Looking for new Gluten-Free friends!

Options
I'm not new, but I'm about to be pretty new at gluten-free (or low gluten, at the very least.) My roommate (who eats with us - we all prepare food together and eat the same thing to save food cost) has to move to a gluten free diet shortly (basically once all the gluten is out of our kitchen.)

That being said, I would love to have some friends who are already gluten free and can help direct me to some of the better tasting gluten free alternatives or give specific support when we have gluten issues :happy:

I would definitely prefer folks who are on every day and active. Also, just fair warning, I often forget about putting my "maybe you shouldn't say that publicly" mental filter to use, so if you're easily offended ... wellll ... I might not be the best option :laugh:

Please, help me make this transition as smooth as possible!

Replies

• Taimarra
    Options
    Really? Nobody's gluten free? Darn, that's a bummer :sad:
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey!! My husband is gluten free - has been for 2 and a half years now :) I do the cooking so I would love to help in any way that I can!!
  • CyanideCyster
    Options
    Day 1 of gluten free here. Fed up of getting soooo bloated even when ive barely eaten. Noticing a difference already!
  • LaciWicker
    Options
    I'm just starting to go Gluten-free myself. My doctor thinks I might have a gluten allergy that is causing a lot of my many significant mystery health issues. Anyone have any advice for me? Anyone have any good effects from going gluten free? I'm very curious myself. Feel free to add me if you want, I'm an active MFP member. I've only not logged well today because I'm sick with the flu, and frankly care scale is at almost 0 as far as logging goes. Too sick to care today.
  • C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten-free-ish for just under a year, meaning that there are times that I cheat and feel the effects the next day. Some days (and social settings) are easier than others. For me, it's a day-by-day effort.
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There is a gluten-free group on here (it's just called gluten free) and everyone is great about answering questions. I've been gluten-free for just over a week and am finding it's not as hard as I thought (although I still get a little weepy when I think about pizza and beer!!)! Feel free to add me...I'm planning on trying lots of new recipes as I prefer homemade food. I did make my own all purpose flour mix so I can make a lot of the same things I've always made, but am starting to experiment with nut flours and other low carb options. Most the pre-made GF stuff seems to be over-priced, not that good and higher in calories. Feel free to add me...
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Im gluten free, have been for ten years. every once in a while i have slip ups and pay for it, but mostly ive grown super accustomed to it and so have my close friends and fam (my mom and one of my nieces are also GF). Add me, hopefully I could be some help to you!!
  • EasyKeeper8
    EasyKeeper8 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been gluten free for about a month. I am already feeling better (mentally clear and getting relief from fibrocystic breast pain) and have lost weight fairly easily - bonus!! I'd like to add some GF friends too for info/support/recipes. :)
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me to your friend list! I have been a faithful logger for over a year now, and I went gluten free on September 30. I'm still figuring things out and I have gotten a lot of support and advice from people here in the Gluten Free group.
  • C_Stretton
    C_Stretton Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    There is a gluten-free group on here (it's just called gluten free) and everyone is great about answering questions. I've been gluten-free for just over a week and am finding it's not as hard as I thought (although I still get a little weepy when I think about pizza and beer!!)! Feel free to add me...I'm planning on trying lots of new recipes as I prefer homemade food. I did make my own all purpose flour mix so I can make a lot of the same things I've always made, but am starting to experiment with nut flours and other low carb options. Most the pre-made GF stuff seems to be over-priced, not that good and higher in calories. Feel free to add me...

Brunehaut Amber gluten free beer is surprisingly good. It's a little pricey but totally worth it for those days that you just want a beer that tastes like beer.
  • myownadvice
    myownadvice Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am gluten-intolerant and have been gluten free for over a year now. Am happy to share my learning experiences and help where I can. I agree with others too that have mentioned the gluten-free group here on MFP. Lots of great advice there and plenty of resources to answer your questions.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    My husband is gluten intolerant due to a health issue. We've been working on eliminating gluten for several months, and I have some ideas. I'd be happy to share what we've learned. DH is not a celiac, so goofing up is not life threatening, but staying away from gluten definitely improves how he feels.
  • chatipati1
    chatipati1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My kid has celiacs..diagnosed 6 years ago. So she is totally gluten free, but I am the cook :) Feel free to add..but consulting your nutritionist could be helpful as well. I read a lot about gf on here and see some people are helpful...some mislead...
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options

We've tried gluten free pizza and need to try again. The crust we tried was not good. Gluten free beer is available in Oregon from Widmer Brothers. It is called Omission, and they have two varieties, a lager and a pale ale. One of the brothers is gluten intolerant, maybe celiac, but I"m not sure. They decided to make it because of him. I'm not sure in which other states their beer is available. There are other gluten free beers out there if you look, but this is the only one my husband likes.

Our grocer stocks frozen gluten free bread that is satisfactory. This includes hamburger buns. Most of the "fresh" we've tried is lacking in texture. There is also gluten free pasta available. We like Ancient Harvest quinoa and corn pasta. I'm sure others know a lot more about this than we do. Good luck.
  • Taimarra
    Options
    Wow!!! I can't believe how many friend requests I got today alone. Thank you all, and thanks for the link to the gluten-free group, that will really come in handy.