New Study: Aerobic exercise best for fat loss

Options
13»

Replies

• rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    this so stupid in the end it all comes down to your diet !!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    hi Joe, (this is for Ninerbuff)

I read your response and recently have gotten into kickboxing. I tried it a few years ago and had to give it up after a badly broken ankle which resulted in a plate and two screws. I just reached my goal weight with MFP and have been exercising every day for about 6 mos now. I just got back into kickboxing (been doing on demand videos at home) and I took a class yesterday at LA boxing. I found it to be a bit boring but that could be just the instructor. Anyway, your credentials interested me and I was wondering if you could suggest some dvd's or something for me. I have a hard time getting to a gym now as I am working and caring for a parent with Alzheimers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine
    Honestly, the only DVD's I can barely stand are the TAE BO ones. At least Billy really works on it from a martials arts base and not too much dance.
    Also if you get a hold of one, Cathe Friedrich has a pretty good one I've done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    One thing to note is that aerobic exercise can increase Peptide YY which actually suppresses appetite. Something to consider as the calories were not controlled in the study..........as they are when you log you food on a site like...say, this one.

I don't see that happening long term. When you're ACTUALLY doing cardio, your appetite gets suppressed, but a few hours later? No.

Care to tell us where you got that information from?

Here is one to support my assertion if you care to do a bit of research:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12954742

"Caloric intake during a buffet lunch offered two hours after the infusion of PYY was decreased by 30 percent in the obese subjects (P<0.001) and 31 percent in the lean subjects (P<0.001). PYY infusion also caused a significant decrease in the cumulative 24-hour caloric intake in both obese and lean subjects. PYY infusion reduced plasma levels of the appetite-stimulatory hormone ghrelin."

Just because there is a study, it doesn't mean it's a good one. Studies are like term papers. The average grade is a C. I am not sure if you saw the study posted not to long about about how cardio is better for weight loss than resistance training. Would you believe that to be true? It's conditional. That study is on infusion of PYY. How much was infused? Also, how much is produced from exercise? Doesn't say.

I know you already know there are many studies out there that you don't find to be true. A few that come to mind is fat is bad, low carb is better for fat loss, things of that sort.

Remember there are 2 parts to success, 1 part is education the other part is experience. I am speaking directly from experience and common sense. If you ran a marathon(cardio) according to this PYY theory you wouldn't be hungry the next day, which obviously isn't true. I know from experience if I am hungry and I go do cardio, i won't be hungry anymore for a little while. After some time passes the appetite picks back up higher than normal.

How about rather than dismissing it out of hand you actually come up with something that supports your original statement, or come up with something that gives more insight as to why it is not a good one to use as an example of refuting your statement.

I did, go run your *kitten* and then tell me you're not hungry. Experience.

Why your study isn't good to use as an example? Because that study wasn't tested on exercise.

Nice deflection and reasoning...as usual.

ETA: as anecdotal samples of n=1 are so important. On the very rare occasions I do cardio - my appetite is suppressed and according to you, that is evidence that your statement is wrong. I am not sure however if what I do is 'running my *kitten*' as I am not sure what that is!
    I agree with you. After my 3:32 marathon in Nov my appetite was suppressed for two days.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    fat loss is great and it's why I'm eating at a deficit...but you have to replace it with something to actually look good with your shirt off. You can be skinny fat; I prefer lean and fit which would require both cardio and resistance training. Personally, I do cardio primarily for my heart health...I eat at a deficit to burn fat...I do resistance training to replace that fat with muscle.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Two do a study in a scientific manner, ONE variable should change. There was no real control groups and the calories etc were not counted.

As useful as a chocolate teapot.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    In my general experience, (and based on a lot of profile pictures) most men are going to be extremely disappointed if they pin all their hopes on lifting weights to make them "look better naked".

Just sayin'.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    In my general experience, (and based on a lot of profile pictures) most men are going to be extremely disappointed if they pin all their hopes on lifting weights to make them "look better naked".

Just sayin'.

Troll.

Go back under your bridge.
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    At age 60 I will continue to do both weight training and cardio. I want my bone density to remain strong and don't want a hip replacement and I want a strong heart with a resting pulse in the 50's and a Vo2max to remain in the 40's. I will control my weight by eating at or below my TDEE. Arguing one method over the other is a waste of time. Both are important.

I agree with this!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Strength training with a calorie deficit is the best way to look good naked.

Yes, agreed, and cardio on top of this will ensure a better calorie deficit than without.

so - do both.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't strength train for fat loss, do others?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options
    Nope, I strength train to maintain muscularity. I run to keep up a decent calorie deficit, control hunger and because now I have done it for a year or so I am starting to feel like I am running light - slow by anyone elses' standard - but hey!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Options

Just sayin'.

The "Troll" speaks truth <applause> :bigsmile:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    One thing to note is that aerobic exercise can increase Peptide YY which actually suppresses appetite. Something to consider as the calories were not controlled in the study..........as they are when you log you food on a site like...say, this one.

I don't see that happening long term. When you're ACTUALLY doing cardio, your appetite gets suppressed, but a few hours later? No.

Care to tell us where you got that information from?

Here is one to support my assertion if you care to do a bit of research:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12954742

"Caloric intake during a buffet lunch offered two hours after the infusion of PYY was decreased by 30 percent in the obese subjects (P<0.001) and 31 percent in the lean subjects (P<0.001). PYY infusion also caused a significant decrease in the cumulative 24-hour caloric intake in both obese and lean subjects. PYY infusion reduced plasma levels of the appetite-stimulatory hormone ghrelin."

Just because there is a study, it doesn't mean it's a good one. Studies are like term papers. The average grade is a C. I am not sure if you saw the study posted not to long about about how cardio is better for weight loss than resistance training. Would you believe that to be true? It's conditional. That study is on infusion of PYY. How much was infused? Also, how much is produced from exercise? Doesn't say.

I know you already know there are many studies out there that you don't find to be true. A few that come to mind is fat is bad, low carb is better for fat loss, things of that sort.

Remember there are 2 parts to success, 1 part is education the other part is experience. I am speaking directly from experience and common sense. If you ran a marathon(cardio) according to this PYY theory you wouldn't be hungry the next day, which obviously isn't true. I know from experience if I am hungry and I go do cardio, i won't be hungry anymore for a little while. After some time passes the appetite picks back up higher than normal.

How about rather than dismissing it out of hand you actually come up with something that supports your original statement, or come up with something that gives more insight as to why it is not a good one to use as an example of refuting your statement.

I did, go run your *kitten* and then tell me you're not hungry. Experience.

Why your study isn't good to use as an example? Because that study wasn't tested on exercise.

Nice deflection and reasoning...as usual.

ETA: as anecdotal samples of n=1 are so important. On the very rare occasions I do cardio - my appetite is suppressed and according to you, that is evidence that your statement is wrong. I am not sure however if what I do is 'running my *kitten*' as I am not sure what that is!
    I agree with you. After my 3:32 marathon in Nov my appetite was suppressed for two days.

I know you do a lot of running Scott, my question to you is, If you ate ad llib. do you think you would lose weight stay the same or gain weight? Keeping your current exercise program.
    With my current running program that averages 70 to 80 miles a week I tend to stay the same or gain slowly if I eat as I want without tracking calories. I have to watch the scale like everyone else and when I see it start creeping up for several weeks I go back to detailed calorie tracking for a while.

Running does suppress the appetite for a while but it does not suppress my liking for peanut butter and honey sanwiches and chocolate (although I have taken steps to control the chocolate excess)
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bump