Scared

Options
Hi, new here, and I just want somebody to tell me it's ok I guess. I'm a grand total of 60 inches tall (it sounds more impressive than 5'0"...) and when I really started working on my weight, I was 220. Being five foot, all charts and whatnot say that I should be around 120 lbs to be "healthy". I'm absolutely petrified that 120ish is going to look disgusting on me. I've always been the fat kid. Always been big. While I'd like to say my BMI is healthy, I'm terrified that I'm going to look sickly, not just skinny. My whole family has larger bone structure and have a few extra lbs, even the "skinny" ones. I just want to be healthy and look good for my hubby, to not have my son be ashamed that I'm his mom when he gets older, to stop being the "fat kid". Is 120ish really going to look good on my frame?

Replies

• chelery04
    chelery04 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I would get down to what feels comfortable for you. The charts aren't for everybody and if you get down to say 130-135 and it feels good and you feel good, then stop. Only you can decide what is a good weight for you. :)
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    You can always re-evaluate as you approach your goal. If you start to think you're looking sickly, you can stop losing weight. Nobody can stop you. :)
  • JMaass09
    Options
    I just don't want the Army dr's simply using their cookie cutter BMI tool and saying that because I'm not 125 or lower, I'm "overweight" and need to lose. It gets really old
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    It's really impossible to say until you get there! Frankly, BMI is not your doctor. It doesn't really take into account your body frame or musculature and works on a very generalized method wherein everyone should fit into a standardized box, which humanity tends not to do very well. We're a pretty varied group, so some will and some won't. For example, I'm not morbidly obese. According to my doctor I fall into the 'overweight' catagory, but all of the BMI calculations and calculators I've worked with tell me I'm going to die in five seconds if I don't get on the treadmill, basically. BMI, last I checked, wanted me to lose around 100lbs. Frankly, I don't have that much to lose unless I wanna throw my organs on the pile as well. c:

Focus on doing what makes YOU feel healthy. If your doctor agrees with that, even better! Eat wholesome foods (preferably six small meals a day if you can), focus on your nutrition and work on getting into shape. You can make 120lbs your goal but if you get to, say, 130lbs and feel that that's where you should cut it off because you don't want to be skin and bone, no biggy. In the end you gotta do what makes you feel fulfilled, happy, healthy and maintained, not what some chart on the wall is telling you.

Good luck~
  • luvinna
    luvinna Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm 61" :wink: and was 120 through most of high school and college. I also have a larger bone structure and I don't think I looked too skinny or sickly when I was that weight.

But I agree with everyone else. If you get to 130 or 135 and want to stop, stop. Don't let the BMI calculator dictate how much you should weigh. And maybe after you get used to seeing yourself at 135, you'll feel better about losing another 10 or 15 pounds. You never know! :smile:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's not going to happen overnight, or in a week, or even a month. You'll have plenty of time to evaluate as you lose. If you end up looking too thin for your liking, you can always gain some back. A lot of people who have always been big assume that they will look unattractive or sick at a healthy weight; they just can't picture themselves at that weight/size. Give yourself a chance, you might be surprised. If you want to stop before 120 lbs, that's up to you.
  • DoriGaga
    Options
    To avoid that "too skinny" look, you can always try adding some strength and toning exercises, because having more lean muscle is healthier than having extra fat, but it would help you not feel self-conscious and uncomfortable about being too thin. The BMI is not accurate for all people, and it's not the best tool, but it can help you kind of have a general idea of where you stand health wise, and whereabouts you should aim to be, but that is in no way set in stone!

I am not a fan of the super skinny look, I mean on some people it looks awesome, but it's not for me. I want to be lean and strong, but I'm ok with not seeing my ribs and not having stick arms, because I never have had that, and, like you, the thought scares me that I will look too skinny.