Squatting At A Gym?

Options
Okay so I've only ever used the gym for cardio because I honestly have no idea how to use the contraptions in the weight room.

I want to start squatting, and I really can't afford to buy my own squat rack, so naturally I'm looking to do it at the gym.

Can I ask the staff to show me how to load the bar ect, or do I need to hire a personal trainer for an hour to teach me? Not sure of gym etiquette!

Replies

• chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Well, to load the bar you just put the weight on it. Obviously don't lump it all on one side then the other or it might overbalance off the rack.

Google to get technique. Watch youtube videos, and watch more than just 1 or 2 as some of them might not have perfect form themselves or might not explain it right. I like to watch loads and assimilate the information to make sure I get proper form.

If they have trainers walking about though, I'm sure they wouldn't mind giving you some help but if it's just reception staff I wouldn't expect them to be any more knowledgeable than you are.

A session with a trainer would be a good idea, but just mind that you get one that knows what they are talking about. As with my youtube comments - you don't want someone teaching you bad form.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I've been squatting with "barbie weights" for over a year now and I'm well and truly ready to move on!

I've been watching a few different videos on how to squat with the barbell ect and my questions aren't so much about form, more "where are the weights kept, is there a specific section of weights that are used with this barbell, how do I secure them?"

The more I think about it, the more I think it might be worth it to meet with a PT at least once so they can show me how to use the equipment and check my form.

Edit for spelling.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Um, you are strong, yes, load the bar up yourself, if you cannot lift the weights you are loading onto the bar, then you shouldn't be lifting them LOL!

p.s. there are usually clips or sleeves to keep the weights in place. The weights are never far from the squat rack or the bench press area...
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    At the gym I go to there are staff you can ask to help you out to start, but for more that "this is how to set up the squat rack" you'd need a PT. I hired a PT to get me started and I still see him once a week. You have to be firm though and tell them you want to lift, otherwise they assume you want Barbie weights.

By the way, I suggest starting with just the bar to get you started.
  • Jo5ie
    Jo5ie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You should ask the staff. If you pay gym membership this normally includes advice and a program. You will need help on what weghts to use and technique to get it right and make it effective.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I know at my gym you can just ask a member of staff and they'll spend 10 mins with you showing you the ropes, no PT session required if you don't want one. Worthing asking first
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys/gals! I'll go ask tomorrow :)
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Power Squat form:
    - Low Bar
    - Feet set outside shoulder width
    - Chest up
    - Root Lock
    - *kitten* to grass

Conventional Squat:
    - High Bar
    - Feet shoulder width apart
    - Chest up
    - Depth down to parallel or below parallel.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    what is a 'power squat'? one you're supposed to do quickly?

Just a heads up - at my gym the bar itself weighs 20kg!
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Power Squat im referring to a specific form that most power lifters use. Not all, but my friends that are power lifters really advocate the low bar and the other techniques i describes so they can lift more weight. And same at my gym. You can always tell if a gym is worth the expense or not if they have Olympic bars.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Okay so I've only ever used the gym for cardio because I honestly have no idea how to use the contraptions in the weight room.

I want to start squatting, and I really can't afford to buy my own squat rack, so naturally I'm looking to do it at the gym.

Can I ask the staff to show me how to load the bar ect, or do I need to hire a personal trainer for an hour to teach me? Not sure of gym etiquette!

I had this same issue about 6 weeks ago. I read books, then watched youtube videos...then I went in and asked the trainer on duty at the Y if he could please watch my squat to make sure I had my form right. He's such a sweet guy--he said my form was awesome, about once a week he asks me about what weight I am up to, and Friday he walked by and gave me a thumbs up while I was squatting. I can hardly wait til I have the cash to hire him!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    watch some vids on youtube on how to squat.

"so you think you can squat" would be a good start.
    avoid anything with Mark Rippetoe, as he can't squat.....
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

thats the standard weight of a bar
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    ...avoid anything with Mark Rippetoe, as he can't squat.....

He dose a excellent job of teaching low bar squats.

High bar squats are not what he teaches....
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

He dose a excellent job of teaching low bar squats.

High bar squats are not what he teaches....

He comes out of the hole with his hips first (always emphasizes hip drive). Show a beginner to drive with their hips first, and they end up doing good mornings...........

I'd much rather learn how to squat from a lifter who has squatted a grand or more. Ripp wasn't a great squatter, he even admits it in SS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao

And there are other vids out there with decent squat form. Just take some time and look around.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

Yes, and you don't need an hour it should take 15 mins
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Ask the gym staff or a buddy.

if you ask a gym trainer, he will spend an hour making you believe that you cannot ever progress without him by your side, make you cry and feel weak and dependent and then all of a sudden you'll be believing him.

gym staff, buddy after reviewing on youtube first. youtube is great for getting a good idea in your head before you go into it with someone.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

He writes a good book, but he doesn't seem to notice in his videos when his students have really awful habits/form that are contrary to his own writing.
  • remembertheharddrive
    Options
    OT: The title of this thread made me thinking of "squatting" like taking up residence illegally. You know, sleep under a bench with one of the yoga class blankets, drink muscle milk from the vending machine and take your baths in the pool...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    The gym staff should get you started. Most gyms also offer 1 free training session that you might be able to take advantage of. The other thing you can do is ask another gym member to help you. Most lifters I know will always pause their workout to help out a fellow lifter.

He writes a good book, but he doesn't seem to notice in his videos when his students have really awful habits/form that are contrary to his own writing.

Someone posted a YouTube of him squatting 315 for 10 reps that had me laughing for an entire week.