Lactose Intolerance

Options
RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
So, I was just wondering, does there exist a substitute for parmesan cheese that isn't dairy? I wanted to make some spaghetti and was just curious, since, despite the obvious reasons for not consuming dairy, parmesan cheese on top of pasta tastes so good!

While I'm on the subject, if you're lactose intolerant, what do you use for various dishes and beverages as a substitute for dairy?

Replies

• seajasna
    seajasna Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes ,most health stores carry vegan parmesian cheese, cream cheese and grated mozzarella. I use them and love them. I haven,t found a good cheese block subsitute though. I made all my cookies with earth balance butter alternative and or coconut oil and they all turned out great. Even fudge with almond milk instead pf evaporated milk. Good luck! Friend me if you like.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk for beverages and milk substitution. I think fake cheese is too "frankenfood" for my taste, but I'm only mildly lactose intolerance so I can have cheese occasionally.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Hard cheeses, like parmesan, contain nearly no lactose. Unless you are severely intolerant or allergic to dairy, you should be able to eat real parmesan.