What workout program would you recommend for me?

Options
Hi all...I've been a member of MFP since April and lost 26 pounds. Unfortunately, stress and the holidays have made me gain 20 back, but I'm not giving up! I want to start some kind of video program, I feel like it will give me better success because getting myself to the gym just...doesn't happen as often as it should.

I've been curious about Insanity, but my brother tried it but said "it's not a fat person work out plan" so I've researched other options and read about Turbo Fire...

My question is, is Turbo Fire "fatty friendly"? With 100+ pounds to lose, I don't want to hurt myself, but I want something aggressive and challenging. I'm not in horrible shape for how over weight I am.

I'd love to hear some personal experiences with Turbo Fire (or any workout program) and maybe some pics, too!

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I would stick to getting set in a healthy eating at a calorie deficit routine before trying to getting into any other programs.
  • debstanley4
    debstanley4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Bumping this I would like to see what is said.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I would really recommend figuring out some routine you can do yourself without the aid of a video. This makes you self-sustainable. Just my opinion of course.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I would start with maybe Jillian Michael's. You can get her 30 Day Shred Videos for free on Youtube and other great ones! I started with those before I joined the gym and they definitely helped me!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I used to really like videos and I dekinitely lilked Turbo Jam! It is more about what you're eating though.
  • dab52776
    dab52776 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Curious as well....
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the input, please keep them coming!

It doesn't seem like it being that I mentioned how I gained 20 lbs back...But I DO know how to eat and manage a healthy calorie deficit, I just lost track and lacked motivation/time with the stress of finals for college and working full time on top of it. I agree, though...Eating healthy in conjunction with a work out plan is vital, I plan to eat healthy along with the program! =]
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I think "Slim in 6" is perfect for beginners. The 3 disc set consists of light cardio, resistance training and body sculpting. Way less intense/low impact when compared withTurbo Fire, Insanity, 30DS, P90X, etc.
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I am not sure of what you call fatty but I started on P90X when I was 72 pounds heavier. It was challenging and offered methods of modifications to help me get started. I modified and modified until I could actually do all of it at their pace and form. I cycled through it 3 times before I could do it all at their pace. Then I did P90X2 which was extremely challenging. I cycled through it 3 times before I took on Insanity. I am really enjoying Insanity but it is really intense and has a lot of cardio and there are not a lot of ways to modify the moves to keep up and not injure yourself. Slim in 6 or Power 90 may be a great place to start and still give you a challenge.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Kettleworx is awesome and not as intense as turbo but fantastic results! X
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I recommend starting with the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels as well before diving into a more intense routine. She gets results fast and it can better prepare you for Insanity or Turbo Fire or P90X, etc.

Good for you for not giving up! You got this! Just make sure you don't push yourself too hard, too fast.
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I've had some success with Jillian Micheal's 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30, and I've done Turbofire as well.

I liked them all, and you can modify moves in each of them so you are never pushed beyond your current ability. However, that being said I need more variety than the same workout DVD day after day.
  • emczech5
    emczech5 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the intensity level you are looking for. Personally, I love Leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos. I like them because they are easy to follow. However, they aren't incredibly intense. Don't get me wrong I still feel like I can get a good work out with her videos. They are cardio, and the intensity varies from video to video. The premise behind them is getting out and walking is good, but she adds different movements that add to the intensity of walking to give you a greater calorie burn. She tries to find ways to add a little bit of strength training in some of her videos to help tone and strengthen on top of the cardio but they are mostly cardio, geared more towards a beginners level.

Here is one of her videos on youtube to give you an idea of what her work outs are like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2gn6-w0dE
  • annbuschur
    annbuschur Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The Jillian Michaels series is pretty good to start out at L1 & you can progress. Can you get outside to walk? Even if it's cold, maybe bundle up & go out 1 or 2 times/wk??
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i'd put TF in the same catagory as insanity as far as 'fatty friendly' lol.

And not because they are so much hard cardio (which they are), more because they are both super high impact, and if your considerably overweight there is a real risk of joint damage even if you use impecable form.

I highly recommend Slim in 6. Significantly less intense then TF or insanity, but more then enough of a work out to get results and drop weight/gain stamina.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I would stick to getting set in a healthy eating at a calorie deficit routine before trying to getting into any other programs.

in the end, this is the best advice you will ever get.

No matter what work out you are doing, its still really 85% what you do/don't eat and 15% what you do.

Even with a program like insanity, its not hard to eat more calories then you burn.

You can eat less then you burn just by sitting on the couch by the way... so why work harder then you really have too?
  • jdub224
    jdub224 Posts: 120
    Options
    I just finished my 2nd 9 weeks of Insanity! and I love it. It is so hard you never "master" it. It is not the easiest starter, but I loved the challenge.

I think the key to my success was having a workout buddy that was committed. I knew he would be there every morning. I felt bad letting himself down. I have no problem letting myself down, but I was motivated knowing my friend would be there alone.

Whatever you do, find a friend to keep you going. Someone who is maybe 1 or 2 sizes smaller and slightly more in shape that will challenge you without making you feel shameful that you can't keep up or compare.

I would also suggest really watching your food. "Fasting" from something you truly enjoy in order to show yourself you can control your eating. The best step I took this summer was starting to run. If you can run for 60 seconds you can run 5k in like 9 weeks.

Seriously, you can do it. No doubts.
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I'm leaning towards Slim in 6 to start off with, I hadn't even heard of that one! I'm also planning to start eating clean again. I went a month where I ate clean and it did wonders, it is just a lot of cooking time so I slacked when things got too busy. Now that school is over I don't have that excuse anymore lol =)
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    The thing with Insanity, P90X, Turbo Fire, Jillian Michaels and such is that you're doing *something*! Who cares if you can 't move as fast, jump as high or take longer breaks....you are off the couch getting high intensity exercise.

I say any of them to be honest and go at your own pace. You may been 2-4 rounds until you can actually keep up....but use that as your goal!!

I'd probably suggest any Jillian Michaels to get started. Then graduate to new and harder videos.

Eat healthy, move more and challenge yourself. You will succeed if you really want to.

Good luck!!
  • MavenMassage505
    Options
    Working out in the water would be the easiest to do since your weight would be taken out of the equation.
    If water isnt' an option, start working on your core. There is a great DVD called Core Secrets. Walking is also a great starting point.

As for your weight gain, figure out what triggered the emotional eating and "own it" and stop it from happening again and move on. It happened and now you are moving foward.

Good luck.