Help me with my workout schedule?

Options
Well, recently I asked about help with bulking, and I received great help. I went and researched some exercises and mixed them into things I already do to try and create a weekly regimen for gaining muscle.

Just so everyone knows, I'm currently 60kgs (132lbs) with supposedly 10.8% body fat and 49.9 muscle mass (I can get a picture if you need one). I want to gain probably around 10-20lbs of muscle for now. I want to make it clear I don't want to get too bulky, just enough to have muscles. I dunno, celebrity wise probably google pictures of Chord Overstreet or Taylor Lautner and that's my goal body. I plan to do strength exercises 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I really love jogging but for now I'm going to reduce that to 0-2 times a week, but even then it will be HIIT training for a maximum of 30 minutes. I'm also doing insanity, and want to finish that, so I do that in the morning 6 days a week.

I'm going to shut up and give my plan, for now. If it's possible, I'd like some help with different exercises, more effective exercises, different body areas to focus on, or how to balance the days, etc. I've researched this so much individually I'd like an outside opinion. One thing I couldn't really find was how to structure a workout, but I think I was googling the wrong things. Thanks.

Monday - Abs, Obliques, Chest.

Jackknife Crossovers (3 sets of 10)
Crunch (3 sets of 10)
Corkscrews (3 sets of 10)
Russian Twists (3 sets of 10)
Body weight Hyper extension (3 sets of 10)
Body weight Leg Raise Oblique (3 sets of 10/15)
Crossover Crunch (3 sets of 10)

Body weight Pushups (3-4 sets of 10)
Barbell Bench Press (3-4 sets of heavy)
Lying Dumbbell Bench Press (3 sets of heavy)
Lying Dumbbell Fly (3 sets of heavy)

Wednesday - Legs

Barbell Squat (3-5 sets of heavy)
Machine Leg Curl (3-4 sets of heavy)
Machine Leg Extension (3-4 sets of heavy)
Leg Press (3-4 sets of heavy)
Calf Raise on Leg Press (3-4 sets of heavy)
Body weight Leg Press (3-5 sets of 10)
Machine Calf Raise (3-5 sets of 10) (I don't know the name but I think it's a machine you can also do squats on)

Friday - Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps, Back

Behind Neck Barbell Shoulder Press (3-4 sets of heavy)
Dumbbell Shoulder Press (3 sets of heavy)
Machine Shoulder Press (3 sets of heavy)
Dumbbell Fly (3 sets of heavy)
Lateral Pulldown (3 sets of heavy)
Standing Barbell Bicep Curl (3-4 sets of heavy)
Preacher Barbell Bicep Curl (3 sets of heavy)
Body weight Dip (3-5 sets of 10)
Seated Dumbbell Tricep Extension (3-4 sets of heavy)
Triceps Pushdown (3 sets of heavy)
Standing Facing Away Cable Triceps Extension (3-4 sets of heavy)

I don't think I'm making the best plan, but I don't know what's wrong. I'm thinking of moving some stuff to leg day, as that's pretty short. I'd just like all round help because I'm really new to trying to gain weight, as for the better part of two years I've been a cardio and low cal junkie.

Thank you for any and all help :)

Replies

• Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Your goals are identical to this :-

http://www.buildhealthymuscle.com/

I recommend this book http://www.buildhealthymuscle.com/books/bigger-leaner-stronger/

I am not associated with Mike I am just a happy customer who purchased the book and gained excellent results.
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Well, recently I asked about help with bulking, and I received great help. I went and researched some exercises and mixed them into things I already do to try and create a weekly regimen for gaining muscle.

Just so everyone knows, I'm currently 60kgs (132lbs) with supposedly 10.8% body fat and 49.9 muscle mass (I can get a picture if you need one). I want to gain probably around 10-20lbs of muscle for now. I want to make it clear I don't want to get too bulky, just enough to have muscles. I dunno, celebrity wise probably google pictures of Chord Overstreet or Taylor Lautner and that's my goal body. I plan to do strength exercises 3 days a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I really love jogging but for now I'm going to reduce that to 0-2 times a week, but even then it will be HIIT training for a maximum of 30 minutes. I'm also doing insanity, and want to finish that, so I do that in the morning 6 days a week.

I'm going to shut up and give my plan, for now. If it's possible, I'd like some help with different exercises, more effective exercises, different body areas to focus on, or how to balance the days, etc. I've researched this so much individually I'd like an outside opinion. One thing I couldn't really find was how to structure a workout, but I think I was googling the wrong things. Thanks.

Monday - Abs, Obliques, Chest.

Jackknife Crossovers (3 sets of 10)
    Crunch (3 sets of 10)
    Corkscrews (3 sets of 10)
    Russian Twists (3 sets of 10)
    Body weight Hyper extension (3 sets of 10)
    Body weight Leg Raise Oblique (3 sets of 10/15)
    Crossover Crunch (3 sets of 10)

Body weight Pushups (3-4 sets of 10)
    Barbell Bench Press (3-4 sets of heavy)
    Lying Dumbbell Bench Press (3 sets of heavy)
    Lying Dumbbell Fly (3 sets of heavy)

Wednesday - Legs

Barbell Squat (3-5 sets of heavy)
    Machine Leg Curl (3-4 sets of heavy)
    Machine Leg Extension (3-4 sets of heavy)
    Leg Press (3-4 sets of heavy)
    Calf Raise on Leg Press (3-4 sets of heavy)
    Body weight Leg Press (3-5 sets of 10)
    Machine Calf Raise (3-5 sets of 10) (I don't know the name but I think it's a machine you can also do squats on)

Behind Neck Barbell Shoulder Press (3-4 sets of heavy)
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press (3 sets of heavy)
    Machine Shoulder Press (3 sets of heavy)
    Dumbbell Fly (3 sets of heavy)
    Lateral Pulldown (3 sets of heavy)
    Standing Barbell Bicep Curl (3-4 sets of heavy)
    Preacher Barbell Bicep Curl (3 sets of heavy)
    Body weight Dip (3-5 sets of 10)
    Seated Dumbbell Tricep Extension (3-4 sets of heavy)
    Triceps Pushdown (3 sets of heavy)
    Standing Facing Away Cable Triceps Extension (3-4 sets of heavy)

I don't think I'm making the best plan, but I don't know what's wrong. I'm thinking of moving some stuff to leg day, as that's pretty short. I'd just like all round help because I'm really new to trying to gain weight, as for the better part of two years I've been a cardio and low cal junkie.

Thank you for any and all help :)

It seems you just threw all the exercises you can find into your routine, where is deadlifts by the way?

OP start off with something like All Pro's or Starting strength before attempting to build your own routine, these two will give you a great foundation and from there onwards you can start introducing isolation exercises to work on your weaker bodyparts after doing if for at least 6 - 12 months.

PM me if you want to discuss this in more detail
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i am by no means a fitness pro - but if you are doing strength 3x a week, then you can go full body each time - as there is rest between each session.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    When people say 'I don't wanna get too bulky' it really ****s me off that they don't clarify. Pardon my language.
    Do you mean :

4110b_ORIG-PhilHeath_MD_864JJ.jpg

or

Lazar-Angelov-Interview.jpg

or

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQnTo68d5jq6nUFZbLf9Uz-TAS-YhcXBUllwnBQebTWOnTuqcD7RQ&t=1
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear what others have to say, but I would skip the ab work, focus on compound lifts, like deadlifts, squats, bench, and barbell rows, where you can lift some serious weight. All these lifts will work your core good enough for bulking, and you will lose definition in a bulk anyway. You may want to check out bodybuilding.com, or T-nation. They have some good articles and routines that you can follow.
  • impojr
    impojr Posts: 52
    Options
    It seems you just threw all the exercises you can find into your routine, where is deadlifts by the way?

you caught me. Right now I'm a little scared of deadlifts, and was thinking of adding them in when I'm more confident.
  • dave4d
    Options

you caught me. Right now I'm a little scared of deadlifts, and was thinking of adding them in when I'm more confident.

Start out light, and use a lifting belt until you are comfortable with your form. Watch some videos on how to do them, and how not to do them.
  • impojr
    Options
    i am by no means a fitness pro - but if you are doing strength 3x a week, then you can go full body each time - as there is rest between each session.

That's true! I'll take that into consideration
    When people say 'I don't wanna get too bulky' it really ****s me off that they don't clarify. Pardon my language.
    Do you mean :

I understand the frustration - trying to explain my goals is one of the hardest things to do. To be honest, all of those you showed were a little too bulky for my taste - I did say some people you could google to find my ideal body, but here's an image:

tumblr_mf7upqtc2E1rv0a7qo1_500.jpg

I've researched the above person and they do weights, so I know I'm not going on a wild goose chase
    I'd like to hear what others have to say, but I would skip the ab work, focus on compound lifts, like deadlifts, squats, bench, and barbell rows, where you can lift some serious weight. All these lifts will work your core good enough for bulking, and you will lose definition in a bulk anyway. You may want to check out bodybuilding.com, or T-nation. They have some good articles and routines that you can follow.

Thanks for the websites! I'll look at them now!
  • MrJase
    MrJase Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have been on this routine for a while now and I'm seeing steady gains:

Monday-Pull
    Dead lifts or power cleans,
    Barbell row,
    Pull ups,
    Shrugs,
    DB curl,
    Abs.

Wednesday-Push
    Bench,
    Military’s,
    Close grip bench,
    Dips,
    Head bangers,
    Abs

Friday-Legs
    Squat,
    leg press,
    Leg raise,
    Calves,
    Abs

You can start out with lighter weights to you feel comfortable and you have good form then increase. Try and increase the weight every workout and you will be doing fine
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

good choice, though he seems to be wearing blusher... you dont need to do that!
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    So your going for 12 - 13% body fat, slenderish look. Can't say i'm stoked about the choice. I think you could attain a far more impressive yet equally aesthetic physique but it comes down to personal preference I guess.
  • impojr
    Options
    So your going for 12 - 13% body fat, slenderish look. Can't say i'm stoked about the choice. I think you could attain a far more impressive yet equally aesthetic physique but it comes down to personal preference I guess.

I have less than that amount of body fat already, I think the guy in the picture has less to be honest
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

I agree. T nation has a plan for a total body workout that is much better (IMO). http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/totalbody_training
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    If you are naturally lean, making sure you get enough food in you will be as much of an issue as lifting.

Make sure you get a really good amount of protein in you and eat over your maintenance calories. You can go 10-20% over to start with, and see how your body reacts and adjust accordingly. Too much of a surplus and you will see some fat gain (probably) and too little will stall your progress.

As for a training routine, I'd stick with a fullbody routine if you are going to be lifting 3x week. I currently do this:

Squats 10 reps x 3 sets
    Bench Press 8-10 reps x 3 sets
    Barbell Rows 8-10 x 3
    Overhead Press 8-10 x 3
    Deadlifts (I do stiff legged at the moment) 6-8 x 3
    Pullups to failure x 3 sets

I'd give this a go as a starting point, it's an excellent full body workout and will give you a good starting point to build some strength, As you progress you might want to split it up and add some assistance exercises but for now this should serve you well.
  • dave4d
    Options

That's true! I'll take that into consideration
    Do you mean :

I understand the frustration - trying to explain my goals is one of the hardest things to do. To be honest, all of those you showed were a little too bulky for my taste - I did say some people you could google to find my ideal body, but here's an image:

I've researched the above person and they do weights, so I know I'm not going on a wild goose chase

Thanks for the websites! I'll look at them now!

I had a similar build about 5 years ago. I did mine through cutting, though. He looks like he has a lean mass of around 140 lbs, if his height is similar to mine.
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    My hypertrophy A workout:

Monday: Chest

Barbell Bench 4x10reps
    Dumbbell Fly 4x12-15reps
    Incline Dumbbell Bench Press 4x10reps
    Decline Cable Fly 4x10reps
    Dips 4x10reps
    Incline Cable Fly 7x6reps

Tuesday: Back

Pullups 3x10reps
    Dead lift 4x10reps
    Bent Over Row 4x10reps
    Reverse Grip Bent Over Row 4x10reps
    One arm dumbbell row 4x10reps
    Iso-seated Row 4x10reps

Wednesday: Shoulders + Traps

Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4x10reps
    Seated Side Lateral 4x10reps
    Barbell front raise 4x10reps
    Dumbbell Rear Delt fly 4x10reps
    Peck Deck Rear Delt Fly 4x10reps

Barbell Shrugs 4x10reps
    Reverse Barbell Shrugs 4x10reps
    Upright Row 4x10reps
    Dumbbell Shrugs 4x10reps

Thursday: Biceps + Tricep + Forearms

Easy Barbell Curl 4x10reps
    Preacher Curls 4x10reps
    Alternating Supernating Dumbbell Curls 4x10reps
    Incline Dumbbel Curls 4x10reps

Overhead Tricep extension 4x10reps
    Tricep Pushdown 4x10reps
    Tricep Pulldown 4x10reps
    One-arm Cable tricep pulldown 4x10reps

Alternating Hammer Curls 4x15reps
    Wrist Curls 4x15reps
    Reverse Wrist Curls 4x15reps
    Reverse Barbbell Curls 4x15reps

Friday: Quadriceps

Leg Extensions 4x12reps
    Front Squats 4x10reps
    Vertical Leg Press 4x10reps
    Hack Squats 4x10reps

Saturday: Hamstrings + Calves

Barbell Lunges (hamstring variation) 4x10reps
    Stiff-leg Dead lift 4x10reps
    Leg Curls 4x10reps
    Reverse Leg Extensions 4x10reps

Barbell Calf Raise 4x20reps
    Donkey Calf Raise 4x20reps
    Leg Press Calf Raise 4x20reps
    Machine Calf Raise 4x20reps

This is my 6 day hypertrophy A split. PM me if you'd like some more ideas on my hypertrophy B, Strength A + B workouts.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    "I'm also doing insanity, and want to finish that, so I do that in the morning 6 days a week."

STOP WASTING YOUR ENERGY. HIIT AND Insanity? Are you not listening?

Jackknife Crossovers (3 sets of 10) - No
    Crunch (3 sets of 10) - No
    Corkscrews (3 sets of 10) - No
    Russian Twists (3 sets of 10) - No
    Body weight Hyper extension (3 sets of 10) - No. Do deads.
    Body weight Leg Raise Oblique (3 sets of 10/15) - Do hanging leg raises.
    Crossover Crunch (3 sets of 10) - No.

Body weight Pushups (3-4 sets of 10) - ok
    Barbell Bench Press (3-4 sets of heavy) - good
    Lying Dumbbell Bench Press (3 sets of heavy) - as well as barbell?
    Lying Dumbbell Fly (3 sets of heavy) - yes

Barbell Squat (3-5 sets of heavy) - good
    Machine Leg Curl (3-4 sets of heavy) - nah
    Machine Leg Extension (3-4 sets of heavy) - if you must
    Leg Press (3-4 sets of heavy) - after squatting?
    Calf Raise on Leg Press (3-4 sets of heavy) - yes or just hold dbs and do calf raises?
    Body weight Leg Press (3-5 sets of 10) - squat heavier?
    Machine Calf Raise (3-5 sets of 10) (I don't know the name but I think it's a machine you can also do squats on) - suppose so

Behind Neck Barbell Shoulder Press (3-4 sets of heavy) - no
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press (3 sets of heavy) - yes
    Machine Shoulder Press (3 sets of heavy) - no
    Dumbbell Fly (3 sets of heavy) - lateral raises? yes
    Lateral Pulldown (3 sets of heavy) - do pull ups
    Standing Barbell Bicep Curl (3-4 sets of heavy) - no
    Preacher Barbell Bicep Curl (3 sets of heavy) - no
    Body weight Dip (3-5 sets of 10) - yes
    Seated Dumbbell Tricep Extension (3-4 sets of heavy) - no. hitting tris when you bench
    Triceps Pushdown (3 sets of heavy) - no. dips should cover this.
    Standing Facing Away Cable Triceps Extension (3-4 sets of heavy) - no.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest that routine and some of the ones suggested so far are terrible for a beginner. You have an entire day for abs and chest yet are trying to cram in back, shoulders and arms into 1 session.

Frequency is far more important than volume when you begin training.

Look at a full body 3 times per week or an upper lower split, I prefer upper/lower (training 4 times per week so that is hitting each muscle twice per week)

The basis or your training should be

squat or squat variation.
    deadlift
    bench
    Rows
    overhead press
    chin ups / pull ups
    dips
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    I'm going to be honest that routine and some of the ones suggested so far are terrible for a beginner. You have an entire day for abs and chest yet are trying to cram in back, shoulders and arms into 1 session.

Frequency is far more important than volume when you begin training.

Look at a full body 3 times per week or an upper lower split, I prefer upper/lower (training 4 times per week so that is hitting each muscle twice per week)

The basis or your training should be

squat or squat variation.
    deadlift
    bench
    Rows
    overhead press
    chin ups / pull ups
    dips

you mean mine? if so I agree, the split is too high a volume and frequency for beginners. But i've been lifting for going into my 4th year now and I wasn't suggesting he do the split, just get some ideas.