Hello, I'm new here, looking for weight-loss pals :)

Options
Hi, I'm Stefanie, I'm 32, and I live in Salem, Oregon. My new year's resolution for 2013 is to keep at least 50% of my new year's resolutions. :) So far, I have about 6 of them, so I'm shooting for 3. Reaching my goal weight is numero uno and the one I plan on keeping the most this time.

I'm single, I have a 13 y/o wonderful son who's starting to do his own thing now, and I'm starting to feel like my life is passing me by. I've steadily gained weight since the age of 19, but I've really ballooned up in the last 2 years. (I quit smoking a year and a half ago, and that didn’t help :) )

I have tons of reasons for why I *want* to lose this weight once and for all (even the emotional crap, lol) but I will only bore you today with the reasons why I *need* to do this, the health reasons…

I have plantar fasciitis, which occurs when the thick band of tissue on the bottom of the foot is overstretched or overused - this can be painful and make walking more difficult, for those who don’t know. My son likes to tease me about it because it’s funny sounding, I guess. :) But in reality, it’s very painful. I have it in both feet, and when I get up in the mornings, I can barely even walk. It usually gets better as the day goes on, but gets worse again if I’m on my feet too much. My doctor believes mine is directly attributed to my weight gain, and will get better, and possibly even disappear, with extreme weight loss.

I also have heartburn and acid reflux, which continues to get worse with every pound I gain, therefore, my typical daily dosage of heartburn medicine keeps increasing.

And just recently, I started to believe I may quite possibly have sleep apnea and type 2 diabetes. Both scare me, and even though I have health insurance, I don’t want to go to the doctor to find out. I know that both can be cured with weight loss and just the idea that I may have these things (I’ve done my own research, checked my ‘symptoms,’ talked with family members who have them…) has made me want to start *this*, what I would call my most determined, serious weight-loss effort thus far.

I have about 152 pounds to lose to reach my goal weight, and I’d really, really like to reach it by the end of 2013. I know that’s asking a lot (an average of 2.8 pounds a week) but I would love nothing more than to NOT have weight-loss on my new year’s resolutions list for 2014 (for the first time since 1998!). I’m not waiting until Jan. 1st to start, though – I’m starting tomorrow (12/18/12) because I don’t want to waste a single day.

Please add me if you’d like! I plan on logging *every* meal and could use the support – I am also looking forward to *giving* support! Thanks for reading! :)

Replies

• dtlam76
    dtlam76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    greetings stephanie, I'm relatively new here myself. feel free to add me if you like. goals are reached one day at a time. Thats awesome that your planning to loose it through out the year instead of some unrealistic time frame like two or three months. I wish you the best of luck.
  • kishawo
    Options
    hello ms stefanie i absolutely understand where your coming from when it comes to having goals and just desiring to see the best you, i absolutely wish you the very best i have been on here for about 3 months and i have lost 15 pounds so far it takes a great deal of time and patience with yourself because we as humans just have to realize our bodies are different and we did not get to this place over night. I also had a health scare that allowed me to push myself and say i am tired of being this way i am going on 33 and i want to feel and look the best me i can. so congrats on your first step you are going to do well please feel free to add me as a friend. I know with support we all can make a change.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! Feel free to add :) 30YOF
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Hello. First off you joined MFP so grats. Secondly feel free to add me. I log on multiple times a day and will support you.
  • pattydi
    pattydi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Honey, You are such a beautiful young woman,.. I have had every single thing that you listed... I started MFP last year right after the new year.. I have lost over 100 pounds, I no longer have high blood pressure, high blood suger, acid reflux or problems with my feet. In fact I stopped getting bad heart burn almost immediately after I changed my eating habits.. It just dissappeared.. like magic.. and I eat a ton of spicy foods every single day.. cayenne pepper is my main food spice of choice....I cut out all added sodium and mainly eat clean about 80% of the time.. once in awhile I sneak in a bite of some processed stuff.. but very rarely... the only thing I will eat out of a tin can is tuna fish.. lots of fresh veggies and fruits.. and whole grains..I work for McDonald's as a GM, so you can imagine that I had to work extra hard at disciplining myself. It's a long journey.. but it's one day at a time.. one pound at a time.. and it is possible! Please feel free to add me if you'd like.. I'm not an expert by any means.. I did this by trial and error.. and am still on this journey for ever.. It's all about small steps... good clean food, and exercise.. You have to set those small goals and go for it! Don't look at it like all those stupid weight loss clinics say... " lose all the weight you want for just $1 a pound."... THere isn't an end to this lifestyle change,.. You can't look at it like your going to loose 100 pounds and then poof... it's over.. It is never over.. and if we all go back to our old eating habits.. the weight will just pile back on! stay strong sweety.. welcome to MFP.. It's an amazing place to be and the people you meet here are so supportive.. Good luck to you! :happy:
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great tool to help you on your way and supportive friends here is another important tool. Good luck on your journey! Feel free to add me .
  • caz83r
    caz83r Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am new too, my name is Caroline and im from Sydney Australia.
    I have a 5 month old daughter and i am wanting to get a bit fitter and loose some weight. I am just about to start the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred workout and i have friends who have had great results, so i am hoping it works for me too.
    I am wanting to loose 10kg (22lb).
    If anyone else out there is about to start the 30 Day Shred too, i would love to buddy up and see how we go!
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. it's a great place to meet others who can support you through the weight loss process. I'll send a friend request.
  • Invictus195
    Options
    Good Luck!!! New positive fun loving friends are always welcome!
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I have the foot thing too!!! OMG it hurts to get out of bed doesn't it? But I have found losing some weight.........its almost gone! Good news! Add me if you want! Always looking for more people to make this a fun place!!
  • springhope99
    Options
    greetings stephanie, I'm relatively new here myself. feel free to add me if you like. goals are reached one day at a time. Thats awesome that your planning to loose it through out the year instead of some unrealistic time frame like two or three months. I wish you the best of luck.
    I've used those unrealistic timeframes too many times, and look where it's gotten me, lol. I think I've finally learned that the best way to do it is the slow and steady way. Thanks for your support! :)
    hello ms stefanie i absolutely understand where your coming from when it comes to having goals and just desiring to see the best you, i absolutely wish you the very best i have been on here for about 3 months and i have lost 15 pounds so far it takes a great deal of time and patience with yourself because we as humans just have to realize our bodies are different and we did not get to this place over night. I also had a health scare that allowed me to push myself and say i am tired of being this way i am going on 33 and i want to feel and look the best me i can. so congrats on your first step you are going to do well please feel free to add me as a friend. I know with support we all can make a change.
    Thank you and congrats on your success so far! :)
    Welcome and good luck! Feel free to add :) 30YOF
    Thank you!
    Hello. First off you joined MFP so grats. Secondly feel free to add me. I log on multiple times a day and will support you.
    Thanks, I will! :)
    Honey, You are such a beautiful young woman,.. I have had every single thing that you listed... I started MFP last year right after the new year.. I have lost over 100 pounds, I no longer have high blood pressure, high blood suger, acid reflux or problems with my feet. In fact I stopped getting bad heart burn almost immediately after I changed my eating habits.. It just dissappeared.. like magic.. and I eat a ton of spicy foods every single day.. cayenne pepper is my main food spice of choice....I cut out all added sodium and mainly eat clean about 80% of the time.. once in awhile I sneak in a bite of some processed stuff.. but very rarely... the only thing I will eat out of a tin can is tuna fish.. lots of fresh veggies and fruits.. and whole grains..I work for McDonald's as a GM, so you can imagine that I had to work extra hard at disciplining myself. It's a long journey.. but it's one day at a time.. one pound at a time.. and it is possible! Please feel free to add me if you'd like.. I'm not an expert by any means.. I did this by trial and error.. and am still on this journey for ever.. It's all about small steps... good clean food, and exercise.. You have to set those small goals and go for it! Don't look at it like all those stupid weight loss clinics say... " lose all the weight you want for just $1 a pound."... THere isn't an end to this lifestyle change,.. You can't look at it like your going to loose 100 pounds and then poof... it's over.. It is never over.. and if we all go back to our old eating habits.. the weight will just pile back on! stay strong sweety.. welcome to MFP.. It's an amazing place to be and the people you meet here are so supportive.. Good luck to you!
    Thank you very much! Your story is very inspirational ~ Congratulations on your success!! :)
    MFP is a great tool to help you on your way and supportive friends here is another important tool. Good luck on your journey! Feel free to add me .
    Thanks for the support!
    Hi,
    I am new too, my name is Caroline and im from Sydney Australia.
    I have a 5 month old daughter and i am wanting to get a bit fitter and loose some weight. I am just about to start the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred workout and i have friends who have had great results, so i am hoping it works for me too.
    I am wanting to loose 10kg (22lb).
    If anyone else out there is about to start the 30 Day Shred too, i would love to buddy up and see how we go!
    Good luck with your workouts!!! :)
    Welcome to MFP. it's a great place to meet others who can support you through the weight loss process. I'll send a friend request.
    Thanks a lot! :)
    Good Luck!!! New positive fun loving friends are always welcome!
    Thank you!!
    Welcome!! I have the foot thing too!!! OMG it hurts to get out of bed doesn't it? But I have found losing some weight.........its almost gone! Good news! Add me if you want! Always looking for more people to make this a fun place!!
    It does hurt so bad, and I know that the more I lose, the better it will get, so that is very motivating! Thanks for the support! :)