HRM noob here, enlighten me?

Options
So I've been perusing around the forums here and there for the past few weeks, and many times it comes up that the MFP calorie counter isn't too terribly accurate, and that people should get a heart rate monitor.

So I guess, my question is, is that actually true? Also, what is a good heart rate monitor for a girl on a budget? Do you get what you pay for? Someone on another post said the polar ft7 is good, but I read that it was between $80-150! That's quite a lot since I more or less have no job (hours got slashed to almost nothing), and thus not a lot of spare money to spend.

Input on any of that would be most welcome :)

Replies

• likemeinvisible
    Options
    HRMs are good for aerobic activities where there is no other way to measure your burn: stationary bike, eliptical trainer, cross-skiing. For aerobic activities like walking, running and swimming mfp will be accurate enough, sometimes even more.

HRMs are an excellent tool to guide you during an aerobic exercise and meet a certain goal. For that purpose the current HR and average HR is all you need from your HRM, the rest is just nice to have. You will want different options for different activities.

For anaerobic activities like weighlifting and for short bouts like intervals, circuit training and anything where you are not constantly working at a steady pace HRMs are totally useless.
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think HRM are a total treat and definitely worth it! I know when I got my first one a few years ago, it felt a like a whole new world was opened to me. And yes, the calories on MFP are WAY off for the workouts that I did... mostly cardio...

I started out with a Mio which doesn't have a chest strap. Then after a couple years, I upgraded to the polar F7 LOVE IT! If you are looking for something more affordable go with the F4. THe only difference is that it only stores 10 workouts as opposed to 100. In all honesty, I never use that feature since I track my calories in MFP. Also, it just so happened that I was able to get my f7 on sale on ebay New in Box for like 40 bucks!

Go on ebay and see what you can get, you won't regret it! :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I would suggest adding drmerc and Fire_Rock as friends. They are both really helpful and motivating. They both also know a lot about HRMs. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies! Now I'm a little more educated on the topic. I guess my first stop then, would be to try ebay and see if I get a deal :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    MFP burns are estimates, they are based on averages.
    HRMs are also estimates. The formula they use are also based on averages. People here seem to think they are God, howeve they are not perfect. Can they be a useful tool? Yes but they are not perfect.

Here is a great post about accuracy and limitations of HRMs
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I would say look around at your local Big 5's, Sport Chalets, Sporting Goods stores, etc. Especially right after Christmas... hopefully there will be some sweet sales out there. I got a Polar FT-4 in March of this year and it's awesome. It's not one of the ones with all the fancy bells and whistles; it's mainly just for HR and calories burned.

I paid about $70 bucks for it at Big 5 - on sale.

Polars are pretty popular, actually.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    MFP burns are estimates, they are based on averages.
    HRMs are also estimates. The formula they use are also based on averages. People here seem to think they are God, howeve they are not perfect. Can they be a useful tool? Yes but they are not perfect.

Here is a great post about accuracy and limitations of HRMs
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

Solid information, thanks for linking it!

And upon reading the comments.....someone logged brushing their teeth as an exercise? Lolwut