What in the world do you do with the other half?!?!

Options

Replies

• LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I always have half a banana with cereal or oatmeal because a whole one is too much. Cut it in half with skin still on, saran wrap the end, perfectly fine to eat later.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes eat half of a banana in the morning and then the other half at night.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Half a banana, I eat later or hubby eats it, or sometimes I eat it the next day - just trim the thin slice off of the end that was "open" and it's good to go. Apples I often eat half because the other half went in my kiddo's lunch box. :bigsmile:
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    When I log 1/2 an apple, I cut it and store the unused portion tightly with a plastic bag(the bag I rinse out and re-use also)-no air on the cut side of the apple.
    I also split portions with my Fiance. tonight I had a thin slice of a piece of cake, but my Steve had the "larger" portion.

If I eat alone ie...frozen pizza once a week, then I actually take the time to cut the pizza in 1/2 while FROZEN. Then I only cook 1/2 and store the rest in the freezer in a re-usable plastic bag!

Who would know portions and food can be portioned like that! hahahaha!!!:smile: , :wink:
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I share too. Every morning I have to pack a whole food for my child's snack which is often 1/2 of something, I cut the rest DH comes along and eats 1/2 that so I am left with 1/4...sounds like a story problem. Also with fruits/veggies part has gone bad but the test is fine. But sharing w/my child ofte accounts for partial portions.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I will douse the cut half of an apple in lemon juice and put it in a tupperware container in the refrigerator until I want it. Keeps it from browning. Same thing with avocados, and most other fruit that browns. I generally eat whole bananas.
  • jellybird
    jellybird Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    LOL - I usually put half in my son's lunch.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Lol, I share it with my children. Sometimes I even log .25 of an apple because we share it in slices and I have a couple slices.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My kiddos steal the other half....LOL
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I oftentimes see in people's diaries (both on here and in other media places) that they log .5 of a banana or .5 of an apple.
    If you are one of these people...what do you do with the other half of the fruit? I have always been curious...

I'm not calling anyone out or saying anything against only half servings of fruit. If I had the will power to only eat half a banana I probably would too. Do they stay fresh? Can I do this? How do you store it? I have always assumed that they would go bad if unpeeled. I don't have a dog. So that's out of the question.

Anywho, just curious.

I share with my dogs.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Either share with one of my kids or I go by the weight of it and find a corresponding entry in the database.
  • Jennhasfaith
    Jennhasfaith Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Ok, whenever I eat half of something, and save the other half I sprinkle a little bit of lemon juice over it. The lemon juice prevents the fruit item to go bad before it gets way to bad.

Or wrap it well with plastic wrap or baggie, squeeze out the air!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

I share with my dogs.
    I do share with my rat terrier - she loves fruit and begs for it, especially apples & bananas!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I had a client who would only want part of a banana and we would just cut it with the peel and then the next day cut it again but cut off the part that is exposed to the air. Personally if I log half of a fruit serving like half of a banana or apple.. I shared it with my son or granddaughter.

That's exactly what I do....only the exposed part gets brown. I just cut that off and then peel the next half.
  • Kid or husband has the other half.
  • llaskoske
    llaskoske Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Eat it the next day.
  • SLRamirez2012
    Options
    Usually one of my daughters eats it.
  • cwettstain
    cwettstain Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My stinkin' scavenging kids usually snag half of whatever fruit I'm having at the moment. I'd get angry at them but it's better than them chowing on candy...
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    My partials are usually due to me eating my daughter's leftover's.....apple slices from McDonalds, french fries, the fruit she doesn't like in the chik-fil-a fruit cup, etc. We don't eat much fast food, but I do get it as a treat for the kids. On those days, I'll usually just grab a sandwich for myself and split a small fry with my daughter because neither of us needs a full serving (no I'm not starving her, she eats nuggets with fruit).
  • smitty24
    Options
    Either share it with someone or depending on it's size - (ie. if it's smaller than usual) I'll enter 0.5.

Just to be more accurate.