Paleo Diet

Options
Anyone ever try this, in addition to counting calories with MFP? I'm beginning to get interested in it and was wondering what other's experience with paleo and calorie counting was.

For those that don't know

" the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of fish, grass-fed pasture raised meats, vegetables, fruit, fungi, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, refined salt, refined sugar, and processed oils.[1][3][4] There are many different alternatives that are available to replace the foods that have been eliminated. For example, coconut oil can be substituted for butter, almond flour can be substituted for white flour, and honey can be substituted for other sweeteners" - From Wikipedia.

More information at

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever try this, in addition to counting calories with MFP? I'm beginning to get interested in it and was wondering what other's experience with paleo and calorie counting was.

" the "contemporary" Paleolithic diet consists mainly of fish, grass-fed pasture raised meats, vegetables, fruit, fungi, roots, and nuts, and excludes grains, legumes, dairy products, refined salt, refined sugar, and processed oils.[1][3][4] There are many different alternatives that are available to replace the foods that have been eliminated. For example, coconut oil can be substituted for butter, almond flour can be substituted for white flour, and honey can be substituted for other sweeteners" - From Wikipedia.

More information at

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/
    There are plenty of threads on this matter.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes they have.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    dejavu_zpsc86052e8.jpg
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    cavemen tried it. Most of them died.
  • davyrockhit214
    Options
    I don't do well with severe restriction. In addition I love too many of the foods that are not acceptable. I could see it helping as a short term but in the long run, its not suitable for our society... Just my OPINION =) cheers
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options

More information at

Ohhhh the little lego men are so CUTE!
  • NYGoddess77
    NYGoddess77 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with my fat loss.fitness journey for 2 years. I have stopped eating grains 99% of the time...but tend to only eat them when I stop working out. What should my MACRO'S be for doing the P90X & Insanity Hybrid program? I'm sedentary with the exception of my workout....so how do I calculate my ratios?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

More information at

What is refined salt and it says avoid processed oils but then says coconut oil is ok. Where does one find coconut oil in the wild?
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    my friend where i come from we make our own cocunot oil
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

More information at

What is refined salt and it says avoid processed oils but then says coconut oil is ok. Where does one find coconut oil in the wild?
    You mean you don't have this kind of salt at home?
    JEAL1968-Chunk-of-raw-salt-Salinas-Grandes-de-Jujuy-Province-of-Jujuy.jpg
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    my friend where i come from we make our own cocunot oil

squeezing coconuts is an awesome forearm workout
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    whole grains are good for you...legumes are good for you. There's absolutely no way I could possibly do the Paleo diet. I do try to limit the amount of processed foods in my diet, but Paleo is over the top IMHO.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    whole grains are good for you...legumes are good for you. There's absolutely no way I could possibly do the Paleo diet. I do try to limit the amount of processed foods in my diet, but Paleo is over the top IMHO.

Personally, I don't think that consuming grains is generally "good for you", but it doesn't bother me at all if you believe it is and if you decide to continue consuming them. I'm also completely fine with you (and others) not adhering to or even trying a paleo diet (or any of its derivatives).

For what it's worth, my current diet is paleoesque, and when I go back to eating at a deficit, I will likely be more strict. For me, it simplifies eating at a deficit as it eliminates one of my "trigger foods".
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

I wish I could draw, but it would be something like coconuts with spears and leopard skin chaps.