Belly Dancing and burning

Options
I got together with some of my friends the other night and we talked about fitness. And one of my friends started up about belly dancing. Well, I'm gonna take it up. After all most of the weight problem that sits on me is my stomach. It's always been a problem. So, I think I'm going to focus a lot on my core muscles.

I used to take modern dance in college for some classes, but never really got into it all that much. But belly dancing looks fun and I think it will be an easier way to burn off the weight. Besides it's best to be having fun when you workout otherwise it becomes a chore.

I think I might have to search around my house and find my old set of hip bells I used to wear when I would dress up as a gypsy for the Renaissance fairs.:bigsmile:

Replies

• drnelson79
    drnelson79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Belly dance is a great workout. If you can' t find any classes in your area Rachel Brice has started online classes at www.daturaonline.com. Also to find classes in your area www.shira.net.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You're going to have fun, and burn lots of calories while you're at it!
  • raelorien
    raelorien Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Have a wonderful time!
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I got together with some of my friends the other night and we talked about fitness. And one of my friends started up about belly dancing. Well, I'm gonna take it up. After all most of the weight problem that sits on me is my stomach. It's always been a problem. So, I think I'm going to focus a lot on my core muscles.

I used to take modern dance in college for some classes, but never really got into it all that much. But belly dancing looks fun and I think it will be an easier way to burn off the weight. Besides it's best to be having fun when you workout otherwise it becomes a chore.

I think I might have to search around my house and find my old set of hip bells I used to wear when I would dress up as a gypsy for the Renaissance fairs.:bigsmile:

I totally agree with you. Any workout or off-workout time, that involves rhythmic, sensual and erotic dancing is an absolute must - be it belly dancing (and other like genres), working the pole, latin ballroom dancing .... ! How our form responds is outrageously worth each minute to an hour we can spare - whenever and however the fancy takes us.

Have fun!!
  • Sixalicious
    Sixalicious Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My daughter wants to take Belly Dancing class. I'm thinking about joining here, but haven't decided yet. We used to have a DVD when she was younger. It's a pretty good workout in my opinion.
  • VanityizFamous
    Options
    I used to belly dance B.C. (Before Children LOL) I was really good at it in high school. And now 2 kids later and fluffy tummy later I never imagined to be this big in my life.

I recommend Veena and Neena DVD's. It's excellent for beginners but the camera angles aren't too good but you overall get the steps and gives you a taste of what its like. Its really fun and brings out that "inner goddess" in anyone.'
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Findekano
    Findekano Posts: 116
    Options
    If you really want to burn cals, get into Sadie's drum solo DVDs. VERY difficult, but once you get the moves down, it's a great workout.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    It is a great way to exercise (in spite of my weight, I get compliments on my performances because of my muscle control) but highly addictive. I started out in an exercise class at a gym for fun, that was almost 10 years ago. I switched from the class at the gym to a studio after a few weeks, it took them three years to convince me to perform at recital, then when I was moved up to the advanced class after recital (I was the only one that stayed after recital and the director had no other class to put me in) they (the students not the studio director) tricked me into being part of the performance troupe and then that because I was troupe/advanced class I had to do solo performances. I've been performing and soloing at recital ever since (I've done solos using veil, sword, feather fans, candles, voi and this year I'm performing with veil fans) and in the past two years I've done performances as part of a duet (we perform as a duet and doing solos for the entire performance.)
    I'll admit I'm not a fan of the DVDs (I don't like most instructional DVDs only because you can't get the corrections you need on form, but to each their own) but however you do it, just remember to have fun with it and that bellydancing is a celebration of your womanhood, celebrate it with joy
  • VanityizFamous
    Options
    I agree! Belly Dancing makes me forget that I'm jiggling everywhere and makes me feel like a piece of ribbon floating in the air.