What in the world do you do with the other half?!?!

Options
I oftentimes see in people's diaries (both on here and in other media places) that they log .5 of a banana or .5 of an apple.
If you are one of these people...what do you do with the other half of the fruit? I have always been curious...

I'm not calling anyone out or saying anything against only half servings of fruit. If I had the will power to only eat half a banana I probably would too. Do they stay fresh? Can I do this? How do you store it? I have always assumed that they would go bad if unpeeled. I don't have a dog. So that's out of the question.

Anywho, just curious.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I split it with my husband or leave it for later. I have a little tupperware thing made especially for cut apples or onions (strange but true). If you break the banana in half and leave half in the peel it doesn't brown except sometimes just the open end, which you can break off (I feed those bits to my chickens).

If my diary were open you'd also see lots of half hamburgers and half ruebens on my diet. My husband go out for lunch all the time and ALWAYS split a meal. I used to feel lousy in the afternoon and realized it was on days I ate out. I was eating too much. Now I only eat half and really enjoy it.
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    LOL, I regularly eat half or even a quarter of something, I'm a lazy cook so I either store the veggies I just made it the freezer or I give it to my bf.

Bananas are tricky because they go brown and mushy so quickly, but the other fruits are pretty easy to save for later.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I split it with my husband or leave it for later. I have a little tupperware thing made especially for cut apples or onions (strange but true). If you break the banana in half and leave half in the peel it doesn't brown except sometimes just the open end, which you can break off (I feed those bits to my chickens).

If my diary were open you'd also see lots of half hamburgers and half ruebens on my diet. My husband go out for lunch all the time and ALWAYS split a meal. I used to feel lousy in the afternoon and realized it was on days I ate out. I was eating too much. Now I only eat half and really enjoy it.

This! Sometimes it gets thrown away if it starts to look bad ( talking about a banana here).
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Half a banana - I usually would freeze it for a smoothie later. Half an apple - I don't think so. I'd eat the whole thing.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I had a client who would only want part of a banana and we would just cut it with the peel and then the next day cut it again but cut off the part that is exposed to the air. Personally if I log half of a fruit serving like half of a banana or apple.. I shared it with my son or granddaughter.
  • luv2bfitandhealthy
    Options
    I always freeze my 1/2 of banana. They freeze perfectly and make my smoothies extra cold and creamy.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Extras..either save for later or share with the hamsters and turtle.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    that's a good question. i was putting 1/2 banana and 1/2 an apple in my smoothie and eating the other halves at work. But then I just started putting the whole thing in because the apples turn brown and the banana got all mushy! Sorry, I edidn't answer your question.
  • SweetSailor
    SweetSailor Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I also am guilty of half a piece of fruit, a quarter cup of yogurt, etc. A squeeze of lemon helps some things from turning brown and I always leave the pit in an avocado if I just take a portion. Also, a refrigerator is useful.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    With bananas I just cut them in half and pop the other half in the fridge to use later. Goes a little brown but it doesn't really bother me that much. If it gets really bad I just chop off the brown bit and eat the rest.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I eat all the halves.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Generally the only 1/2 fruit I eat is a banana. I'll put half of it on my cereal today and either save the other half for tomorrow's cereal or give the other half to my daughter for part of her breakfast.

Any other 1/2 fruit had something wrong about it and I tossed half of it, but that would be the only reason I'd eat half of an apple or a pear or something...
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I know sometimes Ill log half a banana, because my 2 yr old bugs me for some, so i just break her off half
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I will share it with my 6 year old...to bad he gets all the mac&cheese cup....
  • curds
    curds Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    oh, brownish mushy bananas are really great for baking by the way, you can make fritters, banana loaf and muffins with it.
  • Toya2xcel
    Toya2xcel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do log half a banana too, I give the other half to my 2 year old daughter who LOVES bananas!
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    If I only have half a banana or apple I usually split it with my dogs. They really like the bananas. My husband and I usually split desserts and if we go out and eat I put half in a to go box for later (usually my husband ends up eating my leftovers).
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It depends on half of what...1/2 of 100 grams of banana might be exactly the size of one of those little ones. I usually weigh my food and try to find something in either one gram or 100 grams on the database because the math is easier that way but it's not usually exactly 1 gram or 100 grams so I have to adjust to a percentage (or fraction). Sometimes I really only do want 1/2 of a piece of fruit-maybe that's all that fits into my macros that day or maybe I want two kinds of fruit but not a whole one of each. In that case, I either share with my dog-who LOVES bananas especially, or my husband who starts his day off with a calorie budget almost 700 higher than mine and 1/2 a banana is great on his hot cereal.

Lots of ways it works out, but I can see how you'd wonder.

Barb
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I just cut half a bananas off without even removing it from the bunch. When I'm ready for the other half, I just slice off the brown exposed end and peel and the rest is fine. With apples I cut in half and put the other half in a ziploc in the fridge, them I slice a thin layer of the brown exposed side off and eat the rest. I don't think I halve anything else.
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If I have a big apple I cut it in half and put it in a baggie with a lemon slice. Seems to keep well till I'm ready for it. If bananas are large I cut in half and when I'm ready for the other half I just slice off the end a little. Thinking I'm going to try putting lemon in a baggie with my banana to see if that works.