What is it about running?

Options
The weather has been pretty mild here and instead working out in my basement doing various videos like Tae Bo, Walk away the poiunds, and lifting weights, I have been able to get out and hit the pavement. I started my weight loss trek just walking as my main source of exercise and it worked great. But as you get more fit you want more of a challenge so every once in a while, I would run instead of walk. Which is what I have done lately, a 3 mile run at about a 5-5.5 mph pace.

What I have noticed though when I start this running thing, is that my weight loss stalls. Seriously it just stalls. I go back to walking or my other routine and the weight loss begins again. The kicker is I kinda like running (wow, my old fat self says, "ewww gross").

I've heard that some exercises make you gain muscle which in turn may make it look like you weight loss has stalled. Is that true of running? Or is there another explanation why adding in running to my workout schedule just doesn't seem to be working for me?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your weight loss? How often? How long a time frame are we talking about?

Ultimately, a calorie deficit causes weight loss. If you are maintaining a healthy deficit you will lose.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have to agree... what is a stall? How long is the time frame we are discussing? Once you start running are you running every day or do you give yourself rest days? I seriously doubt you're building enough muscle running 3 miles at a time to cause it. However, your muscles may be holding onto water to repair themselves and if you aren't taking rest days, may not let go of it.

I've been running 6 miles every other day and I can still lose weight while I do.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    On the other hand, walking for 40 minutes will burn fewer calories than running for 40 minutes - so if you're eating the same as you do when you only walk, you're at a bigger calorie deficit - potentially too big. You have to eat enough to lose weight too (my weight stalled while training for a half marathon, so no, it's not just a deficit, it's the right size deficit, I started eating more and the weight dropped off).

Also keep in mind muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're running you might be building more muscle than just walking - improving fitness but not losing weight. At that pace it's not as likely, but it could be the case depending on your overall fitness levels.

Good luck!
  • GatorGirl0890
    GatorGirl0890 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't know how true this is, but I thought it was interesting view.

http://www.mindbodytrainingcommunity.com/2011/09/05/can-aerobic-exercise-be-counter-productive/
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I don't know how true this is, but I thought it was interesting view.

http://www.mindbodytrainingcommunity.com/2011/09/05/can-aerobic-exercise-be-counter-productive/

Yeah, lots of things are interesting, and yet are also utter nonsense. Interval training is indeed the bees' knees, but simply saying "several studies say" and then stating a conclusion doesn't make it so. Steady, moderate cardiovascular exercise will not ever decrease one's cardiovascular health or increase the risk of heart attack. Shenanigans!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I have to agree... what is a stall? How long is the time frame we are discussing? Once you start running are you running every day or do you give yourself rest days? I seriously doubt you're building enough muscle running 3 miles at a time to cause it. However, your muscles may be holding onto water to repair themselves and if you aren't taking rest days, may not let go of it.

I've been running 6 miles every other day and I can still lose weight while I do.

^^^This, the amount of water retained can be quite large until recovery catches up.

Also, running 3 miles does not burn 1000s or cals, be sure you are not eating more than you burn because of the "harder" workout. It happens more than people think.]
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Whoever wrote that article is an idiot. This quote from the article is so stupid it lowered my IQ just reading it.
    First, exercising at a steady pace for a long period of time trains your heart and lung capacity to downsize to become more efficient.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    By stalled, do you mean for a few days? or weeks? If its a few days and you are new to running its water weight. When I began lifting weights, my weight would increase for a few days after because your muscles need extra water to heal. On days where I walk or do things that dont cause me to be sore the water weight comes off. However, if anyone says its muscle they are incorrect as it takes months to gain a significant amount of lbs in muscle. Normally if you see the scale being weird on certain exercise days within a few lbs, its water weight.
  • BethanyRTS
    Options
    I know running (especially on a rolling course) will build your muscle. Muscle does weigh more than fat, but like everything when you stick to it the ratio of fat to muscle reverses and you look thinner and feel lighter. Keep running---it never gets boring!

I run (25-40 miles per week)
  • JeffTCole
    JeffTCole Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Running is one of my forms of cardio, and part of my overall fitness plan. My weight has held steady this year. However I have had to take up two notches in my belt this year. I find this to be at least equal to weight loss.
  • scottb81
    Options
    Anytime you start running your weight will quickly increase by 2 to 6 pounds, the amount dependant on one's size, amount of running, and outdoor temperature. This is to account for increased blood volume and increased glycogen and water storage in the working muscles.
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Anytime you start running your weight will quickly increase by 2 to 6 pounds, the amount dependant on one's size, amount of running, and outdoor tempaerature. This is to account for increased blood volume and increased glycogen and water storage in the working muscles.

interesting.. how long does it take to dissapate?
  • scottb81
    Options
    Anytime you start running your weight will quickly increase by 2 to 6 pounds, the amount dependant on one's size, amount of running, and outdoor tempaerature. This is to account for increased blood volume and increased glycogen and water storage in the working muscles.

interesting.. how long does it take to dissapate?
    It is one of the adaptations that lead to greater endurance so it does not go away until one stops exercising. The exception is that blood volume increases more in hot weather to account for increased sweating so that reduces when the weather cools down. That one takes about 2 weeks to increase and decrease.
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this, too. When I finally got a good stretch of weight loss it was when I changed to eating for nutrient density only....no processed foods, no added fats or oils, no added sugar. It worked great! and, I've just kept that a habit.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Running is one of my forms of cardio, and part of my overall fitness plan. My weight has held steady this year. However I have had to take up two notches in my belt this year. I find this to be at least equal to weight loss.
    Personally, I'd rather lose inches than pounds. The only people who see the number on the scale are you and the nurse at your doctor's office. Everyone else can see that you've lost inches even if they are asking if you've "lost weight."

To the OP, are you measuring yourself? If not, you should start. MFP provides a place to log your measurements where you track your weight.
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am talking over a week or two week period since this is how often I weigh myself. I think the water weight to the muscles for repair is most likely the issue with me. I tend to get scared when I see the scale stop, retreat and go back to what worked to make it go down. And I do take measurements but only every month, not every week.

Appreciate all the responses, it helps me get a better idea of how this all works.
  • bsouth21
    Options
    Something that may be worth looking in to is your heart rate. There are different zones for your target heart rate. Here is a good read about the % of calories being burned are fat calories or etc.

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html
  • tooliebell
    tooliebell Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Something that may be worth looking in to is your heart rate. There are different zones for your target heart rate. Here is a good read about the % of calories being burned are fat calories or etc.

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html

Thank you! That was great information to have.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    As you workout more running longer distance over walking shorter distance you need to up your calories or your metabolism will slow and you will lose less.