Zumba Fitness

Options
Has anyone had any success with Zumba fitness using only the DVDS? I went to several classes and loved it, but I find the DVDS to be harder to follow and discouraging. Has anyone used them to lose weight?

Replies

• newlife3182
    Options
    Thank you for making this topic. I am starting the new Exhilarate program when it comes tomorrow plus doing 2 1 hr classes a week.(plan on doing it 2 times a day at least 6 days a week) plus incorporating high protein diet, no soda, no sugars just lots of fruits, veggies, and proteins along with it. I'd love to see people's before and after's to see what I could look forward to. I am currently at 180 and I'd like to make it down to 115, so 65lbs. I'm 5'2 and have a very small frame. Any one have any encouragement? How long did it take? Did it work for you?
  • Id love before and after pictures as well! I am 5'4 and 176 looking to get around 140. I was thinking of doing the Exhilirate program as well. We could try it together and PM progress and such?! :)
    Thank you for making this topic. I am starting the new Exhilarate program when it comes tomorrow plus doing 2 1 hr classes a week.(plan on doing it 2 times a day at least 6 days a week) plus incorporating high protein diet, no soda, no sugars just lots of fruits, veggies, and proteins along with it. I'd love to see people's before and after's to see what I could look forward to. I am currently at 180 and I'd like to make it down to 115, so 65lbs. I'm 5'2 and have a very small frame. Any one have any encouragement? How long did it take? Did it work for you?
  • ketomama34
    ketomama34 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Zumba has helped me to lose the 23lbs I lost before I joined this site along with eating healthier. I thought I would mention though that I looked up Zumba videos on youtube and have found some really good ones. I prefer newer pop music and I love to dance so Zumba was the best fit for me. I have stalled on weight loss due to not exercising but any kind of movement helps and Zumba is a good, fun workout.
  • jrback
    jrback Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have the Exhilerate program as well. If you give it your all it is a great workout. I was a sweaty Betty! :) It's nice because if you are short on time, they have a disc that is just for a 20 minute workout. I don't use it as much as I should. Good luck!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Zumba will be my Christmas gift to myself. I have the Wii but I am not understanding how it works, I need some kids to come over and teach me :)

Good Luck!
  • MasterKat
    Options
    Zumba will be my Christmas gift to myself. I have the Wii but I am not understanding how it works, I need some kids to come over and teach me :)

Good Luck!

This is a great Christmas gift! I may just gift this to myself as well!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Zumba (and Body Pump) helped me lose MOST of my weight... I lost around 20 lbs with that and then I switched to weight training (very little cardio) to lose the rest. I'm now actually trying to put weight back on in lean muscle.

But when I was doing Zumba, I did 3 1 hour classes a week, Tues, Thurs, Sat. and I did Body Pump 3 days a week, Mon, Wed, Fri. That's all the working out I did- I was on 1300 cal/day. I wouldn't recommend doing it more than once a day. I was burning anywhere from 300-450 cals each class (best bet is to get an HRM to be accurate), that's all you really need for healthy weight loss (along with clean eating). Good luck- I hope it works for you as it did me! :drinker:
  • ladylocker
    ladylocker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    :happy: I've lost the majority of my weight loss (30 pounds) doing Zumba. You might check out ReFit on Youtube. They have put together a number of playlists & these ladies are AMAZING!
  • Would "LadyLocker" and "bcf7683" happen to have before and after pictures from your Zumba experience? Id love to see the results and get some enoucragement from them :)
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I Zumba every chance I get. I have lost 23lbs.. along with weights.. here are my pics so far... I use the DVDs but actually prefer the Wii but I do change them up so I don't get bored.

Start with activate DVD, it isn't as fast as some of the others and is a good starter one..

ry%3D480
  • karibj2010
    karibj2010 Posts: 264 Member
    Options

Good Luck!

We bought Zumba 2 for the wii for the kids for Christmas, so we will see how it helps the weight loss progress after Tuesday. :ohwell:
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I took a Zumba class and loved it but the class changed times and I was no longer able to go. I bought the DVD's and hated them, I was very bored with them and felt like I was not getting as good of a workout in.

ETA: I ended up selling the DVD and getting a gym membership
  • misstoridanielle
    misstoridanielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I've done both the classes and the Wii game. Though the classes are a whole lot better. I've seen results from both and have lost 40 pounds so far :)
  • I feel bored with the DVDS too and I bought the collection! :/ Im too busy at night to attend classes now, but my YMCA offers 3 classes a week that fit my schedule :)
    I took a Zumba class and loved it but the class changed times and I was no longer able to go. I bought the DVD's and hated them, I was very bored with them and felt like I was not getting as good of a workout in.

ETA: I ended up selling the DVD and getting a gym membership

GREAT job "Gummy Bear", your results are awesome! Keep up the great work!
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options

GREAT job "Gummy Bear", your results are awesome! Keep up the great work!

Thanks, I enjoy them all so I think it helps alot.. it is my favorite cardio..believe it or not I like the dvds and wii better than our local class.
  • ladylocker
    ladylocker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Would "LadyLocker" and "bcf7683" happen to have before and after pictures from your Zumba experience? Id love to see the results and get some enoucragement from them :)

I don't have any pics, but I've dropped two (on my way to three) dress sizes & at least 20". I've done it 3 - 5 days a week since March, 2012. I think you should give it a try!

I've also dropped enough weight to be "healthy" again! This is the best part!
  • MasterKat
    Options
    I was just searching for a Zumba DVD myself! Which did you buy? Zumba buddies?? :bigsmile:
  • chaw01
    chaw01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have currently lost 74 pounds since Feb 2012. I go to the classes as often as possible 3-6 times a week as well as doing MFP. I have the exhilerate DVD's too. They are great but very different from the classes. I do them when I can't make it to the gym (kids sick, hubby working etc). I do prefer the classes to the DVDs. I have just started incorporating pilates and stability ball for toning. It doesn't which one you just do it regurarly! Good luck!!:smile:
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I bought Zumba core for Wii about 3 weeks ago, and along with this site, I've lost 5lbs. so far!!! I'm just starting out, but I LOVE the Zumba for Wii!! i love to dance so its perfect for me. I do 4 days a week (Mon, Tues, rest Wed, Thurs, Fri, rest weekends) and try to stick with my calorie limit, which is 1350. I've noticed a difference already in the fit of my pants and coat.
  • babycakes1970
    babycakes1970 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would like to try Zumba but I generally do not like Zumba music. If I could Zumba to AC/DC or Judas Priest I would! I want to try it though so maybe I will get it for the Xbox.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!