Cookies are ruining my diet

Options
I have been doing so well have lost 30 pounds and now the last two days my mother in law brought home bakery shortbread cookies and I gave into temptation but not like a normal person would with one or two I ate like 7 to 10 cookies each day. I dont want to go back to being fat im 15 pounds from my goal well 18 now post cookie ..... The worst time of day for me is from 1-5. I want to snack snack snack during that time please help me get through this hump.

Replies

• MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Throw them out, seriously.

That's been my problem the past few days. I have leftover cookies I baked for my son's birthday party, and I keep finding myself reaching in the cookie jar when I want a snack, instead of grabbing an apple or carrots or something. I finally got so ticked at myself I threw the cookies in the garbage. I can't snack on something that isn't there!!!!!
  • micnic
    micnic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am easily tempted too so I say, if you can't fight the temptation, get them out of your house. Give them away, throw them away, whatever...just don't have them there. It's okay to have a treat in moderation but if you eat 7 to 10 at a time, you just need to get rid of them. Good luck to you on your continued weight loss. Sounds like you have done great so far and you can continue on towards your goal. This is just a minor set back that you can eliminate. :wink:
  • oliviadylan2
    Options
    I agree I hid then but know where they are out of sight out of mind im hoping. I hate that my mother in law buys all this crap food. She buys it for my kids but they dont need all of it. She brings home donuts cookies mm's chips fast food all crap. Before she came to stay with us I had the kids eating much healthier with me now they eat all crap with her and I have to resist temptation everyday with all the bad food she brings home. I asked her not to but the standard response is I am grandma I get to spoil them. Its not spoiling though I was a fat kid I dont want my kids to have to go through that so im the bad guy when grandma isnt around and tell them no its just so hard. Hopefully she will be finding her own place again soon and life will resume to baked chips and fat free brownies for the kids LOL
  • fauxdetresse
    Options
    throw them out. i always throw out anything i don't want to eat. try chewing on gram crackers instead.
  • micnic
    micnic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would talk to her again and let her know you don't want these things in your house, for your sake and your kids. Explain to her what you just said here and let her know what are exceptable snacks that she can buy for the children. Good luck to you. Hopefully she will honor your wishes if you just explain it to her. And, if not, start throwing it away. Maybe she'll quit buying it if she sees her money being thrown in the garbage. LOL Maybe she will find her own place soon and you can return to your regular lifestyle. Good luck!
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I agree with throwing them out. I understand how you feel about not eating a few like a 'normal' person would. I don't eat sugar on the plan I am on but I had one day where I gave in and ate homemade cookies (cookies must be the enemy) and it shocked me that after almost two months of no sugar or simple carbs how easy it was to pick up some old very bad habits. Throwing them away worked for me.
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    I'm with everyone else... get rid of them! Also, I'm a big fan of celery or an apple with a little PB... it's so good, a little taste of sweet in the PB, and usually keeps me full for the afternoon. Also, I've found if I plan ahead and have my snacks prepared then I'll make much better decisions.... good luck:flowerforyou:
  • cbnorris
    cbnorris Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I agree I hid then but know where they are out of sight out of mind im hoping. I hate that my mother in law buys all this crap food. She buys it for my kids but they dont need all of it. She brings home donuts cookies mm's chips fast food all crap. Before she came to stay with us I had the kids eating much healthier with me now they eat all crap with her and I have to resist temptation everyday with all the bad food she brings home. I asked her not to but the standard response is I am grandma I get to spoil them. Its not spoiling though I was a fat kid I dont want my kids to have to go through that so im the bad guy when grandma isnt around and tell them no its just so hard. Hopefully she will be finding her own place again soon and life will resume to baked chips and fat free brownies for the kids LOL

I agree with the person who said you need to sit down with her again, and get your husband to too! Tell her that you love her and appreciate her kind gestures, but you are trying to live a healthier lifestyle, and your kids are included in that too. Tell her that maybe once a week she can take the kids out for ice cream. That way she has one-on-one time with them, doesn't bring it back to tempt you and she feels like she is spoiling them. Or that she can spoil them in other ways like taking them to the park, an arcade, go-karts, putt-putt, whatever! (plus this will give you and your husband some alone time together also, which I'm sure you don;t get as much of since she's moved in). Best of luck!
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    If I were you, I would talk to her again and let her know you don't want these things in your house, for your sake and your kids. Explain to her what you just said here and let her know what are exceptable snacks that she can buy for the children. Good luck to you. Hopefully she will honor your wishes if you just explain it to her. And, if not, start throwing it away. Maybe she'll quit buying it if she sees her money being thrown in the garbage. LOL Maybe she will find her own place soon and you can return to your regular lifestyle. Good luck!

I totally agree! I had MIL keep giving me candy at holidays that I repeatedly asked her not to. She even told me don't eat it, give it to her son. (why not just give it to him directly then? that's another post) Throw it away right in front of her.She will get the hint to not waste her money if its going in the garbage. It's your house not hers. If she doesn't like it perhaps she can find her own place sooner ;)
  • j32luv
    j32luv Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My mom does the same thing. I've finally gotten through to her about my weaknesses and how I don't want any of that junk food. However, she hides it from me but not my kids. My kids are gaining weight eating that junk. So I completely understand where your coming from. If you do find you need a snack in the afternoon, then go ahead and snack. What helps me in the afternoon is a Yoplait Light yogurt. They have so many flavors it truely feels like a dessert or a temptation I'm giving into. They're only about 100 calories so they are great for your calorie budget and they hold you over until dinner. Today II'll be trying the Red Velvet flavor, can't wait!
  • yumyumj
    yumyumj Posts: 1
    Options
    try pineapple chuck dole half cup 70 cal. or a bananna whole small 90 cal. i know the feeling of the cookie monster i have been there focus on your goal each tim you want a cokkie plug it in her and say no i want my goal. put that cookie back down now go walking good luck DeeDee:smile:
  • Jamie_Moy
    Jamie_Moy Posts: 40
    Options
    yep, just throw them out. I just through out peanut butter and chocolate graham crackers, cuz I kept midnight snacking on them! Ugh! Good luck!