exercise and kids

Options
those of you with little kids and work full time, how do you find the time to workout longer than 30 minutes and not feel like you are neglecting them, I eat pretty good, and do workout when i can but i can't seem to find the time to workout (when i can) longer than 30 minutes a day. those of you that workout longer than an hour i have one question HOW??? incase your wondering i have a almost 3yr old and a 6mth old.

Replies

• fergmelk
    fergmelk Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm a single mom and I work full time, with a 3 y.o. at home.

However, I'm fortunate enough to live in an urban area, so I can bike to/from work. 10.5 miles each way, 21 round trip... approx 100 minutes on the bike daily. I haul the kiddo to daycare in a trailer and leave the trailer in their stroller room for the day.

I've also had a modicum of success with pushing him in the jogger. The bonus is that he gets to grow up thinking exercise is a part of daily life. It's just something you DO.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Is it a matter of leaving them with a baby sitter that's bothering you or just not playing with them that makes you feel like you're neglecting them?

I think (just my opinion) that it's more of an issue with women than with men. The way I look at it is by me being healthy and doing what I do it will prolong me being around for my kid. I have a 3 year old as well... When you became that parent it's so easy to stop worrying about yourself and just worry about the kid, but that's not good for either of you. We as parents need to be as healthy as we can just to keep up with the little balls of energy.

So I guess my answer to your question is I just take the time to do what I'm going to do and know that it's the best thing for me and for him in the long run.
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    That's what I was going to say. Uphill stroller jogging is an AWESOME workout.
  • learning2bfit
    learning2bfit Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Now that the weather is getting nice; we're all heading out for a jog! starting today!!! woooooooohooooooooo!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym during my lunch hour during the week (30 min cardio 25 weights). After work and on weekends...I play in the yard with my daughter and our dogs...soccer, t-ball, tag...ect. We also do some workout videos together (yoga and belly dance mainly). My daughter is 6 but this should work well with your 3 year old.
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom working full time with a hour (each way) commute...and it isn't easy at all. And in all honesty I don't do it everyday. I am lucky my gym offers free child care for the two younger ones and my oldest has her own membership. It is hard on the pocketbook but worth it. The kids love the kids club and my oldest would rather read than be active but she swims in the pool. If it is a day I can't make it to the gym for a class sometimes I use the treadmill after the younger ones are in bed...but I hate walking on a treadmill so I don't do that often. But I am often too "tired" to want to do anything and seriously have to Fight myself to do it. I am waiting for the day I have more energy and look forward to it....I hope it comes soon!
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    I do it after my 3y/o is in bed. Exercise has become my "me" time.
  • oAngieMaeo
    Options
    I'm a SAHM. So I do have it a little easier. But I try and have some "me time" when my husband is home and go for a walk by myself, where I can walk as fast as I want and dont have to push a stroller. Also, like BetterVersion. Bedtime is me time as well and set up time to do it then.
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    It's very hard....I'm a single mom of 3. Once I get home from work, feed kids, gives baths, clean house, and do laundry.....I'm exhausted and it's time for bed. I hardly get time to workout alone. When the weather is nice I do take the kids for a walk or what have you.
  • beckamarie
    Options
    It is very hard. I have children the same ages as yours... almost 3 and 5 mo... I have broken down and I run 3 days a week at lunch. I have a 45 min lunch period and no showers and I work is a business casual environment so it is not convenient. BUT it is working for me and it's the only way I can do it. I get up at 4:15 a.m. as it is to get them dropped at the sitter and be at work by 7 a.m. so mornings are out. I work 4/ 10 hr days so evenings are out too.

I throw on my running clothes, pound out 3 miles and change back quickly and use ample body spray. :) (thank you Bath & Body Works)

I have found it has been so rewarding and a great stress reliever.

On Sunday mornings when the baby goes down for a morning nap, I leave the hubby with the 3 yr old and grab a longer run.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have a four year old who loves taking part with mommy in her activities and helping her eat healthier. I think if I was doing this all on my own and leaving my little guy behind, I'd be feeling pretty guily too, but this just gives us one more thing to do together, plus it's showing him great habits to build for the future. We work out with the wii and he pushes me with "great job, mommy!" and "you did it!". And he really enjoys spinning the salad for me, as well as testing vegetables for me to make sure they taste "extra good". My little guy pushes me to excel.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I get up early and do it while everyone is sleeping. I also have a magical husband who takes over for me when I work out at night, and I take my 10-year old on runs with me... but he is older so it's much easier!!

I think it's just about finding what works best for you. Balance in all things is difficult to achieve!
  • JsGordita
    JsGordita Posts: 70
    Options
    I am a SAHM with a 3yr. old and an 8mo. old, so i don't have the issue with working but i get up and do 30min. before they wake up on my stationary bike (i can't do it when the baby is up she tries to grab my feet and if i put her in her jumper she screams at me because she likes to be on the floor) and i also try to do 30. min after they go to sleep, but i also like to take them for walks most days and another good one is i turn on the radio with some of our favorite songs and we dance around the living room, they laugh and dance( i hold the baby and dance) they both love it.
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    It's very hard....I'm a single mom of 3. Once I get home from work, feed kids, gives baths, clean house, and do laundry.....I'm exhausted and it's time for bed. I hardly get time to workout alone. When the weather is nice I do take the kids for a walk or what have you.

so how have you managed to lose 17 lbs?
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of 3: 6 yrs, 2 1/2 yrs, and 15 months--and my middle child is disabled. I work full time, and my husband travels for a week and a half at a time, and sometimes isn't home for more than a few days at a time so a lot of the time I am a single mom. I have the same dilemma. I AM NOT a morning person, and I already have to get up at 5:30 to make it to work on time. I've tried and tried to get up and do a workout video in the mornings and it's just NOT happening. And by the time we've been to baseball practice, fixed dinner, had baths, and fought with the two younger kids to get in the bed, I am exhausted most of the time. When my youngest was getting to bed early, I could work out in the evenings because my 6 yr old does his own thing (or exercises with me) and my 2 1/2 yr old just sits and watches me and laughs (is that a sign??:smile: ). But about a month ago, my youngest decided she was going to change her schedule without asking me, and I can't get her in bed early anymore. Okay, now that I've rambled about my kid situation, here is my solution...I work at a hospital with a skywalk between the hospital and doctor's building. I walk on my break in the afternoon (I try to do it every day, but sometimes I miss a day here and there). I usually do 2 miles in 25 minutes. Then, if I'm able to pop in a video in the evenings (if my children cooperate), that's great, but I try not to feel super guilty if that doesn't work out. And now that the weather is getting to be nice, I hope to drag out my double stroller and my son's bike and walk at home in the afternoons (between ball practice and ball games and church and, well you get the picture...). Hope that helps. By the responses already on here, just know that you're not alone in your quest to find time to work out between work and taking care of kids. Best of luck!!!! :happy:
  • Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Options
    I'm a single mom and I work full time, with a 3 y.o. at home.

However, I'm fortunate enough to live in an urban area, so I can bike to/from work. 10.5 miles each way, 21 round trip... approx 100 minutes on the bike daily. I haul the kiddo to daycare in a trailer and leave the trailer in their stroller room for the day.

I've also had a modicum of success with pushing him in the jogger. The bonus is that he gets to grow up thinking exercise is a part of daily life. It's just something you DO.

That is so AMAZING! Great Job! I wish I could do that!
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    This may sound unreasonable, but I can remember when I had little kids (and I do it now with my grand babies!) I would take the kids to the park and play with them.
    You'd be surprised how many calories you can burn playing with little kids!

I can remember this experiment was done with a very strong football player and his toddler. He was to follow his toddler around ALL day to see if he could do it. I don't remember if he did it or not, all I remember is him saying how TIRED he got by following and doing everything his little kid did just for a few minutes!

So try taking the kids to the park every day when it's nice, after work. I know, bla. Probably feel like laying on the couch after work, but hey, the fresh air will pep you up. And all that running around with the kids will burn a ton of calories!

Good luck to you.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who posted ,but I also want to say that 30 min. a day is better than nothing, so if that's all you can squeeze in without killing yourself in the process, you're still doing good for yourself
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I am a mom of a 3 yo and a 6 mo. old and I work full time and I have the same dilema of wanting to spend as much time with my kids as I can. I switched my schedule at work to an earlier schedule (7-3:30). I walk/jog during my 30 minute lunch break and eat lunch at my desk. Thankfully I work in an enviornment that doesn't mind that I'm a little sweaty in the afternoons!

I am also fortunate that the daycare where my kids are has an awesome workout facility. So I go work out for 30 minutes at the daycare before picking up the kids and I'm still able to get the kids by 4:30-5pm and feel like I can get good quality time with them before they go to sleep.
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    no im glad im not the only one. maybe im using it as an excuse. but sometimes it is kind a hard. but i guess atleast 3-4 times aweek is better than nothing. and i don't like to leave them with a babysitter in the afternoon, bc they are with a babysitter all day. haha