good arm exercise

Options
I just recently started weight training and would like some suggestions on the best exercises to increase arm strength and size. I maxed out on the bench press at 110 and realize I need a lot of work.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    It depends, which arm muscle?
  • brscott22
    Options
    I need to work on my biceps size. Flexed my arm is 10.5" and I would like to add a few inches. My legs are the same too
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    If you want to work on biceps, some good old fashioned bicep curl will definitely help. Just make sure to even it out and do some tricep work. For triceps I like to use the pulley and do some pull downs. You always want to make sure that one you work one muscle that you work the opposite one as well to stay balanced. Hopefully one of the massive body builder dudes will see this and give more insight than I can provide.
  • ror222
    Options
    Hello dude,my suggestion to you that join gym and do exercise of biceps which is good for the arm muscles and secondly most affective exercise to grow up the arm muscle and strong is that swimming...whats your suggestion on my point of view??
  • brscott22
    Options
    Hello dude,my suggestion to you that join gym and do exercise of biceps which is good for the arm muscles and secondly most affective exercise to grow up the arm muscle and strong is that swimming...whats your suggestion on my point of view??
    I think swimming is a great suggestion, I have heard that before but haven't gotten started.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I just recently started weight training and would like some suggestions on the best exercises to increase arm strength and size. I maxed out on the bench press at 110 and realize I need a lot of work.
    Biceps have almost nothing to do with your bench press, so don't let that be your criteria for bicep strength. Your best bet would be a workout routine focusing on heavy compound lifts - chins and rows will give your biceps plenty of work. You can throw in some isolation exercises (i.e., one of the various forms of curls), but make them the "accessory" lifts rather than the main focus. If you google "bulking routine", you'll see that the vast majority of them involve lots of compound lifts and few isolation moves.

Gaining size is difficult if you're simultaneously trying to lose weight. Putting on muscle requires eating over your maintenance calories (with plenty of protein) along with heavy workouts. There will usually be a period of "newbie gains", but it will generally only be a couple/few pounds of muscle at most - in other words, you're not going to pack on the muscle while losing weight.
  • brscott22
    Options
    great, thanks for the info
    Biceps have almost nothing to do with your bench press, so don't let that be your criteria for bicep strength. Your best bet would be a workout routine focusing on heavy compound lifts - chins and rows will give your biceps plenty of work. You can throw in some isolation exercises (i.e., one of the various forms of curls), but make them the "accessory" lifts rather than the main focus. If you google "bulking routine", you'll see that the vast majority of them involve lots of compound lifts and few isolation moves.

Gaining size is difficult if you're simultaneously trying to lose weight. Putting on muscle requires eating over your maintenance calories (with plenty of protein) along with heavy workouts. There will usually be a period of "newbie gains", but it will generally only be a couple/few pounds of muscle at most - in other words, you're not going to pack on the muscle while losing weight.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

^ Yep. Pick a strength program like Starting strength, Stronglifts 5x5 and go to work. Do either while in a deficit to lose body fat and get stronger or do either while eating in a surplus to add strength and size. Cant really do both at the same time so pick a goal you want to do first.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Since you recently started, the best bang for your buck is going to be from following a heavy compound lifting program. Worrying about your biceps size right now is like trying to pick out the right speedo for your bodybuilding debut... it's a bit early for that yet.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Here's a great article that discusses various bulking/muscle gain methodologies:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html

I'd encourage you to poke around and read other articles at that site as well - there's a wealth of information about training and nutrition there.