partner assisted hamstring curls, hanging situps, rack pulls, and forearm curls) to stengthen some smaller muscles to aid in those compound lifts (squats, deads, bench, press, row).
  • CasablancasTX
    Options
    If you use bodybuilding.com, you put in your age and what you want to accomplish and there is a ton of different programs to choose from.

Wow, that site is amazing. Thank you for posting that here.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

This.

No.

When lifting heavy I typically burn 1 calorie per minute even with short rest periods based on my hrm. So for a 60 min workout I generally burn around 600 calories--same as when i'm on the stair stepper or doing sprints.

HRM's are not accurate for heavy lifting estimates. Plus when you are doing heavy lifting you usually rest for longer periods than you lift.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I used stronglifts 5 x 5, then madcow for my upper body stalls, then moved onto Wendler's 5/3/1, my latest lifting stats are in my profile...

I creeped - nice stats. I am jealous of your squat - I am having problems breaking 200 lb at the moment.
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I creeped - nice stats. I am jealous of your squat - I am having problems breaking 200 lb at the moment.

^^ This - VERY impressive!!!