Question about sodium

Options
Ok, so I had a good lunch: 2oz turkey breast, 2 small slivers of an avocado on a whole wheat tortilla with 2 cups spring mix and cranberry, walnut and gorgonzola dressing. Total calories was 295. I knew I needed something extra so I went to the cafetaria and got a 12oz Italian Wedding soup (the two other choices were cream based). That soup added 1100+ of sodium putting me over my limit of 2500 for the day.

So, my question is, is it really bad to go over on your sodium limit?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Well, yes...extra sodium makes you retain water (I guess to rehydrate what the sodium is drying out, essentially) just like when you don't drink water at all, you retain water to keep hydrated. Drink a lot of water to flush it out.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    for one day? No, not a big deal. But to go over consistently is not a good idea. Excess sodium will cause water retention in the short term, and if I'm not mistaken, heart problems in the long term.

Sidenote- drinking water won't really flush the sodium out of you, but in a couple days it will be gone on it's own.
  • rpolzin25
    rpolzin25 Posts: 19
    Options
    Too much sodium on a long term basis can elevate your blood pressure and also short term.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that the only people who have to watch their sodium intake are people with high blood pressure and kidney issues. Since I used to have high blood pressure, I watch mine, but I have to keep in mind that when we exercise intensely, we sweat out electrolytes (including sodium) and they need to be replaced.

I think the current guidelines (to keep under 2000-2500 depending on who you listen to) are too broad and one-size-fits-all. On days I bike for 3 hours, I'm going to have to go way over the RDA or I'll end up cramping up and nauseous or worse.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments. I feel much better. I hardly ever go over on my sodium, and I am actually at this point only over by 82. I have already logged for dinner, so I don't think that is too bad. Not to mention that I will be sweating when I do my cardio workout this afternoon.

Thanks again!