What's the science between high carb cycling?

Options
On leangains.com they recommend eating a higher amount of carbs (over fat) on your lift days, and a higher amount of fat (over carbs) on non-lift days.

Can anyone break down the science behind this for me?

I've started to do this, well at least try, just wondering if it actually makes a difference.

Replies

• GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Got yo back homie ;) for starters it has a lot to do with the energy systems during different modes of exercise. At leangains.com the primary workout protocol seems to favor alternating lift days with cardio days. That means on the days you lift the main energy system being used (for exercise) is anerobic glycolysis which relies heavily on carbohydrates to make energy for the working muscles (ATP). So if your nutrition includes more carbs then BAM you get better energy production for that mode of exercise. And on non lift days the body will not require so many carb sources for energy so fat (the oxygen energy system used to make ATP) makes better sense since its the energy the body will be favoring during aerobic activity AND rest. PS, stealing your question cuz it was a good one. YOINK!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    On leangains.com they recommend eating a higher amount of carbs (over fat) on your lift days, and a higher amount of fat (over carbs) on non-lift days.

Can anyone break down the science behind this for me?

I've started to do this, well at least try, just wondering if it actually makes a difference.
    Based on insulin release for the 2. The less insulin the more fat is used as energy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    wuts the science behind leangains IF? bout the same as eating 6meals a day.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Martin Berkahn has never offered an explanation of his opinion on the issue, that I'm aware of.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am not aware of any appreciable direct advantage but would love to see the explanations.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I have no comment on the matter.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    This is my understanding and interpretation.

My base macro which I follow are: 55% carbs; 20% fat; 25% protein. I follow this setting when I am sedentary or performing a light day (3 mile runs or less + weights).

On my long run days (9+ miles), my macros take on the following: 60% carbs; 20% fats; 20% protein. On really, really long days, my macros will follow: 70% carbs, 15% fat, 15% protein.

As my distance in running increases, my overall calories increase. Carbs are my primary food when running. As my overall calories increase, my carbs source become primary. When graphing this, it appears my fat and protein percentages drop. This is not the case. It is my understanding my carbs become such a huge requirement that my overall percentages of fat and protein decrease. This is my understanding of high carb cycling.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Basically glycogen is used by the body for lifting and when not lifting, we don't need as much.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    IMO it's a way for Berkhan to differentiate himself from other IF styles to make it a bit more exclusive.

I've done it and I've done flat cal/carb days and I've done a variation of CBL. Cals in vs out is what matters most. (I always get enough P&F)