Eating at night?

Options
I have question

I eat 6 small meals a day but at night I get really hungry and If I dont eat I get a little sick and in the morning my breakfast dont really satisfy me although I eat a good Bf. Its not until later in the day I start coming around but feels tired. I do know you shoudn't eat at least 2 hours before bedtime. should I eat again before those two hours?

Replies

• micnic
    micnic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    IMO, I don't really believe in the "you should not eat within 2 hours of going to bed". Of course, you don't want to eat a large meal and go to sleep afterwards but I don't think a small snack will hurt you. As long as you are remaining within your calorie limit for the day, a healthy snack before bed shouldn't hurt you.
  • Chiqueta
    Chiqueta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't think that eating a little snack before bed time would be bad as long as it fits into your calorie budget. If I'm hungry (actual hunger and not craving) before bedtime, I eat. Also, what do you usually eat for breakfast? I usually have some low-fat yogurt mixed with mixed nuts and grape nuts and that usually keeps me satisfied until lunch.

Hope this helps
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I read through your last few days of your food diary - hope you don't mind - anyway that one thing that stood out to me is that you don't eat a whole lot of protein - you actually are under your protein by quite a bit. This is one thing that I don't try to stay under - I eat all of my protein and then some - especially on days I excersize. Protein keeps you full longer - add some Peanut Butter in the morning on your toast or have a slice of Turkey Bacon or an egg. Don't be afraid of Protein - its good for you. Also make sure your bread choices are 100% whole grain - they keep you fuller longer as well and give your body some much needed fiber! If you are truly hungry then you must eat - starving yourself is not going to solve any problems - you won't be able to stick to your calorie plan in the long run if you are hungry all the time. Good luck and hope this helps!:smile:
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    I have question

I eat 6 small meals a day but at night I get really hungry and If I dont eat I get a little sick and in the morning my breakfast dont really satisfy me although I eat a good Bf. Its not until later in the day I start coming around but feels tired. I do know you shoudn't eat at least 2 hours before bedtime. should I eat again before those two hours?

As long as you are in your calorie range, it doesn't matter what time you eat. That has always been my belief. For me, if I'm hungry in the middle of the night, I will eat a bowl of cereal, yogurt, granola bar, or something. I just put it in my calorie calculator. You should not starve because you are afraid to eat after a certain time.
  • allykat8
    allykat8 Posts: 237
    Options
    I read through your last few days of your food diary - hope you don't mind - anyway that one thing that stood out to me is that you don't eat a whole lot of protein - you actually are under your protein by quite a bit. This is one thing that I don't try to stay under - I eat all of my protein and then some - especially on days I excersize. Protein keeps you full longer - add some Peanut Butter in the morning on your toast or have a slice of Turkey Bacon or an egg. Don't be afraid of Protein - its good for you. Also make sure your bread choices are 100% whole grain - they keep you fuller longer as well and give your body some much needed fiber! If you are truly hungry then you must eat - starving yourself is not going to solve any problems - you won't be able to stick to your calorie plan in the long run if you are hungry all the time. Good luck and hope this helps!:smile:

I agree with the above. You are way way low on protien. Try getting closer to your goal and stay within your range. I think you will notice a difference.
  • AlyssaC2010
    AlyssaC2010 Posts: 100
    Options
    A doctor once told me it doesn't matter how late you eat at night, it matters what you eat. Good things like fruit, veggies, etc are good. Although I think an hour or two is good before just because you don't want to eat then lay down & get heartburn or anything.