Planet Fitness or LA Fitness

Options
pg3ibew
pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
The wife and I belong to Planet Fitness. We are looking to possibly switch over to LA Fitness.

We signed up for a 3 day pass to LA Fitness and went tonight for the first night. Seems like a great place. Especially like the pool, Suana and basketball courts. Wife like the idea of all the classes.

Price is 39.99 per person, per month at LA Fitness as oppsed to 10 bucks a month, per person at Planet Fitness.

Any thoghts?

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I've belonged to LA fitness and been satisfied, though I have heard other people have had problems cancelling their memberships; I can't really speak to that.

I have not been a member of Planet Fitness. Based on what I've seen other people say, though, I get the impression that Planet doesn't offer the same versatility that LA fitness has in terms of machines or free weight options.

I guess it depends on what kind of exercising you like doing and/or what you plan on doing in the future.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness does not have free weights, and very strict rules limiting what you can and can't do for exercise. It's more or less a place you only go to if you want to use cardio equipment and that's it.
  • kbbauchle
    kbbauchle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't belong to either but I have been enjoying a 1 month free membership to LA Fitness. I have thoroughly enjoyed the classes! I do belong to Anytime Fitness and really wish they would offer more classes (and longer ones as they are only 30 minutes long). Just remember.......you get what you pay for! $10 a month is a red flag for me.
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    Planet Fitness does not have free weights, and very strict rules limiting what you can and can't do for exercise. It's more or less a place you only go to if you want to use cardio equipment and that's it.

We are not big on the free weights. We use the machines alot. LA Fitness was loaded with free weights.

As far as STRICT rules at Planet, I haven't really seen any RULES at our Planet fitness.
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    I don't belong to either but I have been enjoying a 1 month free membership to LA Fitness. I have thoroughly enjoyed the classes! I do belong to Anytime Fitness and really wish they would offer more classes (and longer ones as they are only 30 minutes long). Just remember.......you get what you pay for! $10 a month is a red flag for me.

How did you swing a FREE one month membership? We got a 3 day free and the guy was trying to pressure us into joining the first night.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Make sure they are giving you the club only membership unless you want to work out at different clubs in your area or in the country. I found out that they have an option for around 25 bucks to only work out at my club. I switched over after some serious flirting with the manager.
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    Make sure they are giving you the club only membership unless you want to work out at different clubs in your area or in the country. I found out that they have an option for around 25 bucks to only work out at my club. I switched over after some serious flirting with the manager.

I didn't know that was an option. Thanks, I will look into that.
  • fence32
    Options
    I think each Planet Fitness is different. Ours has cardio machines, weight machines, free weights, circuit room, and another area with mats/balls. Mine is also open 24/7. I looked at several different gyms before I decided on PF.
  • pg3ibew
    Options
    I think each Planet Fitness is different. Ours has cardio machines, weight machines, free weights, circuit room, and another area with mats/balls. Mine is also open 24/7. I looked at several different gyms before I decided on PF.

Mine is the same except for the balls.

LA Fitness is open from 4 am until midnight.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm quite satisfied with my planet fitness membership. I actually got a non-cancellable one year membership for ninety bucks total last summer! My local PF is very clean, including the locker room (the ladies' at least). It has cardio equipment, Cybex resistance equipment, a "circuit" area similar to Curves, and a free weight area. There is a small area with mats for floor exercise and stretching. There are no classes offered. I guess it depends on your priorities and what you want to spend.