How to fall in love with the Treadmill...any advice?

Options
I am struggling. Let me not front like I wasn’t struggling when I was running outdoors but boy oh boy is it tough to run on a treadmill. I love to run. I don’t always run but when I get into a routine, it’s definitely something I enjoy doing. Now that the weather is getting colder and it seems to rain every day in NYC, I am forced to run indoors on a treadmill. It is soooooooooooo boring. I can't seem to run more than a 5K...and it's because I am bored.

Any suggestion on how to motivate myself to go the distance when running on a treadmill?

Replies

• My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    DO a Hiit program on it. Not as boring.
  • Hevenerk
    Hevenerk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue running on a treadmill, just too boring.
    I just put the headphones in turn up the volume and try to push through.

I have even tried bundling up and running outside anyway.
  • It's my music that keeps me going.
    Plus, try a fast paced high incline workout, it burns more calories than a run.
  • Ronamission
    Ronamission Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've lost 72 so far and the words "I miss going to the gym" had never escaped my lips till around a week ago. Here are my thoughts.
    1. Hit the Dreadmill every day. It will become a habit and once you love the results, you'll love the treadmill.
    2. MP3 or Ipod. (It's a must)
    3. Interval, heart rate, training. Like the other guy says, it breaks it up, it's a better work out and I think it's easier.
    4. Spend more time walking outside too. (With the MP3 player.) It gives you more to look at and enjoy.

Good luck and just stay with it.

R
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Um, it's a treadmill. I don't think it's possible.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Love potion.
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I bring my Kindle Fire and either read a book or watch a movie or tv show on it to keep me from being bored. So if you have an iPad or some other tablet go for it!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
  • sophiek1964
    sophiek1964 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It helps when I watch music videos and blast it through my earphones on my iPhone or iPad with VEVO. You can make your own playlists on there too.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,656 Member
    Options
    I watch TV on the iPhone on the elliptical.
  • vivianahm
    vivianahm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I bring my Kindle Fire and either read a book or watch a movie or tv show on it to keep me from being bored. So if you have an iPad or some other tablet go for it!

I do the same! Mostly I read, and when I have a good book time flies by. I have also bought audiobooks (audible.com) and I hear the books while I work out, it's lots of fun!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I have movies on my smart phone. As much as I love listening to music while working out, a movie is more distracting when you are doing something monotonous like a treadmill or stair stepper.
  • conleeper
    Options
    I hated getting on my treadmill at first too, but then one day I was reading posts on here and came across a comment someone had said, it has really inspired me to do my best.

I read the following, " my friend got a treadmill and she just never got off, she lost 50 pounds in a short amount of time" I may not have repeated it word for word but that's pretty much what was said, and those few words have really stuck with me that if I stick with this I'll eventually lose this weight, Today I weighed 169, down from 204, YAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Something's working, could it be that boring treadmill???

Just place it in front of the tv, watch your favorite show and before you know it an hour has gone by. You can do this!!!!!!!!!!
  • prpljellybean
    prpljellybean Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't love the treadmill AT ALL...but sometimes I just can't get out to do my exercise outside. I'm in Florida so the the weather is not my excuse unless it's raining but sometimes it just works out better to get on the treadmill at home. I find the treadmill super boring too so I either get on there when some of my shows are coming on T.V. or I watch Netflix on my phone. I am watching a T.V. series on Netflix right now and that is helping a lot...I put the headphones in and watch commercial free T.V. and can usually stay on there from 60 to 90 minutes without being "over it". Good luck but I myself don't think I'll ever love the treadmill as much as getting my sweat on outside :wink:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Um, it's a treadmill. I don't think it's possible.

This.

The only way I have found to endure the dreadmill is to do interval or hill workouts - anything but a steady run. I find focusing on getting through the shorter intervals distracts me enough that I don't totally hate it the entire time.

Or get some rain gear and head outside.
  • bravencheese
    bravencheese Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Audiobooks.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Audiobooks.

^^ This! It really passes the time and I get more 'reading' done.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I am struggling. Let me not front like I wasn’t struggling when I was running outdoors but boy oh boy is it tough to run on a treadmill. I love to run. I don’t always run but when I get into a routine, it’s definitely something I enjoy doing. Now that the weather is getting colder and it seems to rain every day in NYC, I am forced to run indoors on a treadmill. It is soooooooooooo boring. I can't seem to run more than a 5K...and it's because I am bored.

Any suggestion on how to motivate myself to go the distance when running on a treadmill?

Music . . . that's about my only suggestion
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DO a Hiit program on it. Not as boring.
    \\

^yep. I do this. Its like Im competing against myself.....and if its at they gym, with a stranger on the treadmill next to me that also seems to be doing some sort of HIIT....well then Im competing against them too!

Also, make yourself a good playlist and listen to it.....or if you are running treadmill at home watch a movie....thats a last resort for me but if you watch something really funny it does make the time go fast if thats your only setback to enjoying the treadmill.
  • ARain103
    Options
    My elliptical shows me how many calories I have burned. I know that it is not completely accurate but I pick something I ate throughout the day that I wish I hadn't, figure out how many calories it was worth and then try to burn at least that many during my workout. It gives me a short term purpose during my workout and makes me feel like I've never even cheated! Good Luck!