What to do with a hunk o' beef?

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
I bought a hunk o' beef from costco chuck I think it was. But it's 26lbs of pure American Beef! I think I can get some nice lean cuts if I cut it right.

Anyone have any ideas for tasty, low calorie beef recipes?

Replies

• annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a lot. I usually like to take beef and roast it in an oven bag with carrots, celery and potatoes until it gets pretty tender. Add a bit of garlic powder, onion powder, black ground pepper, a pinch of salt and soy sauce if you have it. Soy sauce does wonders for beef in general.
  • stomachflu
    stomachflu Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hmm...what to do with a hunk o'beef? Throw him on the bed and have your wicked way with him!
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm making chili at the moment with a hunk of beef :d It also has all kinds of spices, onions, garlic, bell pepper, tomato, carrot, and butternut squash.
  • annepage
    Options
    I'm making chili at the moment with a hunk of beef :d It also has all kinds of spices, onions, garlic, bell pepper, tomato, carrot, and butternut squash.

I've never made chili, but adding butternut squash to it sounds like a wonderful idea. :)
  • izoom3
    izoom3 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you have a smoker you could trim the fat and smoke it. Once its cooked you can cut it to the serving portions you want and freeze it. We do it all the time and have it as lunch meat, add to shirataki noodles, throw it into soups, etc.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    If you have a smoker you could trim the fat and smoke it. Once its cooked you can cut it to the serving portions you want and freeze it. We do it all the time and have it as lunch meat, add to shirataki noodles, throw it into soups, etc.

Don't trim the fat before you smoke! Trim after unless you enjoy dry chewy meat.

What kind of cut is it?

If you trim the fat before you cook, you can do a roast or a stew with veggies. You can also take it to a butcher and have them cut it for you.

I don't recommend trimming the fat until after cooking if you plan on grilling. The juices from the fat cooking will keep the meat moist and help it cook up nice and tender. This is a good thing.
  • annepage
    Options

Off topic, but do you have any "tricks" to actually making the shirataki noodles taste better? I've tried them and didn't care for them too much. Willing to learn to like them though.