suggestions for hurt back

gpies
gpies Posts: 56 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all - just curious on this. I haven't worked out for about a week now (at all), which in turn has made me give up for a few days on eating right - yes, I know. Terrible (My eating has been off and on a bit but this situation didn't help at all). The reason behind my not working out however is due to a hurt back. I'm not even sure what I did to it, but I couldn't even move off the couch with heating pad for days. Couldn't bend, turn my head, sleep in any direction, nothing. Today is a week since it happened and I have most movement back, but still cannot turn my neck fully to each side. My back itself does not hurt as much and I am able to pick up my baby (2 yrs) which I couldn't even do whatsoever last week. But of course now that I am feeling about 75%, I'm itching to exercise and get back on track. Problem is, I'm not sure what to start with without causing injury to my back. I do everything from jogging, videos, weights (at home) Wii, etc. I haven't lost much weight since I've started, but am happy that my exercise routine was up to 4 days/week and making me feel better and stronger. This hurt back has been such a frustration and disappointment.

Any suggestions a) for something to get this back better b) something "light" I can start with (walking burns very few calories for me typically).... big sigh. or c) should I even attempt physical activity at all until the back is 100%?

I know I may get a " why don't you go to the doctor?" answer but I typically have a high tolerance for things and don't end up at the MD unless it is something outstanding - along with yearly physicals of course. Thanks for any imput!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Try walking. Walking loosens everything up. I used to have a really stiff back and since working out, I am so loosey goosey and I feel great. I don't know if you've injured yourself or what but walking shouldn't do much harm. If it hurts more, don't do it. Hope you feel better!
  • I have been seeing physical therapy for my back for a couple months. They told me to not do any high impact activity, therefore I have been doing 45 minutes on the elliptical 5 days a week. Sigh! About ready to throw that elliptical out the window, but as of this week I can finally start running again. I could bike too while I was on profile, but I could never get my heart rate up high enough on the bike. They also had me doing some back strengthening exercises on the ball. That helped some too.
This discussion has been closed.