Sleep.. problems and solutions

Options
I have been plagued by sleep issues for years, so is my husband. We were talking and wondering how common are sleep issues? I can go days with only an hour or two of sleep. If you do have sleep issues, does your bed partner? What have you done to help it?

I find the days I go without sleep, I make a concious effort to atleast not let it effect my hubby. I will leave the bed and just hang out in the dark on the couch down stairs. It starts a horrible cycle though. The next day I crave carbs and junk food to help push myself through the day; however, I do not have the energy to work out. I will be tired all day until I get home, and when it is time to go to bed, the cycle starts again. I have tried meditation, reading, and teas. Any advice?

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I resolved sleep issues (insomia, slow sleeping, frequent waking, and severe sleep apnea) with diet. I also make sure that there is no light and minimal EMFs in my sleeping area. Nothing else but a healthy high fat, low carb (lots of veggies, no grains/legumes) diet has ever helped my sleep (and many other health issues).
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I have trouble sleeping. My mind just won't shut off at night. Pot cures that. The stuff knocks me out.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'll go through periods where I only get an hour or two of sleep a week. I do not get out of bed, as I'm afraid that will start a habit, and figure just laying there is at least more restful that watching TV or something. I've tried listening to music, but end up counting beats or listening for the next song, etc. I also found my ears were getting sore from the earbuds. I found these sleep headphones that are in a soft head band and that helped a bit, also tried switching to binaural beats rather than my normal music.
  • christinekry
    christinekry Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I can't fall asleep unless I have something to listen to, or unless I read until I literally pass out. I often wake up in the middle of the night, extremely disoriented and confused. And, I have a very difficult time with alertness in the a.m.

Also, I do not function well with less than 6 hours of sleep.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I take an anti anxiety..before it..i would have fitful sleep, not feel rested and so forth..now ..I sleep and stay asleep and have no issues waking up in the morning
  • heatherpg47
    heatherpg47 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I am sad/ glad to know this is not an uncommon issue. Thanks also for sharing your solutions!
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I agree with the opinion above about diet and reducing light and EMF and other stimulation, and I also just see that in my world, almolst everyone has trouble sleeping near the full moon, dark of the moon, sometimes the one-half waxing or waning moon, stuff like that: the same people on my friends' lists online complain about lack of sleep pretty much the exact same time of months/more than once per month, and they STILL get all worked up and reach for the ambien and all of that, and then get all surprised when it doesn't help or makes things worse. I think that healthy bedtime, healthy diet, avoiding the booze and caffeine and other things that wreck sleep, and having a comfortable healthy temperature in your room (apparently people go to sleep when the body cools down, so that is why they say a hot bath before bed can help, since then your body will cool down and induce sleep) are really what will help in the long term. That, and addressing things like chronic pain or anger and stress--there are a lot of articles of things that may help. Good luck: sleep is so vital to health and happiness.
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've recently started taking magnesium powder before bed and it helps me a lot. Also pay attention to your diet. No caffeine or irritants after noon. I also heard milk is actually worst then better when going to bed.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    look into Melatonin.
  • skazerani
    skazerani Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been working in sleep medicine for 9 years, I have seen some cases like yours. I suggest you see a physician that is specialized in sleep medicine. You might have a underlining medical condition that causes this or have other serious sleep disorders. Either way you need to get checked out because lack of sleep can cause many medical problems.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Force yourself to exercise, even if you feel too tired to do so. I often feel unmotivated, but getting a good hour workout helps. I go for some intense cardio (bike, treadmill, elliptical) involving intervals for some of that time. When I switch to weights, I lift as much as I can and give myself very minimal breaks (10-30 seconds) between sets, to keep my heart rate up. That should help, but you have to do it.

Other than that, I use a white noise maker (fairly affordable and very effective) at night. I don't always need it, but it helps.

Finally, I would suggest sex before bed. I have had some instances where it ramped me up a bit, but it usually knocks me out. Again, we don't always FEEL like it (just like exercising), but once you're there and into it you usually don't regret having started.

The hardest part about almost any aspect of life is showing up. Just get there and start doing it and I promise you will be happy you did for one reason or another. I am sorry to hear about your sleep issues. I struggled with this very seriously until I started drinking less, eating more healthfully, and exercising regularly. I have found that once you do those three things, you will start feeling and looking better in many ways. Your skin clears up, digestive issues and stomach aches go away, headaches go away, and your self-image / self-esteem will jump way up. Healthy living is healthy all over the place, including the way you sleep.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    As I get older, I sleep less. I'm 46. In my 20's and 30's, I could sleep after drinking a cup of coffee right before bedtime. Not anymore. I also recently went through a period of very low iron, and sleepless nights. After my doctor put me on iron supplements, my sleep habits improved.

So, for me:

- no caffeine after lunch.
    - no heavy meals or snacks within an hour of going to bed.
    - exercise certainly helps, but not too close to bedtime. If I work out in the morning, I sleep like a champ
    - I won't get out of bed unless it is a weekend night. Week nights I tough it out and at least get some "rest", though not always a lot of sleep. Eventually, I find I will drift off.
    - no mention of a TV in your bedroom, but if you do, I would encourage you to get rid of it. I found the stimulation of watching a game or TV show and then trying to sleep was too much.

Good luck!
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with sleep issues since I was a toddler. I have a form of day/night reversal. It's a struggle for me to go to sleep before 4 am, and hard to wake up before noon. I usually try to work night shifts or evening shifts at my job so that I can just go with it. My last job was 8am-5pm though which was torture. The only thing that helped a little (other than wine-not the best) is melatonin. But even though it's natural in can cause some side effects (night sweats, groggy in the morning). Also, try to get more water, protein and nutritious snacks on days when you feel tired. They are going to actually fuel your body instead of causing multiple sugar crashes.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options

- no mention of a TV in your bedroom, but if you do, I would encourage you to get rid of it. I found the stimulation of watching a game or TV show and then trying to sleep was too much.

Good luck!

^^This, and also, I have been told by my doctor that lights from cell phones, laptops, ereaders, etc can be very disruptive to people with sleep disorders. Try staying away from those a few hours before bedtime.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I resolved sleep issues (insomia, slow sleeping, frequent waking, and severe sleep apnea) with diet. I also make sure that there is no light and minimal EMFs in my sleeping area. Nothing else but a healthy high fat, low carb (lots of veggies, no grains/legumes) diet has ever helped my sleep (and many other health issues).
    I resolved my frequent waking with diet as well (lots of veggies/fruits/legumes, minimal grains/sodium/dairy/caffeine, no refined/processed sugar/flour, sodas, etc.) and losing 46+ lbs drastically reduced my sleep apnea. Exercise like a good brisk walk for about an hour helps immensely, too.
    You're definitely not alone in this issue. Let us know if you find something that works for you.
  • GrammyNanner
    GrammyNanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain... I sleep for 2 hours, then wide awake, cat nap and toss & turn until morning. Have been evaluated for sleep apnea, none found. My issue is chronic pain. It's maddening...:(
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    look into Melatonin.

I had seen my doctor about this a few years ago and that's what she recommended. Melatonin did help a bit. I've had insomnia and nightmares my whole life. Finally started sleeping about three years ago. Good luck.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I find Knob Creek, Johnnie Walker Black, and a Guinness solve my sleeping issues.
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I struggle with sleep issues as well. Most of mine revolve around waking up way too early and not being able to go back to sleep. Sometimes I'm up at 4 on the weekends, for absolutely no reason. I haven't figured out how to deal with this yet though. I sure wish I could.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    I have been working in sleep medicine for 9 years, I have seen some cases like yours. I suggest you see a physician that is specialized in sleep medicine. You might have a underlining medical condition that causes this or have other serious sleep disorders. Either way you need to get checked out because lack of sleep can cause many medical problems.

I did this. I recommend it as well. I have had severe insomnia for over 10 years. It's worth it to look into your opitions. Diet and working out help as well. I tend to push through and work out the day after a rough night's sleep and find once I do I can usually fall asleep a little easier.