How long did it take for you to lose 50 lbs?

Options
I have 50lbs to go (down 15 including my highest weight!). I'm looking for some inspiration. How long did it take you and what did you do? What are your biggest tips?

Replies

• simplyshrinking
    simplyshrinking Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    With a healthy diet and regular exercise, it took me about 5 months... It can be done. Take it day by day! :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have 50lbs to go (down 15 including my highest weight!). I'm looking for some inspiration. How long did it take you and what did you do? What are your biggest tips?
    When I first started i was dropping 30 pounds every 3 month. So, I would say about 5 months.
  • dianaiscool
    dianaiscool Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It took me 7 months
  • craigy_84
    craigy_84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    5 months for me also
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    About 7-8 months for me.

My biggest tip: weight loss is easy. Don't make it harder than it has to be. Moderate deficit + time + patience is all you need.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I took me 5 months to lose the first 30 pounds. Then I hit a LONG plateau. For me it took me about year to get to 50 pounds loss!! :mad:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    About 7-8 months for me.

My biggest tip: weight loss is easy. Don't make it harder than it has to be. Moderate deficit + time + patience is all you need.
    I took me years to learn this.
  • meghan6867
    meghan6867 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    It took me about six months to lose 50 lbs. My total weight loss goal is 57 lbs... the last ten are most definitely the hardest!
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Took me 8 months. Avg loss was a pound a week.

Biggest tips: measure everything, log everything, preplan your meals for the week, prepare/cook large portions ahead of time (salads, chicken breasts, etc), temporarily get rid of the foods you know will cause a downward spiral, have plenty of healthy snacks handy, closely watch your sodium intake. Do at least 30 minutes of exercise at least 5 days a week. Constantly challenge yourself. It's the little things that make a big difference.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    It took me 5 1/2 months. And it really starts in the kitchen. You must change your diet to change your body. It doesn't mean eliminating all the foods you love. It means adapting them so that they're made healthier and reducing portion size. My food scale is my BFF. If you don't have one, buy one soon. Find an exercise that you love and doesn't seem like work/torture. And be honest when logging food, because even if you don't log it, it still went into your body and will effect your weight loss journey.
  • bloodysore
    bloodysore Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    123 days. Lol
    But I have a lot to loose and it was the first 50.
    Eat less move more. That's it.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose for about 8-9 months now and I'm only down 24. Everyone is different.
  • haqqie121
    Options
    13 months! now i cant even lose 1lb :(.. been 3mths since i lost a kg.
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    About a year and a half! :blushing: I probably could have done better but who cares... I'm 52lbs lighter than I used to be! :bigsmile:
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    5 months
    The biggest help was to understand how minor changes can add up to a healthier life style.
  • Nancyalex11
    Nancyalex11 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    6 months:)
  • ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Four months but I hit it pretty hard. 800 - 1000 calorie intake per day, 800 - 1000 calories burned through exercise each day. I also had direct medical supervision and had complete blood panels done every month to make sure I was getting healthier rather than damaging myself. I'd have 8 glasses of water daily minimum, take a multivitamin, and try to get as much sleep as possible. I also wear a HRM religiously to make sure the calories I burn are actual calories rather than MFP guestimates. I'd also suggest having much smaller goals along the that way. 50lbs is a mighty goal but discouragement is the enemy of achievement. Pick 10lbs goals and work out a non food treat for each one. That should keep you focused and steaming full speed ahead.
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It took me 50 weeks to lose 49. Now that I have achieved my goal I don't mind at all that it took me all year. after all this change of eating has to last me a lifetime. I did it at a pace that meant I could eat 1500 cals a day. I also had breaks every 12 weeks or so, which really helped because in the past I have always meant to diet when on holiday and when I haven't succeeded felt a failure. This way I avoided failure and felt relaxed on holiday, thoroughly enjoyed the food, but then felt good to be back dieting when the holiday was over. I will do exactly the same for Christmas and New Year.

Good luck, it is worth making the changes
  • 3under2
    3under2 Posts: 133
    Options
    It took me about 4 months, but I was super gung hu. I've kept it off for a bit more than a year and a half now. That's the real test, keeping it off :).

Scarlet
  • veratrish
    veratrish Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I ate clean low carb balanced meals and really paid attention to MFP numbers and suggestions. I do work out daily Zumba, Bodypump, Turbo Kick etc at my gym and I even dance like a fool at home. It took me 7 months to loose, a lot of parties and bdays slowed me down but I have another 50 I'm aiming for 5 months this time around even if its 6 its ok as long as it goes.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!