Anyone wih Lupus/Fibromyalgia/Sjogren's? How's your workout?

Options
I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Primary, this past January. I have been dealing with a lot of ailments that seem to exist with SP and I didn't know if anyone out there with Lupus or another AI illness/disease had a smarter lifestyle (diet and exercise). I feel that my abilites are hindered due to pain. I also find it hard to trust a scale due to access water weight, due to the SP. Are there any MFP'ers out there, that feel my pain?

Replies

• SarahAFerguson
    SarahAFerguson Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My MIL has all three of the conditions you mentioned. It is a big struggle for her, but she pushes through. Lately she has acquired the cutest dog, who insists she take a walk every day. She reports feeling much better now that she is moving regularly.
  • AndiNorwich
    Options
    I do feel that activity helps ease the pain (how odd, I know). I fear the winter/cold weather because I have an added gift of Raynaud's Phenomenon (which takes the circulation out of your hands/feet....then after awhile, rushes it back. feels like frostbite, the pain is horrible) which acts up in the cold. That means no outdoor running/cycling for me if the weather gets under 50 degrees. :(

Does she have food triggers?
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    My mom had Sjogren's and Lupus (SLE). I have Multiple Sclerosis. I also have arthritis. I completely understand the problems of outdoor activities.

I've never paid attention to food triggers. I might have to start watching that. I know for me, stress plays a huge roll. Even when I have a flare up, I still try to push through and workout. I also workout indoors, summer or winter.

I understand the frustrations but keep pushing forward. :)
  • lisitabonita
    lisitabonita Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have Fibro. I have found fewer flares and less intense flairs with daily movement and exercise. It can be very painful when I begin but I know that it'll be much better after 10-15 min. I also cut out most of the processed food and gluten. I am transitioning into a paleo diet, currently. I still have some gluten here and there but I am really noticed a marked difference since becoming active daily and focusing on moving the areas that hurt the most. Yoga helped a great deal in the beginning. I am a Zumba instructor and have to say it helps too. I am so sorry to hear that you have pain and other issues. I really hope that you can put your finger on what will work for you.
  • KrayKira
    KrayKira Posts: 230
    Options
    I'm gonna inbox you cause it's easier..
  • AndiNorwich
    Options
    I'm currently taking Zumba classes and I can say that from the moment of the class, for days after (normally until the next class starts up), I feel fantastic. It's completely loosened things up and beat my internals into submission. I was thinking of taking a yoga class on an off day, just to gain a center of balance again.

I too have flare ups with stress or too much sugar/processed foods. I guess that helps me tho, because I tend to stay away from them as much as I can. and at certain "times of the month" when my chemical balance is off whack, certain foods that normally don't bother me, can cause a flareup. hmmmmm....

I'm loving the contributions here.....keep 'em coming!
  • syrklc
    syrklc Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus/ Fibromyalgia / Hypothyroidism. The Lupus is my worst enemy because I have extreme fatigue and many days I have a hard time getting out of bed. I have chronic pain with the Fibromyalgia and 3 back surgeries. The hypothyroidism makes losing weight very difficult but not impossible. I had a thyroid tumor removed and one lobe about 15 years ago. I have been on synthroid since this time and also been battling weight gain. I find that exercising when I have good days and alternating my workout routines helps. I also have asthma and it is very difficult to workout in the summer. It is winter and I feel I have a better chance to get things under control now. I know it can be done regardless of your illnesses in life. I am not going to give up ;) Thanks for all the great info here. I admire everyone that is working hard to achieve their goal regardless of their health issues.
  • NinaSymone
    NinaSymone Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have Sjogren's and Fibromyalgia. I have gained a lot of weight from being depressed. I find limiting carbs (the white stuff) and eating baked foods helps a lot. My biggest issue is fatigue. How do you handle that with exercise???