When to Add Exercise

Options
Hi everyone...
So I've been down the weight loss road so many times. The best one was in 2008 when I had finally accomplished my goal of losing 150+ lbs. Unfortunately I have gained the majority of it back. So I'm on here asking for some support and advice. I currently weight in at 253.2 lbs and I am wondering when to add in exercise. It seems too overwhelming to do anything extreme (and honestly the gym scares me - because I'm afraid I'll look ridiculous). I've tried walking routines before but they just don't keep me motivated. So anyway - enough excuses... Any recommendations are welcomed - I need to lose 120 lbs total, so I really need to get moving :-)

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Walk with a friend, or walk a friend's dog. It is great to walk along and talk about every little thing, and I look forward to walking with my friend. She brings her dog, and I bring mine. Sometimes we even bring our husbands. I think other kinds of group exercises can also be motivating. I'd suggest swimming but I personally hate to be cold and wet at the same time, and most pools around here are too cold for my comfort.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Start straight away, get a good trainer if you can afford it and get going. The road to goal weight can be long and hard, with some misteps along the way. Fitness, strength and performance goals can give you something else to focus on and other ways to measure your success. You might even find something that you love to do and are awesome at:)
  • jdubsmuscle
    Options
    Thanks! I will try the walking routine again - I know it's probably the best way to start... and maybe an exercise DVD. I've tried it before and haven't completed the whole thing... Can't afford a trainer yet, but hopefully soon :-) Thank you both for the support
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    The sooner, the better.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Find something you ENJOY doing. I love lifting weights and biking so that's my exercise. Do you like to swim? Play tennis? Basketball? Kayaking? Then do it. Don't know what you like? Try new things until you find something you like doing. If you're doing something you don't enjoy, it's not sustainable. Same goes for diet. If you're constantly hungry or eating things you don't like, you won't stick to it.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Find something you ENJOY doing. I love lifting weights and biking so that's my exercise. Do you like to swim? Play tennis? Basketball? Kayaking? Then do it. Don't know what you like? Try new things until you find something you like doing. If you're doing something you don't enjoy, it's not sustainable. Same goes for diet. If you're constantly hungry or eating things you don't like, you won't stick to it.

100% this!! The best exercise to do is the exercise you actually do!!!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    When to Add Exercise? Twenty minutes ago. Can you do much now? Maybe not, but ten steps is better than none. Tomorrow do 20 while carrying a filled water bottle in each hand. Add activity/weight sequentially.

And in 3 months, post your success pictures on "success stories."
  • HisangelG
    HisangelG Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Check out Sparkspeople.com for their exercise videos. They are quite good. I use the seated 11 minute cardio and the 20 minute resistance band ones right now. There are others also, and you could come up with your own routine. Resistance bands are well worth the expense. BodyLastics makes some of the best you will find. From my reading, it seems a stability ball is well worth the cost also. If you do some looking around, there are some good deals on the bands with the balls, but I personally started with the Bodylastic bands, and will buy the ball at a later date.

Don't forget to count the things you do each day. If you stand to cook, sweep, mop, vacuum, etc...count those calories. They are worth it. Even sitting to watch TV nm, reading, etc. I count those, then count my actual exercise.

If you can afford one, the Fitbit or the BodyMedia bands are worth while. I am saving money for the BodyMedia one, as it will serve my needs more than the Fitbit. Check out Amazon for the Heart Rate Monitors. They have good deals on them. It is simply the BodyMedia is what I need for short/long-term...otherwise, I'd consider the Polar ones they have.

You can use soup cans, or milk jugs for free weights to get started with strength training. Books also, of equal size/weight. Google for body weight exercises.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    zumba is fun. theres a lot of fitness videos on youtube. speaking of youtube i highly recommend fitnessblender they have tons of different types of videos for every exercise and level.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Try any of the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home dvds. She adds different steps/moves to make it not boring. You can do it in the comfort of your own home, so it is very convenient. You can buy them on Amazon for around $10---and there is quite the selection. They all seem to have good reviews. Good luck :)
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    youtube a cardio workout that interests you! zumba, hiit, circuit training etc
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...
    So I've been down the weight loss road so many times. The best one was in 2008 when I had finally accomplished my goal of losing 150+ lbs. Unfortunately I have gained the majority of it back. So I'm on here asking for some support and advice. I currently weight in at 253.2 lbs and I am wondering when to add in exercise. It seems too overwhelming to do anything extreme (and honestly the gym scares me - because I'm afraid I'll look ridiculous). I've tried walking routines before but they just don't keep me motivated. So anyway - enough excuses... Any recommendations are welcomed - I need to lose 120 lbs total, so I really need to get moving :-)
  • g0hard0rg0h0me00
    Options
    Yes, try to find something you enjoy! Force yourself to walk on lunch or both breaks at work if possible. Do exercise now, but start small! You can do it!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    yesterday
  • Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I cannot recommend 30DS or any of Jillian Michaels other DVD's enough! It's not even 30 mins a day and you will be amazed at the results you get from doing her workouts. I have never had such good results and I couldn't justify not doing just 30 mins a day. Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The sooner, the better.

this!

i have never been to a gym in my life, but i work out at home. i have a stepper, weights and DVDs. there are millions of things you can do for exercise thats more fun than walking, try some stuff, see what you like.
  • unnur16
    unnur16 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i started with my food and after around 6 weeks i had 100% control of my eating habits and then i started working out i work out jus in the gym but there is so many things you could do. Just remember all exercise even a little one is better then no exercise =) and good look on the way, you can do this =)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Why wait, unless you have some medical reason or physical disability?! Or maybe you would feel more comfy in the gym a bit lighter (I know a lot of ladies feel embarrassed when larger to go to the gym)...in which case you can start at home..walking fast, maybe running slowly...hey they key is to get that body moving and as soon as possible, it will thank you for it!
  • 4mydogs
    4mydogs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started at 317 pounds and I have now lost almost 40 pounds. First of all making the choice to be on MFP and be accountable is the first step. As for excercise, at first it will seem impossible but you will not believe how much stronger you will get and the best news is you don't need to belong to a gym or need a trainer. I started with some cardio just walking my dog outside for 30 mins a day, she is a wonderful training partner and now she expects at least a 40-50 min walk each day. I also feel weight training is important as well, mostly because it makes you feels great, you get stronger and changes your body. You can do squats, lunges, pushups against the wall. Fill milk jugs and do biceps, triceps, shoulders and back. Youtube, cable, sattelite all have great excercise videos for any level. Once I got myself to a very basic fitness level I hired a trainer and that is a whole other level for me of pushing myself. The short of it is you just need to get out and move your body each day and your weight loss results will be better and most importantly you will feel better and be healthier. Keep us posted!!
  • Asianaaaa
    Asianaaaa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I cannot recommend 30DS or any of Jillian Michaels other DVD's enough! It's not even 30 mins a day and you will be amazed at the results you get from doing her workouts. I have never had such good results and I couldn't justify not doing just 30 mins a day. Good luck!

I second that. I am currently doing JM's 30DS. I am still on Level 1 and will be doing Day 12 this evening and I have noticed a number of changes in my body. My stomach is getting flatter, my endurance level has gone up and I know this one is going to sound weird but shoulders seem to have shrunk! Lol! The 30DS workout is available free on YouTube so you can get started straight away if you are interested.

I am also doing C25K which is a running programme to get you off the couch and doing 5k in about 8-9 weeks. This is an app you download and install on your phone (but you probably already know this!) and the programme alternates between walking and running. So the first week you are doing 90secs of walking and then 60 secs of running then back to 90secs of walking, 60 secs of running, etc. The workout itself is 20 mins long only, 30 mins if you include warm up and cool down.

Would definitely recommend these two workouts to get yourself started :-)