Produce Stand produces savings !!

Options
Sunday is food shopping day for me and I want to share good food with good friends. I was never one to take the time to shop at the local produce market and instead always bought supermarket produce. Over the last few months I began shopping for my fruits and veggies at the produce market and guess what? Not only is the produce amazingly fresh, absolutely delicious, and a visual delight...it is also LESS EXPENSIVE than the supermarket. Yes...you heard me...LESS EXPENSIVE!! I always thought that because it was like a "specialty" store it would cost more. I figured out my savings amounts to more than 60%!! I incorporate the trip with other errands I do nearby during the week. If you haven't checked out your local market...maybe now is the time!

Now I am exploring joining a local farm coop that gives you a basket of fresh produce each week for a set price. I know you get what is growing locally and you may have to supplement by buying other nec fruits and veggies for your recipes.

Do any of you shop at produce stands? Have I been behind the curve all along :embarassed: ??!

Your thoughts please...

Anyway...just thought I would share my happiness and a red ripe flavorful tomato bursting with flavor...

I am sure plant lady can spare me a few basil leaves :wink:

~Namaste

Replies

• Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Sunday is food shopping day for me and I want to share good food with good friends. I was never one to take the time to shop at the local produce market and instead always bought supermarket produce. Over the last few months I began shopping for my fruits and veggies at the produce market and guess what? Not only is the produce amazingly fresh, absolutely delicious, and a visual delight...it is also LESS EXPENSIVE than the supermarket. Yes...you heard me...LESS EXPENSIVE!! I always thought that because it was like a "specialty" store it would cost more. I figured out my savings amounts to more than 60%!! I incorporate the trip with other errands I do nearby during the week. If you haven't checked out your local market...maybe now is the time!

Now I am exploring joining a local farm coop that gives you a basket of fresh produce each week for a set price. I know you get what is growing locally and you may have to supplement by buying other nec fruits and veggies for your recipes.

Do any of you shop at produce stands? Have I been behind the curve all along :embarassed: ??!

Your thoughts please...

Anyway...just thought I would share my happiness and a red ripe flavorful tomato bursting with flavor...

I am sure plant lady can spare me a few basil leaves :wink:

~Namaste
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Gas issues aren't helping getting cheap produce anymore.

I say support your local farmers as much as possible because they don't have those high shipping costs.

I wish Farmers Markets/Stands were more popular out here.
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Farmer's Markets! They are the best place to find great produce. Even though they aren't certified organic, many of the farmers will tell you if they use very little pesticides or none at all. :happy:
  • kandiedkisses18
    Options
    We actually just started our own garden because prices on everything just keep going up and up. A little tin of cherry tomatoes is almost $4! We bought almost 80 plants for $25 (50% off sale) and have red, green, yellow peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, squashes, lettuce, watermelon, strawberries, corn, cabbages, banana peppers and a few other things so it was definitely a bargain.
  • Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I love plants and would love to try to grow my own produce. Thanks for the inspiration...it sounds like an affordable project too. Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:

~Namaste
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have a year round produce market by us that just recently opened and I love it. I like seeing everything that they have on sale each week. It also inspires me to try new veggies (or ones I haven't tried in a while). I LOVE :heart: the store, and I actually spend a lot more than I ever used to on veggies but I definitely get a lot more for my money. Now that grill season is here I shish-kebob a lot and everyone is happy with it. My daughter (2 years old) loves the appy store (apple store for those who don't speak toddler)The prices are much better than the supermarket (most of the time) and there is such a good variety that I can't pass up going.
    I would like to grow my own veggies as well but living in an apartment complex it really isn't feasible.
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I love the farmer's market! It doesn't occur to me to go often because parking is such a drag, but I just discovered that now I only live 2 miles away from one, so I can walk there :bigsmile:

And yesterday I made a salad using a tomato I got at the grocery store last week and one I just got at the FM ... wow, what a difference. The FM one was like a flavor explosion in my mouth, while the grocery one tasted like bland chemicals and had a gross waxy coating. Ew.