Stealing food to over weight. . .

My name is Beth. I was raised in a single parent home where we couldnt afford food. My mom would literally ask me to make friends at school so I could have sleep overs and steal food from their parntries to eat. Picture that, a 6 year old stealing canned beans from her 'friends'. I was a size zero until 9th grade. My mom made my life awful, it was very similar to the book, "A Child Called It." I had to drop out of high school because my mom was abusive and kicked me out at the age of 16. I started working 3 jobs. At one point I was homeless for 4 months and lived in a gully. I got pregnant along the way (I have only been with 3 men in my life. I am not promiscuous) and the father didnt want anything to do with the baby or me. So I gave my son a chance for hope and gave him to a family that had been trying for a child for 8 years with no luck. They send me updates and I know he is safe. My son was 10 pounds at birth. I put on 50 pounds while I was pregnant.

For the last 7 years I have been surviving. I never had a chance to finish high school until I met my boyfriend, Jeff. He took me in and encouraged school. I received my GED within 4 weeks and now I have a 4.0 in business college. For the first time in my life I have had ample amounts of food. Because I wasnt use to this I would catch myself over eating because my brain was trained to think, "eat now, you dont know when your next meal is going to be!" Now it is time for me to keep my body healthy. I dont want to be under weight or over weight again. I just want to be toned and fit. Now that I am living a normalish life, I want to try to better myself in all ways.

Replies

• MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 671 Member
    What a tragic childhood you had! I cannot imagine what you went through, not knowing where your next meal was coming from.

It sounds like it's time to work on developing a healthy relationship with food. I'm so glad things have worked out thus far.

I'm here for support! Feel free to add me if you want friends to support you...
  • Lalouse
    Lalouse Posts: 221 Member
    You've made many brave and difficult choices. Let us know how we can support you in your weight loss/management journey!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Wow. After overcoming all of that, staying fit should be a breeze for you. Keep your mind on your goals, and you will be fine.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Good for you!! Sounds like you've been dealt quite a hand but you're making the most of it.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Wow. After overcoming all of that, staying fit should be a breeze for you. Keep your mind on your goals, and you will be fine.

ditto
  • Artests
    Artests Posts: 26 Member
    Your story hits so close to home for me. When I was very little we took in the daughter of one of the dad's exes. Turns out the man she remarried after my father was abusive, and when it came down to choosing the man or her kids, she chose the man. She use to keep her two daughters locked in the house all day with only a loaf of bread and a bottle of ketchup. So needless to say once my sister came to live with us she would go back for 2nd and 3rd helpings and then when no one was paying attention she would hide the plate under her bed because she was scared she wasn't going to see food again because of how she was raised. Here we are 15+ years later and my sister has turned out to be one of the greatest people I know, so i know for a fact you can do it too. You're already off to an amazing start! :flowerforyou:
  • Thank you everyone. After everything, its hard to feel blue about normal things that make people mad like road rage. I just cant get mad easily.
    I like that I have pets, hard wood floors and house work to worry about now. :)
    My life is awesome. Time to get my body awesome now.
  • christjoy07
    christjoy07 Posts: 8 Member
    True survivor! Your have overcome your sorrow and turned it into joy! WTG on the 4.0 in school!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    My heart breaks for your childhood, nobody should have to go through that, but you did, and I'm sorry.

Fantastic on the school and turning your life around and realizing the relationship with food. Unless you've already done so, you may not know much about foods, nutrition, balance, etc. I'm sure you can learn it easily, just like you're doing so well in school. The right foods mean so much to our bodies. I struggle with 'convenience' foods vs healthy myself.

Your road forward looks Wonderful. Let us know how we can help!
  • Thank you for your nice comments. It is wonderful to express these things to other people and have them understand. My life was very similar to the book, "A child called it."
  • sandracotterill
    sandracotterill Posts: 3 Member
    Aww so sad and glad u have come through ur childhood a nice person add me if u want :)
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 536 Member
    Thank you everyone. After everything, its hard to feel blue about normal things that make people mad like road rage. I just cant get mad easily.
    I like that I have pets, hard wood floors and house work to worry about now. :)
    My life is awesome. Time to get my body awesome now.

Great outlook! Onwards and upwards! :smiley: