What are some healthy appetizers?

Options
We have a family tradition of eating appetizers for dinner on New Year's Eve. I usually just buy the junk in the freezer section but I am trying to get healthy so I was thinking of making some healthier ones. Only, I can't think of any. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Replies

• Djbass728
    Djbass728 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hummus with a whole wheat cracker =)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I make spinach and artichoke dip, but sub greek yogurt for the sour cream. Delish and healthy!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You could make baked, battered mushrooms... baked jalapeno poppers (SOOOO easy to make and you can cut the breading out to make them better), make dip (french onion, spinach, etc) yourself and serve with breads, veggies and homemade chips (chop up tortillas and baked), baked chicken wings, make your own pizza pop type things (use the small egg roll wrappers that are in the salad section of most stores), etc. There are TONS of options!
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    They have those little phylo cups...2 are about 25 calories. The are endless possibilities for those!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Shrimp!
  • kittymoney
    kittymoney Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    lowfat cream cheese (16 oz, 1 pkt of chili seasoning, 2 tablespoons of salsa - mix together and form a cheese ball. optional to roll ball in shredded cheese and nuts - this goes over big in my family and I serve with a variety of crackers as not everyone eats the boring plain ones that i do.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    We have a family tradition of eating appetizers for dinner on New Year's Eve. I usually just buy the junk in the freezer section but I am trying to get healthy so I was thinking of making some healthier ones. Only, I can't think of any. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Also, make a list of your favs that you normally buy than search online and find recipes to make your own. You can make most of the purchased stuff at home.
  • Djbass728
    Djbass728 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Tomato/Basil skewers (think caprese salad on a toothpick) or deviled eggs....lots of great options!!! Even a fruit tray or meat tray - just don't add a lot of cheeses to the meat tray. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I did breaded zucchini sticks and they were awesome.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/baked-zucchini-sticks-13-pts.html
  • ThinVee
    ThinVee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I always find something yummy on these sites:

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/category/appetizers/

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes

http://www.hardlyhousewives.com/2011/12/hardly-housewives-2011-top-ten-favorite.html

Not all are "healthy" but easily lend themselves to healthier substitutions.
    Enjoy your party!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    This is delicious:

http://www.thelovelycupboard.com/2011/09/5-layer-greek-dip.html

I add a layer of tzatziki to the bottom, but if you do that, make sure to drain the tzatziki (or the Greek yogurt and cucumbers if you make it yourself) overnight before making it. Otherwise it's too watery. Serve with multigrain pita chips.

Also a veggie tray with a Greek yogurt dip.
    Shrimp cocktail
    Cowboy salsa (don't even need chips, just eat it with a spoon!)
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I make my own chicken fingers. Take chicken breast, slice it about 1/4 inch thick in strips, coat with your favorite seasonings and bake till done. Can use ranch, or other dips as wanted.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    small rounds of beetroot use a cookie cutter to make them even or interesting shapes topped with smoked fish pate made from low fat philidelphia and smoked fish and lemon and herbs. Dips made with yoghurt and served with vege batons and breadsticks for those that want them. Fresh figs topped with a little goats cheese. Shots of vege soup. Lots of options
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    whole wheat flat bread pizza wraps, sliced up... looks nice on a platter also!

90 cal flat bread pizza / sanwich wraps
    1/8 cup pizza sauce 15 ca
    fine diced tomatoe
    fine diced red onion
    fine diced red, yellow and red pepper
    diced garlic
    1/4 cup low fat motzerella cheese
    roll it up, cook on baking sheet until desired crispiness
    slice it up
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Some off the top of my head are: goat cheese stuffed piquillo peppers, proscuitto wrapped apples or melon (hell, I'd proscuitto wrap my FINGER and eat it) or any number of deviled eggs (curry, chipotle, shrimp & dill, pesto). These are all easy prep and can sit out for a few hours on your holiday table.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    turkey quesadillas, black bean salsa, baked chicken finders or wings, baked zucchini sticks, baked wontons
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    wheat / grain crackers
    top with hummus, then fresh mango salsa

also looks nice on platter, taste awesome!!!
  • Rwheltsley
    Rwheltsley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A good and healthy appetizer that I like to make for company:

Get the Kirkland Smoked Salmon Slices/Foppen Norwegian Smoked Salmon from Costco (or Nova Lox from just about any grocery store) - cut into smaller roll slices

Philadelphia cream cheese - You can sub out for the fat free or my favorite, the 1/3 less calories Chive and Onion cream cheese

1 red onion

capers

triscuits

Put out all the ingredients separate - guests can grab a cracker, spread some cream cheese on it, put on the onion and caper, and top it with a slice of the salmon. Just about my favorite appetizer. Easy, delicious, and pretty healthy.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    slice up apples
    homemade low calorie caramel (different ways to make)

put apples on platter with a dipping bowl full of caramel

here is how i make my caramel... http://queenbeecoupons.com/slow-cooker-crockpot-caramel-using-sweetened-condensed-milk/