Last night... I binged

Options
Hey! Iv been eating well the last few weeks and have been getting atleast 5 workouts in each week, it was all going so well than last night night and Friday... BOOM! I just couldn't stop eating, Chinese food, biscuits, I kept trying to eat high fibre foods to make me feel full but the sugary stuff in the cupboards just kept calling me back. The good news is I did train yesturday and I intend on training lots this week but I'm almost scared to weigh myself this week incase it leads me to another binge... Anyone been in a similar boat? I know I need to be good to my body now as Xmas is coming up and I don't want to deprive myself... I just want to eat healthy, why can't I just be healthy lol

Replies

• HeiWol87
    Options
    I do the same thing, I then feel guilty and think well i might as well give up! I try to make sure I start each day a fresh day, forget about what happened yesterday and move on. Just make sure you keep up with working out, and i'm sure you will be fine. Just dont dwell on it, as you'll be likely to binge again
  • nyemu
    nyemu Posts: 43
    Options
    It happens to me as well, I just log everything in and move on. Don't beat yourself up about it:wink:
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yep, last night was one of the first nights I had fast food in months. It tasted SO good but now I feel so sick.

One bad meal won't make you fat, just like how one good meal won't make you thin.
  • cjam134
    cjam134 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    "You don't drown because you fell in the water, you drown because you don't climb back out."

Track it and move on.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    "You don't drown because you fell in the water, you drown because you don't climb back out."

Track it and move on.

This.

If you are the sort of person that is easily put off by a potential gain, don't weigh yourself. The scale lies to you anyway.

You are human, we all do it. Get back on track, move on, and weigh yourself in a couple of weeks when you feel more confident.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    One bad meal won't make you fat, just like how one good meal won't make you thin.

I love this^^...I do try to think that one bad meal won't make me fat, but have never flipped the saying around, which is true, too! I ate a ton last night, too, and felt terribly full and sluggish. The feeling alone is enough to make me want to recommit myself to my calorie and exercise goals this week. Hang in there, and don't beat yourself up:)
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options
    Meh, don't worry honey! 80:20! I know I still feel guilty when I binge but it's sooo OK. Reminds you how good it is to eat clean so just jump back on the vege train tomorrow, get out and do some exercise and you will feel awesome again!
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Aww man I did last night too! Oreo cake so good....
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else that one binge is not the end of the world. Bite it, write it, and forget it. Except for one thing. If you really, really think about it, you can probably figure out WHY you binged and how to avoid it in the future. I am speaking as a man who weighed 478 pounds on July 26, 2012, got serious about this, faced my demons, and have lost around 85 pounds in the past less than 5 months.

I say "around 85 pounds" because on December 5, 2012, I left my city, my house, my wife, my children, my law practice, my friends, my cats, my t.v. remote, my recliner and my favorite walking routes 1300 miles away to immediately fly to northern Ohio for a family emergency. For the past 12 days, I have been living in a hotel room, without my scale, eating at restaurants, away from my usual power walking routes at home, and under extreme emotional pressure. And yet, go look at my food and exercise diaries. I have been under calories EVERY day. I have exercised almost every day. While I haven't been able to weigh myself since 12/5, I KNOW my belt is about 2" too large and all of my clothes feel larger than when I got here.

I am not telling you these things because I am proud of me. I am telling you these things because I want YOU to know that YOU can exercise the same level of self-discipline and achieve comparable results if YOU want to.

You didn't binge because sweet stuff called out to you. You binged because when sweet stuff called out to you, you listened and responded. I was in the same situation you were in the other night. Woke up out of a sound sleep at 1am and wanted to eat everything within two blocks of the hotel. Instead, I ate three trays of Green Giant One's vegetables (corn, broccoli and mixed carrots and broccoli), one Clif bar, and drank 3 bottles of water. Total damage from my "binge" = 420 calories. The next morning, I was so full from the veggies and water that I did not even want to eat breakfast. So both days, I ended up under calories.

You can want to be successful with a new lifestyle on MFP. But wanting to be successful is not enough. Sometimes, you have to stare your potential binge in the face and say, "no thank you. Eating you tonight will not feel nearly as good as the sense of self-worth and self-discipline that I will enjoy tomorrow by NOT eating you."

I know you can do it. You know you can do it. Now you have to decide whether you are willing to work for it or not. That's entirely up to you.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Aww man I did last night too! Oreo cake so good....

Oreo CAKE???

give-it-to-me-now_zps1975a76f.jpg
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    So what... like people have been saying, track it and move on. Your teaching yourself a new way to eat/live, you are going to fall once in a while. Don't find a reason to fail.
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hey! Iv been eating well the last few weeks and have been getting atleast 5 workouts in each week, it was all going so well than last night night and Friday... BOOM! I just couldn't stop eating, Chinese food, biscuits, I kept trying to eat high fibre foods to make me feel full but the sugary stuff in the cupboards just kept calling me back. The good news is I did train yesturday and I intend on training lots this week but I'm almost scared to weigh myself this week incase it leads me to another binge... Anyone been in a similar boat? I know I need to be good to my body now as Xmas is coming up and I don't want to deprive myself... I just want to eat healthy, why can't I just be healthy lol

Look at it this way.. that was AWESOME!!!! you ate crazy one night, cool, and you came back here and logged it all right??? What great data! see how it effects you... get back on your regular schedule, then stuff like this won't matter but will really add to your data. The key is LOG EVERYTHING! keep it up, no problem binging now and then, just eat well 90% of the time and you will be golden!
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, I then feel guilty and think well i might as well give up! I try to make sure I start each day a fresh day, forget about what happened yesterday and move on. Just make sure you keep up with working out, and i'm sure you will be fine. Just dont dwell on it, as you'll be likely to binge again

this is exactly what I would have written!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

Look at it this way.. that was AWESOME!!!! you ate crazy one night, cool, and you came back here and logged it all right??? What great data! see how it effects you... get back on your regular schedule, then stuff like this won't matter but will really add to your data. The key is LOG EVERYTHING! keep it up, no problem binging now and then, just eat well 90% of the time and you will be golden!

lol

Did you look?

She doesn't log.
    Anything.
    Ever.

And the cal goal is set fairly low anyways....
    But we don't know if she meets it, exceeds it, or falls way under it....because there IS no data to speak of....

For all we know she has net 200 for the last few weeks when she thought she was "doing well" and last night was her body's way of saying "OMFG feed me already!"

Not saying this is the case but it COULD be...
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all...having an "off" day doesn't mean you necessarily "binged", so don't call it that! It's too dramatic haha, & when you think like that, it's easier to let yourself get de-railed. Today is a new day!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

lol

Did you look?

She doesn't log.
    Anything.
    Ever.

And the cal goal is set fairly low anyways....
    But we don't know if she meets it, exceeds it, or falls way under it....because there IS no data to speak of....

For all we know she has net 200 for the last few weeks when she thought she was "doing well" and last night was her body's way of saying "OMFG feed me already!"

Not saying this is the case but it COULD be...

Agreed, maybe if you ever logged ANYTHING you'd be able to track down why you had this sudden compulsion to begin with. I know that if I aim too low for too long my eating goes on autopilot. I don't really consider it a terrible binge as much as a correction.
  • mcampbell795
    mcampbell795 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just want to say a massive thank you! I just finished the beet workout ever and after feeling so bloated this morning I now feel like a million bucks :) gonna move forward and not let this effect my goals :)
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Meh, don't worry honey! 80:20! I know I still feel guilty when I binge but it's sooo OK. Reminds you how good it is to eat clean so just jump back on the vege train tomorrow, get out and do some exercise and you will feel awesome again!

This is so true. I'm actually relieved when I go back to work on Mondays because I'm back to my routine and I feel so much better. Weekends have been so tough lately with holiday parties and stuff. I think I'm the only person saying TGIM today haha.
  • mcampbell795
    mcampbell795 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Btw hunn, I DO log, just not in MFP... I only come here for advice, I usually eat to my BMR and train everyday for sport, I don't record every pound lost either, I just wanna eat right to feel right and not gain any weight, if I lose then its just an additional plus for me :)
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Track it and move on.

LOVE THIS!!!