Major gym NSV - relying on the kindness of strangers

Options
Lately I have been feeling very sorry for myself --- throwing awesome private pity parties. Part of it is that I recently hurt my knee somehow and I've been in a lot of pain, especially when I walk (I see a doctor tomorrow about it, but that's another story). Also, I gained two pounds last week, even though I was true to my calorie level. And, third, certainly haven't felt like exercising, and certainly impossible to do any cardio. And four, I'm feeling despondent that I'm walking with a cane. I hate to be seen with a cane --- I feel like such an old lady.

Today, I just forced my self-pity into background mode and decided that I had to get some exercise. So I went to the gym --- with my cane. Boy did I feel stupid hobbling from machine to machine. I worked just my upper body (of course). As I was hobbling from the machines to the cables, a lady stopped me. And she said that she had been following after me on the machines and wanted to compliment me on my strength --- she said that she had to constantly lower the weights following after me. And then she noted that I must have been working out for years to have such upper body strength.

Huh? I started working out in July. And, yeah, I guess i must be developing muscles, somewhere under the fat rolls. I was just flabbergasted by her comments. She was about my age with a nice body. And she went on to say that *I* was an inspiration? No, I'm a fat old lady who feeling sorry for herself ... until this complete stranger completely made my day.

I left that gym still limping but at the same time walking on air. So glad I put my pity and my self-consciousness aside to go the the gym and be the recipient of such a lovely gift from that wonderful stranger.

Replies

• Sweetfi
    Sweetfi Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Love this. It's amazing how other people see us.
  • Pamelaniamh
    Pamelaniamh Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Its great that the lady shared with you what she was thinking. :smile:
  • Shen191
    Shen191 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Love it :) So nice for a stranger to share some positivity :)

Be kind to yourself xx
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congratulations on an AWESOME NSV!!!
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! It's amazing how much an interaction with a stranger can lift us up.

I'm also really impressed you didn't use your knee as an excuse to not work out, which is probably what I would have done, and then would have sealed the deal with a pity-party binge. Thank you for the inspiration, cane and all :)
  • Sweetfi
    Sweetfi Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! It's amazing how much an interaction with a stranger can lift us up.

I'm also really impressed you didn't use your knee as an excuse to not work out, which is probably what I would have done, and then would have sealed the deal with a pity-party binge. Thank you for the inspiration, cane and all :)

Exactly!
  • VictoriaFitness2010
    Options
    That is wonderful! And for the record...YOU GO GIRL! Don't feel sorry for yourself. You walk into that gym with pride, cane and all! Hold your head up! You ARE doing this!!
  • Marvis55
    Marvis55 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful story. I walk into the gym with a limp due to a bum knee. But that fact that we are going back is good! Keep it up!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    That's a fantastic NSV for sure! That was so nice of her to say and incredible to hear too. Good for you for getting up and doing it!
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Wonderful
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been feeling very sorry for myself --- throwing awesome private pity parties. Part of it is that I recently hurt my knee somehow and I've been in a lot of pain, especially when I walk (I see a doctor tomorrow about it, but that's another story). Also, I gained two pounds last week, even though I was true to my calorie level. And, third, certainly haven't felt like exercising, and certainly impossible to do any cardio. And four, I'm feeling despondent that I'm walking with a cane. I hate to be seen with a cane --- I feel like such an old lady.

Today, I just forced my self-pity into background mode and decided that I had to get some exercise. So I went to the gym --- with my cane. Boy did I feel stupid hobbling from machine to machine. I worked just my upper body (of course). As I was hobbling from the machines to the cables, a lady stopped me. And she said that she had been following after me on the machines and wanted to compliment me on my strength --- she said that she had to constantly lower the weights following after me. And then she noted that I must have been working out for years to have such upper body strength.

Huh? I started working out in July. And, yeah, I guess i must be developing muscles, somewhere under the fat rolls. I was just flabbergasted by her comments. She was about my age with a nice body. And she went on to say that *I* was an inspiration? No, I'm a fat old lady who feeling sorry for herself ... until this complete stranger completely made my day.

I left that gym still limping but at the same time walking on air. So glad I put my pity and my self-consciousness aside to go the the gym and be the recipient of such a lovely gift from that wonderful stranger.

I totally know what you are talking about!!

I have been going to the Y since February, and have gotten to know many many people in passing. I have caught the eye of several staff members, despite the fact that I am still 50-60lbs overweight.

In the last 4-6 months it seems that when I am at my lowest, when I need the encouragement the most, someone will come up and make a difference in my life. It might be a lady old enough to be my grandmother who mentions that she has noticed my determination...one day it was TWO older ladies who stopped me on the way out and said they had noticed how hard I was working and asked me if weight lifting was worth it ( it is)...sometimes it is as simple as the trainer walking by and giving me a thumbs up with a smile on his face.

I am actually recovering from an injury myself. I pulled my calf muscle on Thursday...but despite all my pain, I drug my butt into the gym on Friday--on one crutch. I managed to do an upper body workout, and on the way out I had to explain to like 6 people what had happened. Luckily, a weekend of pain killers and rest has me able to walk on my own 2 feet again. To keep myself accountable, I told the trainer that I need to stay away from the cardio and lower body stuff til Friday--that way he can *yell* at me if he catches me
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I love this! Good for you for going and what a fantastic reward!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    That must've been very uplifting for the rest of the workout.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!