Simple Hot Lunch Ideas

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
In the past, I was more successful when I kept my lunches simple. This was easy because I lived in Vegas and usually wanted cooler food like yogurt, cucumbers, salads, and sandwiches. I could make them fast, and eat within my calorie limit.

I've recently moved, and its much colder here. I find it difficult to plan hot food that is low in calorie and easy to prepare. I dont always have time to make a pot of soup and I hate to eat left overs because those are my dinner meals which are usually higher in calorie.

Any ideas for easty to make, simple, low calorie, tasty after being microwaved, hot lunches?

Replies

• xxslvrxwngsxx
    xxslvrxwngsxx Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I microwave oatmeal at work all the time (or make it with a Keurig machine). Mostly for Breakfast but you could eat it for lunch I guess LOL
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs with veggies
    Frozen brown rice, frozen broccoli, pre-cooked chicken breast
    Make a huge batch of soup once and freeze portions.
  • monika337
    Options
    I sometimes bring Crust-less quiche to work. You can make it relatively low calorie and you can mix it up by putting all different types of veggies in there. I also bring a side salad along to make it like a proper meal.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Pasta dishes. You may use skinny noodles or whole wheat pasta or soba . Be conservative with the cheeses. Mind your portions - so measure EVERYTHING. You may layer them in one to-go container, ready for the microwave or in separate baggies ready to assemble@ lunch.

Soups Any soup is mobile if you have a thermos.

Pizza sub/pizza Same as with the pasta. Choose a skinny pizza dough recipe or you could just use normal dough if your caloric goals allow - pre-bake@home. Assemble. Pack. Fire it up in the microwave@work.

Hot sandwiches I would choose dense breads similar to the artisan variety and because the lunches are hot, think panini type sandwiches with your meat and veggie selection. Assemble. Microwave@work. Burritos and quesadilla's fit into this category too

Nachos Choose or make healthy crisps. Pack cheese/meat/sauce separately/ Assemble/ Microwave.

Quiche You could alternate between flour/rice/root crop crusts

Stir fry You could pre-cook an assortment of veggies with the meat (or not) of your choosing. Freeze. Microwave@work.

EDIT: If you choose to prep it at home before going to work, then look into 'Lunch and Go' and Stainless Steel Bento Jars - They should keep your already hot lunches hot until lunch hour. Insulated lunch cooler bags should work too.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Lately, I have been buying the Campbells 100% natural soups. I try to watch the sodium. I like to aim for under 600. The chicken noodle is pretty good an decent on sodium (a little above 400) for a cup and I pair it with a Cutie (clementine) which are in season right now. I also like chicken or tuna salad on some toast....if that counts as "hot" to you :)
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Mix together 1 can of refried beans, 1.5 oz of low fat cheese (I like shredded Mexican blend) and about 1/2 cup salsa. Microwave for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted. Mix again and eat with 1 oz of baked Tostitos scoops. This amount of the bean mixture is enough for 3 lunches for me. It's delicious warm, healthy, filling, high fiber, and low cal.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Every Sunday I make a big pot of brown rice and I grill chicken or bake a pork tenderloin. And I make turkey chili. I buy Ziplock or Glad screw lid containers at the grocery store, portion out all my lunches and dinners. Throughout the week I can just dump one of those containers on a plate, microwave for a minute and there's a meal. I do the same with steamed broccoli or green beans.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Bumpity!
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a toaster at work, I love a good butterflied chicken breast half between two slices of toast, with lettuce, tomato and a little pesto. Just bring all the ingredients packed separately, then microwave the chicken breast, toast the bread, and shazam!
  • JS506
    JS506 Posts: 6
    Options
    Take a washed sweet potato to work. Poke a few holes in it with a fork/knife(I use plastic knife). Put it in the microwave for 3-5mins depending on size and enjoy. Also today for lunch I had steamed green beans I warmed up and threw in a can of tuna. I also added a tablespoon of hummus and mixed together. It's kinda like a casserole but much healthier and easy:) Super filling and low cal!

One of the easiest things I do is cook a few frozen chicken breast on the Goerge Forman grill(you can put seasoning on it when it's frozen and put it right on the grill:) Cook 5-9mins depending on size. Then cut up and take to work. Microwave and put it with some steamed veggies. I buy frozen and cook the night before 3 mins in Micro and put in container for work! You could bring honey mustard to dip it in. YUM!
  • sls1989
    sls1989 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cous cous is good because you only need to add boiling water, then just mix in some flavoured tin tuna and some baby spinach leaves. Or if you can organise yourself at the start of the week cook 2 different dishes eg stir fry, soup, curry and then you have a bit of variety and they will last in the fridge or freezer for you to mix it up a bit. Wraps with chicken/beef, tomato and baby spinach are yummy in sandwich toaster too.
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    If you can make it at home and pack it to go....
    try to boil some lean beef stew cubes ( fat removed) , or chicken breast, with a little onion, carrots, celery , ( any veggies you have left over in the fridge getting not-so-fresh and quinoa . Boil it, salt it, put some spices or fresh dill/parsley if you have. A big, hearty, healthy soup that can feel you up.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    This is what I did last night:

Take 4 tilapia filets and squeeze lemon juice onto them. Lightly salt them, crack pepper over them and bake at 350 degrees until cooked through.

Take a butternut squash and peel, remove seeds, cut into chunks. Boil until fork tender. Mash with a little salt and/or butter.

Take 2 heads tatsoi and a few handfuls of spinach (or all spinach, all tatsoi, other greens, etc). Heat a teaspoon or so of olive oil in a pan, add a chopped shallot and several chopped garlic cloves and let cook but not burn. Add washed greens (do not remove all water) and cover. After it's steamed/sauteed a bit, remove the cover, stir, cover again until cooked as desired (some like theirs just barely wilted, I like my spinach like that but my tatsoi more cooked).

I put 1 filet, a scoop of greens and a scoop of squash into a 2c pyrex dish and that's lunch for each day. Tilapia, at least in my experience, doesn't smell much at all when you microwave it so it's more office friendly than other fish. I also pair it with a sweet potato and roasted asparagus, rice and roasted green beans, couscous and steamed broccoli, etc.

ETA: If you're lazy, unmotivated or pressed for time, most grocery stores sell the squash ready to cook (peeled, seeded and cubed) and sell spinach pre-washed.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If you can make it at home and pack it to go....
    try to boil some lean beef stew cubes ( fat removed) , or chicken breast, with a little onion, carrots, celery , ( any veggies you have left over in the fridge getting not-so-fresh and quinoa . Boil it, salt it, put some spices or fresh dill/parsley if you have. A big, hearty, healthy soup that can feel you up.

Love me some perverted soup.
  • chelkins16
    chelkins16 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump