Counting calories

Options
Myfitnesspal states that I should not under eat for my calorie counting. My question is: does it matter what time of the day I eat as long as I meet my calorie intake? Would it be ok to eat all my calories later on during the night? Or should I try to eat most of my calories in the morning?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I eat about 200 calories for breakfast, 300 for lunch and 1000 for dinner and evening snacking.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Agree, eat when you want, it makes no difference to your weight loss.
  • vannah2u
    vannah2u Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you would want to spread them out evenly throughout the day (or technically whenever you are awake). If you must go with one or the other, however, then a heavier breakfast is better than a heavier dinner, simply because you have the rest of the day to burn it off rather than eating a huge meal then sleeping. Eating roughly equal amounts during the day keeps your metabolism up and at its optimum level. Keep in mind though, that time should be allotted no matter what you decide to do. Your body will need time to adjust. For example, if you are used to eating heavily at night with hardly anything for breakfast and you change to a heavy breakfast, your body will initially be surprised by getting food when it typically feels as if it's in "storage mode". So that heavy breakfast will be held on to for a while until your body realizes that it will be a frequent change and can metabolize it rather than storing it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you would want to spread them out evenly throughout the day (or technically whenever you are awake). If you must go with one or the other, however, then a heavier breakfast is better than a heavier dinner, simply because you have the rest of the day to burn it off rather than eating a huge meal then sleeping. Eating roughly equal amounts during the day keeps your metabolism up and at its optimum level. Keep in mind though, that time should be allotted no matter what you decide to do. Your body will need time to adjust. For example, if you are used to eating heavily at night with hardly anything for breakfast and you change to a heavy breakfast, your body will initially be surprised by getting food when it typically feels as if it's in "storage mode". So that heavy breakfast will be held on to for a while until your body realizes that it will be a frequent change and can metabolize it rather than storing it.
    Actually, for weight loss purposes, it really doesn't matter what time of day you eat, or how big your meals are. It's how many calories you are consuming and burning that matters.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Eat when works for you.

Best idea is to eat when you are naturally hungry and don't eat when you are not. This will help prevent feeling hungry while trying to lose weight.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I have heard good things about intermittent fasting. I don't know much about it but it involves eating majority of your calories at once. worth checking out if that's how your day shapes up
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    In terms of math, it does not matter - - net energy used and net energy consumed balance to yield weight gain, loss, or stability.

I've seen research which indicates that higher-protein breakfasts lead to greater satiety throughout the day and less overindulgence in the evening.

I also have a friend on MFP who is doing an "intermittent fasting" approach to calorie control whereby he does not eat before noon.

You've taken the right step of getting started. It may take you some weeks before you find the most optimal meal size, time, and frequency for you.
  • Taes_Hunt
    Taes_Hunt Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this... I was making myself eat throughout the day when I really wasnt hungry because I thought I needed to spread my calories out. Now, I wont feel so bad if I skip a snack or not eat breakfast.
  • vannah2u
    vannah2u Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Actually, for weight loss purposes, it really doesn't matter what time of day you eat, or how big your meals are. It's how many calories you are consuming and burning that matters.

This from JesterMFP is also valid. The ultimate factor is your input vs output calorie deficit. That should be followed FIRST and can in fact give you the results you want without worrying about what time you eat. My previous suggestions was simply an extra way to keep your metabolism up all day. Small meals throughout the day are a great way to do that, but also requires time. Please do not force yourself to eat. I personally follow this and have done so for years because I NATURALLY am hungry every 3 hours unless i have a huge meal. Obviously, it all depends on your body's needs and your lifestyle.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

This from JesterMFP is also valid. The ultimate factor is your input vs output calorie deficit. That should be followed FIRST and can in fact give you the results you want without worrying about what time you eat. My previous suggestions was simply an extra way to keep your metabolism up all day. Small meals throughout the day are a great way to do that, but also requires time. Please do not force yourself to eat. I personally follow this and have done so for years because I NATURALLY am hungry every 3 hours unless i have a huge meal. Obviously, it all depends on your body's needs and your lifestyle.

Your metabolism doesn't bounce up and down during the day based on when or what you eat.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Your metabolism doesn't bounce up and down during the day based on when or what you eat.

I've seen this stated frequently and with conviction here.

It makes me wonder, at what point does intake have an impact on metabolism? Once every twelve hours? Twenty four? Could I eat 14,000 calories each Sunday and be good for the week? Once annually?
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Doesnt really matter. I wouldnt suggest eating all calories at one meal though.

I eat about 200-300 calories for breakfast, 300-400 for lunch and 700-900 for dinner and evening snacking.

My goal is 1690.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

I've seen this stated frequently and with conviction here.

It makes me wonder, at what point does intake have an impact on metabolism? Once every twelve hours? Twenty four? Could I eat 14,000 calories each Sunday and be good for the week? Once annually?

You might explode if you ate once annually. On the other hand, no more stress about metabolism.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    No difference for weight loss but you'll have more energy spacing it out. At least that's what I've found x
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Still wrong. Your metabolism doesn't rev up and slow down during the day based on when you eat.

Don't believe me? Check out intermittent fasting. See how those people are still losing weight despite not eating on the regular.
  • LucyAndDiamonds
    Options
    No it doesn't make a difference. Eat when you're hungry. I usually eat very light during the day before my workouts in the afternoon (usually around 4 or 5 I go to the gym for an hour to two). When I get calories back I can eat pretty much whatever and still have a hard time reaching my calorie specifications. I haven't been at this long (a little under a week and a half) but I've been so surprised I haven't had to deprive myself AT ALL. Some people feel they have more energy grazing or spacing it out and some feel better after a fasting period (I do). Do whatever feels best for your body.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Stupid scientists should come to MFP forums instead of wasting science money and research time on settled issues.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=impact+of+meal+frequency+on+metabolism&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=5nzPUNrpL4OS9gTt1oG4Cg&ved=0CDEQgQMwAA

An unresolved issue in the field of diet and health is if and how changes in meal frequency affect energy metabolism in humans.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2121099/
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I try to eat 6 small meals throughout the day, but I try (and am not always successful) to make my largest meal lunch. That way I have some time to digest my meal before going to bed. This helps me stay satisfied so I don't get hungry and over-eat.
  • dbmanawat
    Options
    This community rocks!!!! Thanks everybody!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Stupid scientists should come to MFP forums instead of wasting science money and research time on settled issues.

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=impact+of+meal+frequency+on+metabolism&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=5nzPUNrpL4OS9gTt1oG4Cg&ved=0CDEQgQMwAA

An unresolved issue in the field of diet and health is if and how changes in meal frequency affect energy metabolism in humans.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2121099/
    Here's some research review for you, along with very sensible/logical analysis:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html