New and have a few questions

Options
I just signed up Saturday with MFP. I am really excited. I am confused on a few things. 1. I seem to keep going over the amount of protein allocated to me daily but have yet to hit my allocated calories per day. Is this going to present a problem? And 2. I bought a pedometer the other day, do I count the calories that the pedometer tells me I have burned throughout the day as exercise? I do log my time walking/running (more walking) on the treadmill. Any advice would help! I am so tired of fad diets. I want to get this right this go round.

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i dont see a problem with too much protien... that and fiber are both really good for you, especially when trying to lose weight...

and for me, personally, i wouldnt log the normal calories you burn during the day...
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    fiber & protein numbers on here are more like minimums. going over is something you SHOULD do!

Exercise. a pedometer is NOT an hrm. I would cound your actual exercise time.
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Diets really don't work, needs to be a lifestyle change. I wouldn't worry about Protein. I never go by what MFP had set up for me. I just try to keep my protein close to the carbs. As for exercise, I would probably only log if you go for a walk or some other exercise, but not the calories through the day. Then it's up to you if you want to eat them back. I personally don't, but others do. It's a personal choice. Welcome, good luck and healthy eating.
  • Gannet72
    Options
    As the other woman responded, you really can't have too much protein. But if you want to change your "requirements" you can do so. You don't have to go by what they recommend. I changed mine to reduce the carbs and increase the protein, and also adjusted the daily calorie intake to better suit my needs.

I also wear a pedometer but don't count the "just walking around" time/calories. It's more informational for me. If I go for a fast-paced walk however, I DO count the calories burned for that. Hope this helps!

Stay strong and good luck! :)
  • kerock37
    kerock37 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. I do own a hrm that I use when I exercise. I will be returning the pedometer. I will also be eating more protein. I did think that was odd that I was to eat more carbs vs. protein. I am determined to get it right this go round :smile: